Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I checkin a TV in BA international flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I checkin a TV in BA international flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Question Can I checkin a TV in BA international flight?

Can I checkin a TV (Samsung LED) on BA international flight travelling from US to UK or US to Australia?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as it complies with the weight and size restrictions it will go as part of your allowance or as excess baggage I imagine.
Make sure you check that the TV will work at the other end. My UK bought TV doesn't work here.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
Only if he's the same gender as his passport and ticket

Seriously though - is it worth doing this? I know our relatives UK tvs don't work in Canada, other than for playing their UK Xboxes (very large games collection - only reason for exporting!).

Won't they be 'cheaper' in Australia than the USA at present??

You will probably have to pay import duty on arrival at UK Customs.

Last edited by kirky; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:23 am
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
I have a feeling that LEd TV's have to be transported vertically in order to prevent clouding of the screen.

I am currently researching a new tv and this was listed in the reviews for B&O led tv which uses samsung planels

So i would check with samsung
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by HarryBA
I have a feeling that LEd TV's have to be transported vertically in order to prevent clouding of the screen.

I am currently researching a new tv and this was listed in the reviews for B&O led tv which uses samsung planels

So i would check with samsung
LED TVs should be fine, Plasma have to be mover vertically.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:17 pm

Come into T5 when any LOS ABV or ACC flight is checking in and see the amount of TVs there are being checked in.

There must be about 3 or 4 per flight. Large LCD flat screen up to 46".
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006
Come into T5 when any LOS ABV or ACC flight is checking in and see the amount of TVs there are being checked in.

I'm always amazed those aircraft get off the ground with all the stuff they carry

We have fun at LGW with the KIN and MBJ flights
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:28 pm

Come into T5 when any LOS ABV or ACC flight is checking in and see the amount of TVs there are being checked in. There must be about 3 or 4 per flight. Large LCD flat screen up to 46".
The "competition" to Accra embargoes TVs during the summer and at Xmas due to the fact that everyone tries to carry one (or more). But yes, 4-5 TVs per flight tends to be pretty common during the off-peak season.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your reply. So I am assuming if I pay extra baggage weight (I guess its around $45), I should be fine?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Nothing to do with baggage issue, but isn't there an issue with television from the US being on NTSC and Australia being on PAL?

In terms of checking it in, it should be fine (although you may need to pay excess baggage / oversized baggage fees etc depending on its weight and size), but I do suggest packing it really well. I don't have any major concerns about the baggage handling in the UK, but they tend to treat baggage very, very roughly in Australia. I had some major breakages out there, of things that I couldn't believe they could break.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I thought LCD/Plasma had done away with the PAL/NTSC format problems as the mid to high level ones were mostly multiformat now. The broadcast method is different in different places, so that would be another problem. e.g. Most if not all of Europe use DVB, the US uses ATSC, Japan ISDB etc.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My UK bought TV doesn't work here.
HIDDY - don't tell me you didn't realise that before leaving the Gorbals for the Pampas.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver

I was amazed to see such a large TV in the arrivals in ACC earlier this year! It was huge!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
NTSC / PAL shouldnt be an issue - the TV will accept both - I have a UE46B8000. If you get on ok I might take it with me whenever I travel

The built in freeview almost certainly wont work but everything else should be fine, there's no SCART in the US as it's an EU standard. This shouldnt be an issue as you have 4 HDMI and a composite to play with. HD 1080 or 720 will be the same in the US although it's adifferent DVD/BD region of course!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I would really not recommend trying to transporrt something so fragile as checked luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.