Wiki Posts
Search

Called by name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Called by name

I know this is meant to happen - but it doesnt always. On my trip to MIA / MEX last week I was called by my name the whole time - by crew and CSD. Makes you feel very welcome.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by Ian T
I know this is meant to happen - but it doesnt always. On my trip to MIA / MEX last week I was called by my name the whole time - by crew and CSD. Makes you feel very welcome.
I find it happens more, the further forward you sit.....
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Or if you have an SPML
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Happened to me on a CE flight last night. They were just glancing at the passenger manifest as they worked they way down the aisle but still it was nice to be called Mr. Polar B.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Well it didn't happen the twice I was in 2A and the once I was in 3K but it did when I was in 3A. Although she got a hell of a surprise when she looked up and saw I was a Mr and not a Mrs.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
It happened to me on Sunday, when I nearly missed my flight!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI
As I've said here before, I find it very intrusive.

I don't mind, but I'd prefer not.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by David-A
As I've said here before, I find it very intrusive.
Doesn't bother me whether they do or they don't but I certainly don't find it intrusive and I can't think why anyone would.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:25 pm

Yes very intrusive!!! I wish BA.com website would allow us to purchase a premium assumed flight name that CC would refer to us by on board. I would gladly pay an extra £100 for the privilege, on top of all the airport taxes, fuel surcharges and advanced seat booking charges.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Also helps when
- you have a simple to pronounce surname
- you have a memorable one surname
- you are in Row 1, even in CE.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Also helps when
- you have a simple to pronounce surname
- you have a memorable one surname
- you are in Row 1, even in CE.
I agree... Row one usually gets the name treatment, especially when I say sorry, having just half knee capped them with a bar trolly...

I can cope with "Hello Mr. Smith" etc... Some, I just look and think it is best to give it a miss and revert back to "Sir" or "Madame" as I do not want to make a boob of myself, or embarrass the passenger fudging up their name.

Personally, I do not like it... On my recent TXL trip, I was greeted by name on boarding and recoiled on the inside about it...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I agree... Row one usually gets the name treatment, especially when I say sorry, having just half knee capped them with a bar trolly...
If any PAX is sitting in 1C or 1D and isn't sufficiently awake to avoid inconveniencing the CC by obstructing the free trolley movement, then they should instantly be evicted and sent behind the curtain!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:19 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Doesn't bother me whether they do or they don't but I certainly don't find it intrusive and I can't think why anyone would.
Becuase it feels like a data protection / privacy breach.

I know that they know my name form the manifest - indeed I'm glad they do, because I'm glad they officially know who everyone is. And I'm glad they get a slight picture of the traveller from any other details on the manifest too.

Generally, it's functionally unnecessary in most circumstances, and what it might gain by 'seeming' to be personal, it looses by being a breech of privacy and also overly familiar for some people (I'd don't mind the overly familiar bit, as I said, would be find 1-on-1).

If it was strictly or even essentially a 1-on-1 setup I would be fine. But in reality it is not a 1-on-1 setup, or anything approaching that. They are essentially broadcasting your name to the whole cabin.

Indeed, when I hear somebody elses name it just seems like their privacy has been invaded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with them being friendly and talkative, if they want, and I'm fine with them being welcoming. But just using my name from a list doesn't do that, and does do a lot else that I don't like.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
I love being referred to by name when flying... especially on those airlines that handle this most of the time. I think it adds to the air of exclusivity in a premium cabin... a bit like being welcomed back by name by the door man of the Mandarin Oriental.

I've often thought it would be one of the most cost effective ways to increase customer loyalty and care.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Because I hate my name and don't want to hear it.
The cost of getting my name legally changed is probative until my passport expires and isn’t really the best idea while I’m living and working where I currently am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.