Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I booked a BA ticket and ended up flying on Ryanair.

I booked a BA ticket and ended up flying on Ryanair.

Old Mar 19, 10, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB
Angry I booked a BA ticket and ended up flying on Ryanair.

Yes indeed...this is what could be coming to this forum next week.

Ryanair are substituting for BA on this weekends LGW-GLA route.

Glasgow
BA 2956 FR B738
BA 2958 FR B738
BA 2964 FR B738
BA 2966 CXD
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:16 am

It's an interesting prospect, if you've paid for a full sevice airline (i.e. bags, food and drink included) but are moved to one without this what happens.... I sense a lot of compensation claims coming up!
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
FFS I was joking about Michael O'Leary helping out a fellow Irishman yesterday. Never expected it to happen
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Flis View Post
It's an interesting prospect, if you've paid for a full sevice airline (i.e. bags, food and drink included) but are moved to one without this what happens.... I sense a lot of compensation claims coming up!
I assume that BA baggage allowances apply and if there's food and drink on board it'll be complimentary. Remember it's a FR wetlease so you'll get Ryanair discomfort but the service will be specced by BA.
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Yes indeed...this is what could be coming to this forum next week.

Ryanair are substituting for BA on this weekends LGW-GLA route.

Glasgow
BA 2956 FR B738
BA 2958 FR B738
BA 2964 FR B738
BA 2966 CXD
One would hope that BA's legal team have signed up Ryanair not to make capital of this in the future.
Even more reason to hope this is settled Today.
Don't forget to keep some change for the scratch cards.
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by layz View Post
Remember it's a FR wetlease so you'll get Ryanair discomfort but the service will be specced by BA.
Is it staffed by BA crew, or are the Ryanair crew part of the lease? Although, +1 from those that wanted non-reclining seats in domestic...

Now, we just need to see if BA try to sell Speedy boarding
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Tesco ClubCard, PriorityClub Gold now, Amex Gold
Ryanair and BA have one thing in common don't forget - their hatred of destructive trade union scumbags.

So it is unsuprising that O'Lairy is renting metal to BA!
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Is it staffed by BA crew, or are the Ryanair crew part of the lease? Although, +1 from those that wanted non-reclining seats in domestic...

Now, we just need to see if BA try to sell Speedy boarding
Wetlease so Ryanair crew. It will be a doddle for them, handing out packs of birdseed instead of having to sell 50 different items from the trolley, flogging scratchcards etc! Once they realise how easy the BA life is (the crew won't be cleaning the plane themselves either) they'll be rushing for jobs.

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 19, 10 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Wetlease so Ryanair crew. It will be a doddle for them, handing out packs of birdseed instead of having to sell 50 different items from the trolley, flogging scratchcards etc!
I wonder if they'll play the Ryanair adverts, or that annoying "Another on-time flight" celebration bugle when they land

Yes, I've flow Ryanair too much; the downside of BA's regions policy.
Old Mar 19, 10, 9:22 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
It's not just GLA, it's also LGW - MAN & EDI!

Even more interesting is that the BA flights operated by Ryanair are now bookable again on the BA flights numbers (having re-instated the flights using Ryanair Metal they face the prospect of them going out half empty as most clients have been re-booked or sorted out the train!).

Even more interesting is that it is possible to book (and pay) for J on these flights . That will make for an interesting complaints? Unless they are hurriedly installing curtains on these Ryanair wetlease!

Yet even more interesting is that the BA flights are now wide open... Ryanair are offering 'BA Rescue fares for £69' (inc tax, excluding baggage & the multitude of usual Ryanair charges) for Stansted - Prestwick, yet you can go onto the BA website and book LGW-GLA for just £38 inc tax for this weekend!

So, if you really wanted to fly Ryanair, it's cheaper booking via the ba.com website

(note, this may actually not be interesting to anyone but me!).
Old Mar 19, 10, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
Do you plan on using one of these flights? If so I'd love to have a trip report

I'm interested in how they plan on doing this, do Ryanair seats have visible row numbers? I doubt they would as they'd never need them usually.
Old Mar 19, 10, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
On the contrary, it's very interesting and illustrates the value of FlyerTalk. You don't get this kind of information on regular websites.

As somebody who has travelled Europeasant on BA and one class on FR, I'd say some BA stalwarts would be pleasantly surprised with their FR experience. IME, the non-reclining seats are a plus, and the seatbelts seem able to contain me rather better than BA. Seat pitch is adequate. Just the glaring colour scheme to get used to.

Now if FR will board by row number, that will be an unexpected enhancement.
Old Mar 19, 10, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I never thought I'd see the day and thought this was a joke until I saw it on the BA site. I actually needed the shuttle to LHR on Sunday but it's cancelled - am half tempted to try this into LGW instead for the novelty value - having never been on FR / U2.

Fair play to BA though for trying to get everyone to their destination.

EDIT: Do the cabins still look like this? Maybe those adverts will be taken down and replaced with photos of the thames / the city to make us feel at home?
Old Mar 19, 10, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by wiluk View Post
Do the cabins still look like this?
Pretty much. Note the safety on board instructions on the rear of the seat in front, none of the sticky, dog-eared laminated pages you sometimes get elsewhere.

Why? Because there's no seatback pocket, so no sweet wrappers, chewing gum and the like.

Sickbags? Yes, in the overhead compartment. Of course, when you might need them - in turbulence, for example, they will be out of reach.
Old Mar 19, 10, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver), Aegean (Silver)
I thought it was a wind-up too...but yup...it's there on BA.com

Maybe WW is using them to try and really get a feel of the low-cost model and will be getting ideas about bring BA more to these standards. Let's hope not! He did it at EI (and they - EI- are now thinking about going away from the low-cost model! LOL)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: