Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Minimum cancellation notification? - and my worst CW to date

Minimum cancellation notification? - and my worst CW to date

Old Mar 24, 10, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Question Minimum cancellation notification? - and my worst CW to date

I was confirmed on BA174 last night (Tuesday - not a strike day) at 2001 from JFK to LHR. I checked the Arrivals and Departures section of ba.com at least daily and everything was looking fine right up until Sunday.

I then receive a text message, and also an email, about 45 hours before the scheduled departure to tell me the flight is cancelled. I thought 48 hours was the cut-off after which compensation is due? Am I wrong about this?

After several failed attempts to call the numbers BA recommended I call in the US (which apparently didn't exist) I called back home to the Silver line and managed to just get onto another service that evening. Now 15E on a 4-class 777 is the not the same as 62K, but at least it has extra legroom so I thought I'd be able to sleep.

It turned out to be my worst CW experience to date. The food in the lounge at JFK was absolutely execrable. Salmon fillets cooked to death and dried up under heat lamps or rock hard slices of pork in greasy goo? And the wine was all of a quality (I tasted every one) that I would be embarassed to serve at home even if just with the simplest of meals with my boyfriend.

During the flight itself, the one food/drink item I wanted before going to sleep, namely a pre-flight glass of champagne, wasn't available - no pre-flight drinks at all. And worst of all, there is no partition between 15E and 15F and the guy in 15F managed on three occasions throughout the flight to fall out of his bed and come crashing into me. I had a miserable night's sleep and needed to get some kip at home before coming into work - very late.

Furthermore, the Arrivals Lounge was not up to par. There were no spa treatments at all, "because there's only one of us here" the girl cheerily explained. Yet another service I'd paid for and not received. And the breakfast has gone downhill: I got to the scrambled egg as it was brought out from the kitchen and it was still cold.

Yes, BA got me to my destination within a couple of hours of the original time, so I was a lot luckier than some pax. But this was absolutely not a premium service. For my next trip to New York (in June) I'm pretty determined to at least test what the competition is like. Delta?

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Mar 24, 10 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 24, 10, 8:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
For my next trip to New York (in June) I'm pretty determined to at least test what the competition is like. Delta?
Try Continental into EWR. I was very impressed with their BusinessFirst product. Food and wine was great, with similar AVOD to BA (on the 757's). They should have the new flat seats on all the LHR flights by June.

They are still using the SkyTeam lounge in T4, despite now being Star Alliance.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 24, 10, 8:19 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
Send a letter to BAEC, it does sound like a pretty bad experience and they should be made aware.

However you couldn't pay me to fly with Delta over BA.
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
. Now 15E on a 4-class 777 is the not the same as 62K, but at least it has extra legroom so I thought I'd be able to sleep.

<snip>

During the flight itself, the one food/drink item I wanted before going to sleep, namely a pre-flight glass of champagne, wasn't available - no pre-flight drinks at all. And worst of all, there is no partition between 15E and 15F and the guy in 15F managed on three occasions throughout the flight to fall out of his bed and come crashing into me. I had a miserable night's sleep and needed to get some kip at home before coming into work - very late.
My worst CW experience was from EWR - also in row 15 on a 777 - 15A this time so no issues with other pax crashing into me. But again, no pre-flight drinks, slow and lethargic service, main course almost missed (I was just not served until I went to the galley to ask why not) and breakfast completely missed. I was recommended to use the arrivals lounge because they had just completely forgotten to serve me! Oh, and don't forget the baby which sounded like it was being tortured just behind the curtain for 3 hours... However I have to say that my CW experiences have usually been far better than this and, as often as possible, upstairs...
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Apart from the lack of pre-departure drink I don't think you've got much to complain about.
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Apart from the lack of pre-departure drink I don't think you've got much to complain about.
Especially not getting a spa treatment. I have been trying to get one of those for about 10 years!
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Setting aside the behaviour of the other passenger (and poor seating design which allowed it to happen), and allowing for the fact the BA can never guarantee any particular seat so you can't really demand reparation (just get really really grumpy) if you're moved from the best CW seat to the worst, how about:

the provision of disgusting barely edible slop in the CW dining room at JFK? Since it is much easier to prepare good food on the ground than on a plane, pre-flight dining should be better than on-board club food. Yet it wasn't even close. The food I had on board going out (LCY-JFK) was pretty decent Club fare (not F standard, but not bad), but what they had at JFK I'm be ashamed to feed to a dog. If they served it in the cafeteria at work, I'd just head off to some outside resataurant instead even if it meant paying four times as much.

Also, no one has answered my question about cancellation notice periods. I thought there was a minimum period and if you got less notice than this some kind of statutory comp kicked in. Or maybe that only applies if the replacement flight results in a delay to your arrival of more than four hours (which it didn't).
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srbrenna View Post
Especially not getting a spa treatment. I have been trying to get one of those for about 10 years!

I know about this and it's usually a long wait, although I've had better luck at Arrivals than Departures. But no spa treatments whatsoever? - that's a new one on me. With no sense of apology about it? BA should just abolish the spa altogether rather than advertising a service that exists only on certain days and then only if you wait four hours.
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:33 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Considering the cost of a CW TATL, I'd have to disagree. I've got 2 sectors of a RTW coming up in BA J and could have chosen CX for one of the legs which I'm hoping I won't regret but reading stories like this makes me wonder....

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Also, no one has answered my question about cancellation notice periods. I thought there was a minimum period and if you got less notice than this some kind of statutory comp kicked in. Or maybe that only applies if the replacement flight results in a delay to your arrival of more than four hours (which it didn't).
The cancellation period is actually 2 weeks, but as BA got you to your destination within 4 hours you would only be entitled to 'care' at the departure point which, arguably, the lounge provided.

As to the quality of the 'food' this is just typical of BA in my view - the food they serve is slop. Complain, but it won't change the product. I'd try the competition. As DYKWIA said, Continental are pretty good now - after our blanket ban on BA at work our MD used them a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed.

BAH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Setting aside the behaviour of the other passenger (and poor seating design which allowed it to happen), ........

the provision of disgusting barely edible slop in the CW dining room at JFK?
Again, nothing much to complain about in my opinion. What you find disgusting others will find acceptable.

For me Greggs pies are delicious but others will find them disgusting.
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
QUOTE Furthermore, the Arrivals Lounge was not up to par. There were no spa treatments at all, "because there's only one of us here" the girl cheerily explained. Yet another service I'd paid for and not received. And the breakfast has gone downhill: I got to the scrambled egg as it was brought out from the kitchen and it was still cold.

Yep, it's been the same for me on six long hauls so far this yeah, both departures and arrivals.

Is this a permanent move in T5 arrivals to one staff member?
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I then receive a text message, and also an email, about 45 hours before the scheduled departure to tell me the flight is cancelled. I thought 48 hours was the cut-off after which compensation is due? Am I wrong about this?
With that kind of notice (i.e. less than 7 days), you are entitled to compensation if you are put on a flight which leaves more than one hour before the original schedule or arrives more than 2 hours after the original schedule.
The amount of compensation for long-haul is 600, which can be reduced to 300 if you arrive no more than 4 hours after the original scheduled time.

All of this assumes that there are no 'extraordinary circumstances' which can be invoked by the carrier.
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
The CO "New BusinessFirst Flat Bed Seat" ,which I tried at the BTS, is actually very good and quite comfortable both as a bed and a seat. Good connections for your own AV stuff as well as a power point and (they told me) good food.

This is not a great picture of it.
N.B.The usual caveat applies about getting out of window seats!

If you are stuick with the old Wedgie seat then

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 24, 10 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, nothing much to complain about in my opinion. What you find disgusting others will find acceptable.

For me Greggs pies are delicious but others will find them disgusting.
Under that principle, it would be absolutely fine to serve prison slop in F?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: