EU approve BA/AA/IB tie up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:39 am
Original Poster

EU approve BA/AA/IB tie up

Some good news today at least

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8559872.stm

A big day for BA all round.

Branson doesnt like it so it must be good!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Beardy really is starting to sound like a stuck gramophone!

Last edited by OPebble; Mar 10, 2010 at 10:25 am
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Given the Bearded One started off in records it should be no surprise that he is sounding like one I suppose.

They quote him on the BusinessWeek site

Originally Posted by Beardy on BusinessWeek site
“I hope that the commissioner takes time to consider the proposals through the eyes of consumers before any decision is taken on whether it is given the go-ahead,”
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
And if you are listening Mr Commissioner if the flights to BOS can be better scheduled (spaced out) by this tie up then I as a consumer hope you will consider that I think it is a good idea.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:28 am

From the BBC:

But Virgin Atlantic argued that British Airways and American Airlines would still control 100% of the international routes in and out of Dallas, 80% of those in Boston, 70% of those in Miami and 68% of those in Chicago.
This from the same group that owns a majority stake in Virgin Trains, which enjoys the benefits of a "moderation of competition" clause in their franchise, preventing other train companies from stealing passengers from them by offering competing services
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ag51
From the BBC:

This from the same group that owns a majority stake in Virgin Trains, which enjoys the benefits of a "moderation of competition" clause in their franchise, preventing other train companies from stealing passengers from them by offering competing services
Who said life had to be fair? (Well Beardy probably did when having a whinge about the VS competition)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Nice, now how about something towards the east.

ATI tie up on the India routes with their future partner Kingfisher would be nice. It will hopefully stop BA taking a beating from Jet Airways as it is now.

Maybe something on the HKG routes with CX as well. I think OW have about 8 flights daily from LHR to HKG
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I am not reading any approval in this article. I only see that BA/IB/AA have offered some slots they'll give up...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I am not reading any approval in this article. I only see that BA/IB/AA have offered some slots they'll give up...
The Times article indicates a clear signal the tie up will get EU approval...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7056502.ece
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ag51
From the BBC:

I suspect that if he really wanted to fly to DFW he could find a way.

The majority of passengers on the AA DFW flight connect.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
Will this mean we will be able to earn miles/TP's on AA Flights? (Not that I want to not fly BA, but the option to fly AA is always nice!)
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
The Times article indicates a clear signal the tie up will get EU approval...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7056502.ece
A clear signal that they will approve still does not equate to an approval.
I think the title of the thread should have said "EU on track to approve..." or something of the sort.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by d3vski
Maybe something on the HKG routes with CX as well. I think OW have about 8 flights daily from LHR to HKG
This is what I found when I looked up HKG-LHR in late Jan

This weeks LHR-HKG:
NZ - 772 x4
BA - 744 x14
CX - 744 x21, 343 x7
QF - 744 x5
VS - 346 x7

58 flights/week between the 5 airlines on the route.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:59 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by ajws_83
Will this mean we will be able to earn miles/TP's on AA Flights? (Not that I want to not fly BA, but the option to fly AA is always nice!)
I believe that this is correct. And if so I wonder whether we will see a shift between AA and BA for premium passengers. I think that you might find more AA premium passengers would shift to BA metal because the hard and soft product (from what I hear on FT) is better.

Whether that brings BA commercial benefit (since there is revenue sharing on these routes I understand) I do not know.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Does this mean in future when I book (let us say LHR MIA return) one return ticket I will be booked on to BA one way and AA return? or may be offered MIA-MAD-LHR with combination of AA/IB or IB/BA based on the same price? That is what happened to Star and Sky on some routes (including TATL and Asia). That the booking engine try to book you into different carriers on the return trip. The only problem is the high fuel surcharge BA/IB imposed to customer. I will not be happy if I fly with AA a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.