Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge in GVA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
BA lounge in GVA

Hi all,

Just booked a reward trip to Switzerland in May.

Managed to get a very good deal in CE using my miles.

I was wondering where I could find information and maybe pictures of the BA lounge in Geneva.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !

Julmops
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
As a result of the new security lanes at GVA the lounge is now airside which is much better - it used to be landside and they would turf you out of the lounge at about 45 minutes before the flight so you could go through security. Sometimes you sailed through, sometimes you almost missed your flight. Thankfully this is all a thing of the past.

Lounge is quite spacious but a long rectangular layout. Fully 'terraced' up with all the patio furniture etc. Bar with a few nibbles - crisps, olives etc. Sometimes they put nice sandwiches out but these go quickly. Fairly average spirit selection. Free wi-fi and a couple of ancient PCs. No real view.

Pleasant enough for an hour or so but not much more!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
Food

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but at that time it appeared the lounge had a finite fresh food allocation - so if the passengers on the flight before you were particularly hungry and ate all the sandwiches - tough!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:31 am

It's a bit of a walk there, but the main guy who always seems to be there is very helpful — especially when there's delays (most of the time providing information before it hits the screens).

There's a little quiet bit at the back of the lounge. And there's a nice selection of sweet and savory canapes that are always topped up — but do go pretty quickly. It's pretty much the usual terraces with a self-help bar and free wifi.

The only annoying thing is the door-bell going off every time someone comes in — also the toilets are outside meaning more ding-dongs than necessary.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: BAGold PCGold HH LH EK blahblah...
Am sitting in the GVA Terraces lounge just now (what timing!). As BahrainLad said, it's nice that you now pass security before the lounges (it's 2 years since I was here last). It is a comfortable lounge with the basic offerings of all Terraces lounges. But no canapes/sandwiches this afternoon. Sorry I don't have my camera with me to snap a few pics.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: GGL
If you have priority pass then dont forget you can use the swiss lounge opposite which is more modern, more spacious and nice in my opinion.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:35 am

Was there in January. Security queues were long but moved with swiss efficiency due to having loads of time to prepare before being scanned. Trays relied on gravity rather than over-engineered crap at T5.

Terraces Lounge is a pleasant enough way to while away an hour. Any more and you'll be bored.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was there on a Sunday a couple of a weeks ago, and it was very busy. Don't rely on it for food - there was very little. Sandwiches/canapés were rarely replaced (it was about four portions every half an hour for a lounge with about 50-60 people in it.)
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your answers ! Much appreciated ! I will fly back to the UK on a Saturday (8th May) on the 6.45pm flight so hopefully not too busy ...
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:20 am

In my experience, canape/dessert selection is small and, while decent, very unreliable in when and how they appear - don't go in there hungry! Also, don't go in with too many expectations - it's a quiet place to sit and have a hot or cold drink, a shuffle through some UK papers (not to be taken out of the lounge) but otherwise, not much.

By the way, one new trick: you can take the escalator up to the lounge, but there are only stairs going down. There is an elevator, though, tucked away round the corner (go past the stairs, through the smoking area and turn right). Handy if you have heavy carry on.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Was out in GVA a couple of weeks back. In addition to what the others have said make sure you use the First/Business security line. As you go up the stairs to where security is it on the far left.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seated in First
Was out in GVA a couple of weeks back. In addition to what the others have said make sure you use the First/Business security line. As you go up the stairs to where security is it on the far left.

Very good point !! I should have asked about separate security line, definitely an added bonus !! Thanks a lot !
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
As this is my home turf, I was going to answer, but most has been already said. There isn't a lot in the way of food, but the staff are always very pleasant. By the way Open-doors doesn't work in GVA even though it's a BA lounge. I wouldn't want to spend more than hour there.
BA flights usually leave from the 30s gates in the satellite and you'll have to get there and go through immigration, though that's very rarely more than a couple of minutes wait. These are the same gates used by EZY flights to the UK and other short-haul flights to non-Schengen destinations so on weekends the satellites can get quite crowded. You don't want to be there longer than necessary.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
There are a few pictures in Fraser's recent trip report here; http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/162425
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Second the comment that you wouldn't want to spend more than an hour here. The nearby LX F and SEN lounges are much quieter and decorated in a more contemporary style - but sadly no access unless you're LH / LX HON.

It's quite a hike from the lounge to the gates, so do respect the boarding call.

BA seems to rigorously and effectively enforce priority boarding at GVA too. Which was a pleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.