Getting to JFK T7 in the rush hour

Old Mar 10, 10, 3:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonors, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
You don't have to hand your UK one in at all, I still have mine. As far as they are concerned, you don't even have a UK licence unless you tell them you do.

You are risking something greater by driving on your UK licence, ask my friend who ended up in court doing the same!!

As for the OP, E train then Airtrain
I agree but you have to provide your licence and registration to the police when they stop you - its not like the UK where they give you a 7 day producer

I have no intention of swopping it for a NY State licence - although you do get cheaper rates at all the NY state golf courses including Bethpage....
Old Mar 10, 10, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
A further suggestion - change your flight from JFK to EWR. Getting to EWR is simplicity itself from NYC Penn Station at any time of the day. All the way to EWR and then just get on the inter-terminal Airtrain monorail thing.

I never bother with JFK now if I'm going into Manhattan
I live in Manhattan and rather fly out of JFK than EWR. I find that the NYC Metro/Subway is much more reliable schedule wise than the trains going to EWR. When going to JFK, I board the F at 57th and 6th, transfer to the E in Queens (which basically means getting off one train and on another train on the same track) and then boarding the AirTrain at Sutphin Blvd. It takes about one hour and ten minutes total for me. Basically JFK and EWR are fairly easy to get to from Manhattan. the difference being that EWR has one "easy" way and JFK has three or more "easy" ways. The problem with JFK is determining which route is the "easiest" for you given your exact location. I think that for the OP the "E Train" to Suphin Blvd. and then the AirTrain to JFK is the best, but there is another route that is slightly faster. (LIRR and AirTrain) (Comes out to only one connection if someone starts with the E or LIRR.)

NYC is not as easy as some other world cities because there are options. Most major cities have one great connection between the City Center and the main airport. NYC has several good connections between the City Center and two major airports. I find LGA to be easy to get to without much luggage, but those with heavy bags would not find it so easy.
Old Mar 10, 10, 3:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonors, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CruzinAway View Post
I live in Manhattan and rather fly out of JFK than EWR. I find that the NYC Metro/Subway is much more reliable schedule wise than the trains going to EWR. When going to JFK, I board the F at 57th and 6th, transfer to the E in Queens (which basically means getting off one train and on another train on the same track) and then boarding the AirTrain at Sutphin Blvd. It takes about one hour and ten minutes total for me. Basically JFK and EWR are fairly easy to get to from Manhattan. the difference being that EWR has one "easy" way and JFK has three or more "easy" ways. The problem with JFK is determining which route is the "easiest" for you given your exact location. I think that for the OP the "E Train" to Suphin Blvd. and then the AirTrain to JFK is the best, but there is another route that is slightly faster. (LIRR and AirTrain) (Comes out to only one connection if someone starts with the E or LIRR.)

NYC is not as easy as some other world cities because there are options. Most major cities have one great connection between the City Center and the main airport. NYC has several good connections between the City Center and two major airports. I find LGA to be easy to get to without much luggage, but those with heavy bags would not find it so easy.

^

I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn so JFK works best for me - my current record is 20 mins baggage hall to front door... although that was over xmas when everywhere was deserted
Old Mar 10, 10, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA & VS
Originally Posted by Blue Box Flynn View Post
I agree but you have to provide your licence and registration to the police when they stop you - its not like the UK where they give you a 7 day producer

I have no intention of swopping it for a NY State licence - although you do get cheaper rates at all the NY state golf courses including Bethpage....
I meant you get your NY licence and you keep you UK licence as well. Its costs next to nothing and the test is stupidly easy. You don't have to hand in your UK licence at all as as far as the DMV are concerned, you don't have a UK licence unless you tell them you do.

By driving on a UK licence having lived in the US for more than 6 months you are going to get caught out big if something serious happens as per my friend.
Old Mar 10, 10, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
The F doesn't go to Sutphin though - it branches off to a different route a couple of stations earlier.
Oops, right, a transfer to the E in Queens is required in that case, sorry.
Old Mar 10, 10, 4:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
I've done the E to Sutphin and then on to the Airtrain to T7 from the Upper West Side (103rd and Central Park West) and the only part of the trip that got me was the long walk between Sutphin and the airtrain. I've done cars in the past from Manhattan to JFK and I've had anywhere from 1hr30 to 3hrs. I'd take the metro any day of the week now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: