Wiki Posts
Search

Better to arrive at EWR or JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by FenLandK
You're on the wrong side of the island for JFK there, and a lot closer to the Lincoln tunnel.
I find it hard to believe that's the critical issue. Once you've got through the midtown tunnel, the taxi across to 9th only takes about ten minutes, even in the late afternoon. The unpredictable bit is between JFK and the tunnel.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I find it hard to believe that's the critical issue. Once you've got through the midtown tunnel, the taxi across to 9th only takes about ten minutes, even in the late afternoon. The unpredictable bit is between JFK and the tunnel.
I didn't say it was

I was purely making a geographical comparison with the Lincoln tunnel.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FenLandK
You're on the wrong side of the island for JFK there, and a lot closer to the Lincoln tunnel.
If traffic is not a factor (and that's a big "if"), the preferred motor route from EWR to the Gansevoort would be through the Holland Tunnel, which should save about two miles over the Lincoln.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Gansevoort Hotel, of course.
At 9th and 13th.
So passé - The Standard at 848 Washington Street is the design hotel of the moment.

The last time I stayed at the Gansevoort, I flew in on the 185 and used the Newark Liberty Airport Express coach service to travel into Manhattan. From Bryant Park, the Gansevoort is a short cab ride. Only downside being, I arrived about an hour too early to check in
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Prospero
So passé - The Standard at 848 Washington Street is the design hotel of the moment.
You are just so out of the loop. It was the design hotel of last year until people got reports from those who've actually stayed there - I don't know anyone in New York who would recommend it now. I tried the Standard last year and found it whimsical and childish. The furniture comes from Ikea. The glass partition between the shower and the bed isn't good design - it's just a joke. I have several friends who've stayed there and we're all back at the Gansevoort now. I even know people who've checked out of the Standard mid-stay and moved to the Gansevoort they found it so horrible. The only good thing about it is the views.

Plus I'm now classified as a regular at the Gansevoort and can get a 10-20% discount plus a double upgrade. But that's by the by.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
At the moment flying into EWR is the better bet because of delays at JFK due to runway closure for the next few months.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Holland tunnel surely...
Took me 25 minutes to drive from the NJ Turnpike I95 outside Newark Airport to the Lincoln Tunnel last night - Holland tunnel will be easier.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

You are just so out of the loop. It was the design hotel of last year until people got reports from those who've actually stayed there - I don't know anyone in New York who would recommend it now. I tried the Standard last year and found it whimsical and childish. The furniture comes from Ikea. The glass partition between the shower and the bed isn't good design - it's just a joke. I have several friends who've stayed there and we're all back at the Gansevoort now. I even know people who've checked out of the Standard mid-stay and moved to the Gansevoort they found it so horrible. The only good thing about it is the views.

Plus I'm now classified as a regular at the Gansevoort and can get a 10-20% discount plus a double upgrade. But that's by the by.
For a Manhattan property, The Standard does challenge certain conventions. I'll grant you that.

To be fair, the furniture is a mix of bespoke and classic modernist design.

If you're getting a 20% discount and double upgrade at the Gansevoort, there really is little to debate here.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Yes, my bad. Holland tunnel it is.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:25 am

The 175 is normally just fine for those who are first off the plane - there's only one CX flight that comes in around that time, and is 15 minutes later. So worst case, you have one jumbo ahead of you, but normally you have nothing.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
It is generally a more reliable journey time from EWR than JFK. However LeisureFirst you asked how bad immigration could be at EWR and if my memory serves me correctly, beware of the many CO 757-200's that arrive into the same terminal from the UK around lunchtime (MAN, BRS, BHX, GLA, etc)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
In my (admittedly pretty limited) experience arrivals can be a bit hit or miss.

But for what its worth, coming into JFK on the 117 I made a reasonably quick escape off the upper deck but then spent an hour in the immigration queue behind several hundred people who had just arrived off an ANA flight. Conversely, arriving into EWR I was second or third off the 185 and having a cigarette within 20 minutes. Good luck whichever you choose.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by BA235
In my (admittedly pretty limited) experience arrivals can be a bit hit or miss.

But for what its worth, coming into JFK on the 117 I made a reasonably quick escape off the upper deck but then spent an hour in the immigration queue behind several hundred people who had just arrived off an ANA flight. Conversely, arriving into EWR I was second or third off the 185 and having a cigarette within 20 minutes. Good luck whichever you choose.
I was on the 115 last night and there was no-one ahead of us at JFK passport control, around 830pm. A few bags from an IB flight were still on the carousel but the pax had already been processed.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
The Gansevoort? How six years ago. And take that from a New Yorker.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by stevenshev
The Gansevoort? How six years ago. And take that from a New Yorker.
So, where would you put up your friends?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.