Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Strike Dates: 20-22 March and 27-30 March (Dates Inclusive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Strike Dates: 20-22 March and 27-30 March (Dates Inclusive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by alnitak
I'm due on BA283 to LAX on the 19th, and BA278 on the 26th - in both cases the day before the strikes are due.

For the return flight in particular, what's the deal given that the strike comes into effect mid-flight?
BA crews do not strike downroute. This is an accepted position by all the travelling unions and BA. If you are on strike downroute who pays for your hotel room? Who pays for your return if you do not operate your rostered flight which may well fly without you? etc etc

So providing your flight leaves the UK you should be okay on the dates mentioned.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
BA rebooking even of flight not cancelled yet

I just moved my LHR-Hou flight bookings from 27th to 26th (hey, I might even get lunch on that one!). Most of you probably realise you can now do this if your flight is on ANY of the strike affected days (regardless of whether flight canx'ed yet) but just in case any don't know...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Tanyam99
Most of you probably realise you can now do this if your flight is on ANY of the strike affected days (regardless of whether flight canx'ed yet) but just in case any don't know...
Assuming space is available, do you get charged a different rate? Some colleagues are following me to LAX on the 20th, but we got the Club World tickets a couple of months ago when they were at £2k return. I somehow don't think BA will let them have that fare if they reschedule to the 19th.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Tanyam99
I just moved my LHR-Hou flight bookings from 27th to 26th (hey, I might even get lunch on that one!). Most of you probably realise you can now do this if your flight is on ANY of the strike affected days (regardless of whether flight canx'ed yet) but just in case any don't know...
That's fair. The service on these days will be affected, regardless of flight cancellation. I also think there is likely to be delays as BA will be running things close to the wire for timings to get as much metal in the air as possible.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Cancel one leg of open jaw

I've got an open jaw booked out on 21st March Gla to Mia, back on 6th April Barbados to GLA.

Does anyone know if I can get a refund on the outward leg and keep the return booking? BA Help line is very busy at the moment, for some reason
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by alnitak
Assuming space is available, do you get charged a different rate? Some colleagues are following me to LAX on the 20th, but we got the Club World tickets a couple of months ago when they were at £2k return. I somehow don't think BA will let them have that fare if they reschedule to the 19th.
Just needs to be space in the cabin, not in the fare class, so short answer is - no add cost.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Just needs to be space in the cabin, not in the fare class, so short answer is - no add cost.
+ 1 and I hope there won't be a problem on 26th having moved it, feeling pleased with myself (other than a extra night's hotel accommodation of course).
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH M&M FTL, KL Platinum, Aegean Bleu
During the snow chaos, BA were rebooking TATL passenger on LH and DL - anybody think BA will rebook premium class passengers this time around?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
WSJ Article on BA Cabin Crew Strike

Some further background on the dispute.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._LEFTWhatsNews
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Member
Think there will be any compensation for the fact our relaxing holiday is going to be overshaddowed wondering if / when we'll get home?? Doubt it somehow.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dirty_Idea
Trying to book a couple of AMS flights. About 30 minutes ago I had option for LHR on 22nd. No longer. All AMS flight on 20-22 are gone... unbookable.
On the BA Website it says they have stopped taking any bookings for flights on the strike days - so that will be why you can't book any.

Probably to stop FTers booking flights to get lots of miles
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:34 am

Just checked MMB which stated that my SFO - LHR - GLA flights falling within the second strike period are planned to operate as normal with the reduced catering onboard. But in the seat information box for SFO - LHR, it states that my flight "may not operate" due to industrial action, hmm.

My LHR - GLA flight on the 29th appears to be running as scheduled as there is no similar notice in the seat info box.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:35 am

i am due to fly to cape town on monday 22nd, am i right i saying that cape town is a profitable route for BA and therefore have a good chance of that flight not being disrupted.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Reedy
i am due to fly to cape town on monday 22nd, am i right i saying that cape town is a profitable route for BA and therefore have a good chance of that flight not being disrupted.
No. Given the flight time (twice as long as New York, for instance) it is low yielding. And BA could run 2 x New York flights with the same plane that does 1 x Cape Town flight.

There are also many alternatives to Cape Town - SAA and VS direct plus many indirect routes. Plus of course BA to JNB which presumably has more business pax. I'd be cancelling it if I was WW!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Question

I am flying LCY-JFK and JFK-LHR on March 18 and March 23 respectively. These are not strike days and my evening flight March 23 should not be affected as the inbound should be on the same day - pity as I really don't mind if my return is delayed by a few days.

Yet in MMB I get a big warning message saying amongst other things
So that you can better manage your travel plans you have the following options:
  • You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.
  • You may rebook these flights and other flights free of charge, subject to availability.
  • Please call us to rebook your flights.
  • You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking. Please call us to request this refund.
Anyone know why I have these options for flights on non-strike days?

Since my flights fall very close to strike days, I was expecthing them to be filling up with pax in a rush to move their strike-affected flights. Not a bit of it. Flights both still only 1/3 full on the seating plan [I know this isn't the whole story, but it's a bit of a guide.] exactly as they were last night.

I suppose it's only been a couple of hours, but people seem a bit slow. During the 2007 strike it seemed to only take around half a day before there was no space left on many flights close to strike day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.