Wiki Posts
Search

Miami (ad)vice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by dmahon
If I were staying downtown, the Four Seasons looks well located.
Originally Posted by jimcbob
The Four Seasons in Miami is a fantastic hotel.
Thanks. The Four Seasons looks great but the utilitarian in me wonders how much we will enjoy it being that we will arrive around 8pm at best and be out again by 7.45am the following morning. It's a definite for next time though.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Thanks. The Four Seasons looks great but the utilitarian in me wonders how much we will enjoy it being that we will arrive around 8pm at best and be out again by 7.45am the following morning. It's a definite for next time though.
If you want cheaper EXCELLENT hotels go to Brickell - the VICEROY and the CONRAD both excellent and often at bargain prices
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaz68
hahaha funny how you managed to drop in the "in first" in to the post.
I must have missed the joke. Should I have used capital letters instead?

Traveling to MRU in FIRST

FIRST Upgrade

Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:52 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Palmer

I recommend the Epic Hotel in downtown Miami.
Agree with that - been to some cracking parties in Area 31 as well...
As a Miami Beach resident I'll concur with most of what said here.
Very occasionally you get a temporary immigration checkpoint for the BA flight which greatly speeds up the process as it is away from the main hall. I can be from 64K to my pool in South Beach in 40 minutes if I get that. There is no logic to whether you get it. In the past year and 15 or so arrivals into Miami (all 209), I have had it 3 times.

However it can be a lot longer if you get the general immigration hall. Bear in mind that where you queue up in the immigration hall can have a huge bearing on whether it takes you 15 mins to get through or an hour.
I'll say no more cos every time I mention where to stand, I get told off...

Take a cab downtown - it takes 15 mins and much nicer than anything the airport hotel or surrounds can offer.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hi Baggageinhall

1) I was on the early BA flight to Miami in 2008 and on arrival and although we were in FIRST it took a wee while about 35-40 minutes if I remember to clear immigration as there were not many Staff on. It may be quicker if it was manned more sufficiently.

2) We were downtown within about 75 minutes.

3) Stayed at the Ritz Carlton which was overall very good and right on the Beach.

4) Went to see friends in Lakeland so can't answer this part but shouldn't
take that long. Google Earth it for views/distances.

Worth staying downtown/South Beach even if for a night. I always wanted to see it after many years of watching Miami Vice and the opening helicopter scenes but as being in my mid 40's , some (younger) ones on this forum may not know what i'm talking about !!

Have a great trip. Regards

Pete
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
Quick Miami Trip

i) Average 5mins to 30mins

ii) to the beach 15-18 mins by cab if you take the airport expressway to about 41st and colllins and costs around $38

iii) I would go to the beach, eat at lincoln road - sushi samba is excellent and stay at the W South Beach, very cool hotel and they have a good chinese there (Mr.Chow) as an alternative to Sushi Samba.
Also going to the Setai for drinks is nice.
A walk along Ocean Drive is cool too - with a Milkshake stop at Jonny Rockets .

iV) if you stay on the beach and not in the W hotel area then stay as close to 41st as possible as this is the airport expressway. So there will be the least amount of traffic in the mornings. Also the Fountain Bleau is really cool and around 42nd st , but i have never stayed there.
As mentioned before the cab from 41st normally takes me less than 20mins from the beach so allow an extra 10-15mins for a no stress driving experience to the airpot. i.e. 35mins total.
As for check in, I have never flown to Costa Rica so I cant comment there.
But I check in with AA MIA to LHR , usually about 1:10 - 1:30 hours before hand.
Good Luck , Have a great time in Miami

---------------------------
Forgive the awful pun but with much of the heavy discussion on the forum at the moment, I thought it might be of some light relief.

I ask for some advice from Sunrisegirl and the other Miami experts on here.

Mrs BiH and I are flying into Miami on the 209 (in First) in July which arrives at 17.50. We are off again the following morning at 9.50am to SJO, Costa Rica on AA

With that in mind:

i) What are the queues at immigration like at 6pm? Realistically, what time should I expect to be through the various CBP checks?

ii) How long will it take to get into downtown Miami at that time of night? We are going to Costa Rica (for a wedding) with some friends who are going to Miami for a few days beforehand so we could meet up with them?

iii) If we decide to stay near the airport, any recommendations? The Miami airport hotel looks tempting due to its convenience the following morning. Is there anywhere semi-decent in the airport or nearby to get some dinner? (The hotel restaurant looks quite good, but I'd like some options)

iv) The flight to Costa Rica the following morning: 9.50am departure. We will have hand baggage only. None of us have status on OW. What time do you recommend arriving at the airport? For the people who will definitely be in downtown Miami, how long will it take them to get to the airport?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Virgin Gold
Miami Immigration Yesterday

Just a quick one. Came through Miami yesterday off the VS05, arrived a little early at just after 1500hrs. Immigration/Passport Control hall was packed and even though almost every desk was open it still took 45-50mins to clear. The desks closest to the Crew desk at the far end of the hall did seem to attract shorter lines.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by heartybob
Bump your post after 10 days or so - SRG is having a loooooooong weekend
It was a very looooooong weekend, and a great one at that

When I went into MIA a few days ago I was first into immigration and there wasn't a soul there - just 10-12 officers waiting to help us! When I asked where everybody was I was told that this was a special immigration area they used just for BA passengers. Whether this is a permanent or temporary move or not I don't know, but I was clear from there is less than 5 minutes (as is normally the case when I arrive in MIA).
I was on 207 which normally arrives at a less busy time (2pm), though we were delayed by about an hour or so and arrived in MIA about 4pm (before UK clocks changed) which is busier.

A friend and I were discussing this and he said he wondered if they've decided to do this for BA as the majority of pax on BA flights will be visitors on ESTA/Visa Waiver who are quick and easy to process, rather than many from South America/Caribbean who often require more questioning because of the potential to overstay, etc.

However, walking to Customs we passed another Immigration area (he one used by those on South/Latin American and Caribbean flights) which was absolutely heaving and would have taken an hour or more to clear.

If there's any help you need about MIA please feel free to PM me.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Forgive the awful pun but with much of the heavy discussion on the forum at the moment, I thought it might be of some light relief.

I ask for some advice from Sunrisegirl and the other Miami experts on here.

Mrs BiH and I are flying into Miami on the 209 (in First) in July which arrives at 17.50. We are off again the following morning at 9.50am to SJO, Costa Rica on AA

With that in mind:

i) What are the queues at immigration like at 6pm? Realistically, what time should I expect to be through the various CBP checks?

ii) How long will it take to get into downtown Miami at that time of night? We are going to Costa Rica (for a wedding) with some friends who are going to Miami for a few days beforehand so we could meet up with them?

iii) If we decide to stay near the airport, any recommendations? The Miami airport hotel looks tempting due to its convenience the following morning. Is there anywhere semi-decent in the airport or nearby to get some dinner? (The hotel restaurant looks quite good, but I'd like some options)

iv) The flight to Costa Rica the following morning: 9.50am departure. We will have hand baggage only. None of us have status on OW. What time do you recommend arriving at the airport? For the people who will definitely be in downtown Miami, how long will it take them to get to the airport?

Many thanks in advance.
I travel to MIA quite frequently:

1. Recent experience is very good - hardly any wait time (if getting off plane towards the front). If lucky could be through airport in 20 minutes (a good 10/15 minute walk from gate to passport control) but more likely 30.

2. Downtown, Coral Gables or event the beach won't be more than 20-25 min taxi. Taxi to South Beach approx $35-$40

3. If I'm arriving on 209 and am staying for only 1 night I tend to stay at the Sofitel - clean, functional and certainly much better than the Hilton. It's not on airport but close enough (5 mins) by blue taxi. If I'm in MIA for longer I tend to stay on South Beach (loads of hotel options)

4. My experience of flights to Caribbean or LATAM is that it pays to get to MIA early - and if only hand luggage check in on-line.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ian T
3. If I'm arriving on 209 and am staying for only 1 night I tend to stay at the Sofitel - clean, functional and certainly much better than the Hilton. It's not on airport but close enough (5 mins) by blue taxi. If I'm in MIA for longer I tend to stay on South Beach (loads of hotel options)
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been meaning to report back.

I have managed to get a great rate at the Sofitel which includes Breakfast and a $50 credit which should (just about) cover a light supper.

There should be a trip report by mid July. This will be my first BA F trip and will include domestic flight in Costa Rica on a 9 seater to/from a landing strip on a sugar plantation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.