Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: Club World

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct, bit if you can get 20 EF you don't have to step over anyone.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Do not know about BA A380 as have not flown yet on it, with regards to the BA flight back to LHR, then would definitely bag 63AB before anyone else jumps in, just pay for it, not quite the best seats in the house, but so much nicer than being on LD, only 20 pax upstairs. Let me know how you get on^
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Row 59 would be my pick on the A380. While there is a risk of noise there is guaranteed extra leg room and direct aisle access. That is worth a lot.

LHR-JNB most of the UD is available but blocked for those with status, your MIA flight has about half the seats available for car holders but only 63AB left for those paying.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:54 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Questions on OW Ruby Status for Seat Selection

I had some questions on seating which I had posted in another thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-4-class.html

My wife and I booked award seats through AA for an LHR-LAX flight about a month out. I found out in that thread that my AA Lifetime Gold status (OW Ruby) allows me to reserve my seat 7 days before departure. I have two questions:

1. Does the BA website (I'm BA Blue) somehow know my Ruby status (where would I see that?), and if not, what must I do for the site to allow me to book 7 days out?

2. My wife (also BA Blue) has no AA status (unfortunately she's just short of AA LT Gold) and our tickets were each pulled out of our own Advantage accounts, so we are not on the same PNR. As my traveling companion, but not on the same PNR, will she be able to take advantage of my status for booking, or will she be restricted to T-24? If she can take advantage of it as my traveling companion, what must we do to instruct the website?

The answer to the second question may go a long ways in determining if we want to spend the money on pre-booking the seats.

If she can't take advantage of my Ruby status, I guess I could snag a window seat for a week out, and then have her get an aisle (much more likely to be available at T-24) and then we could trade seats between ourselves on the plane since I'd rather have an aisle anyhow. Maybe a slightly clever workaround?

Last edited by BLG; Aug 30, 2014 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by elizadoo
Flt #0055 LHR>JNB 8 October anything the extra cost? What surprises me most is the UD is already booked up, so far in advance. Are these seats blocked or upgraded by status flyers or those paying cash?
Something's not right here. This is the seat map that shows to a non-cardholder on this flight (blue = occupied), and it matches what I can choose when making a dummy booking as a non-cardholder. So I don't think that these are blocked for status holders.

Flt #0209 LHR>MIA 5 Nov on a 744 now, this matters a bit more than the A380 as the 744s won't be flying too much longer, and that UD experience is unique. There appear to be only 2 seats--63A and B--left on the UD, what has happened to all the others? Should I purchase those two seats, or is BA holding back inventory?
Only 63AB, 63JK and 64AB can be allocated to those who need to pay for them. If you really want to be on the UD, then grab 63AB while you can.

In this case, you can see the difference from what someone with status can select:-

Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLG
1. Does the BA website (I'm BA Blue) somehow know my Ruby status (where would I see that?), and if not, what must I do for the site to allow me to book 7 days out?

2. My wife (also BA Blue) has no AA status (unfortunately she's just short of AA LT Gold) and our tickets were each pulled out of our own Advantage accounts, so we are not on the same PNR. As my traveling companion, but not on the same PNR, will she be able to take advantage of my status for booking, or will she be restricted to T-24? If she can take advantage of it as my traveling companion, what must we do to instruct the website?
Is your AA number in the booking? If so, then the BA system should automatically recognise that you're a Ruby, although AFAIK there's nowhere in MMB where that is stated. (I'm assuming that you haven't put your BA number in, as there's no point in doing so.)

If your AA number is not in the booking, then you need to have any other FF number taken out and the AA number put in.

If your wife is on a separate booking, she will not be able to take advantage of your status for seat selection purposes. She will either have to pay or be restricted to what there is when OLCI opens.
Originally Posted by BLG
If she can't take advantage of my Ruby status, I guess I could snag a window seat for a week out, and then have her get an aisle (much more likely to be available at T-24) and then we could trade seats between ourselves on the plane since I'd rather have an aisle anyhow. Maybe a slightly clever workaround?
I wouldn't bank on aisle seats being more likely than window seats to be available when OLCI opens. You could find that the only available seats at that time are single middle seats.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at SeatGuru and BA chart, appears center seats on LD of 744, that is, seats EF rear facing, means 2 people can be together ...
It's a matter of opinion, but in AB and JK pairs you're no less together than if you're in an EF pair. And talking to the other person is much more natural in an AB or JK pair because you're facing each other.

It's like being in a restaurant at a table for two. You'd much more naturally sit opposite each other than side-by-side facing in the same direction.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:18 am
BLG

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is your AA number in the booking? If so, then the BA system should automatically recognise that you're a Ruby, although AFAIK there's nowhere in MMB where that is stated. (I'm assuming that you haven't put your BA number in, as there's no point in doing so.)

If your AA number is not in the booking, then you need to have any other FF number taken out and the AA number put in.

If your wife is on a separate booking, she will not be able to take advantage of your status for seat selection purposes. She will either have to pay or be restricted to what there is when OLCI opens.I wouldn't bank on aisle seats being more likely than window seats to be available when OLCI opens. You could find that the only available seats at that time are single middle seats.
Yes, my AA number is on my booking, and my wife's AA number is on her separate booking because the miles for her booking came out of her account. A shame we couldn't have done them on the same booking, but we were lucky to find two Mile Savers -- BA had no award inventory (we also have a lot of Avios) and AA Mile Savers were few and far between. A shame we couldn't have put them on the same PNR to take advantage of my status.

The thought of getting stuck in a middle seat is not a pleasant one. I'm beginning to think that we should buy our seats now, grabbing a window/aisle combo while they're available and hope that we don't have to cancel the booking for some reason and lose the money. I wouldn't mind the BA "pay for a reservation" policy if the money was refundable on cancellation. In every other way BA's cancellation policies are better than most.

Thanks very much.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BA5E
...definitely bag 63AB before anyone else jumps in, just pay for it, not quite the best seats in the house, but so much nicer than being on LD, only 20 pax upstairs. Let me know how you get on^
Booked it--at $US 250 for the both of us (sigh). Probably will be the first and last time to fly UD on the 744, so figured, why not.

About the 380--still wondering, do center EF seats on LD require stepping over anyone, other than traveling companion, if you are seated two abreast?
I know on UD the center seats are like tombs. I think in this case the best idea is to go with AB or JK, regardless of deck, and maybe the LD is better, fewer pax using the loo.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Only 63AB, 63JK and 64AB can be allocated to those who need to pay for them. If you really want to be on the UD, then grab 63AB while you can.

In this case, you can see the difference from what someone with status can select:-

The ones with the gold arrows show as Available for purchase to me (non-status). And to a status holder? And what are the green dots? Interesting, what status can get you.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
The Denver route (as discussed many a time on here, mostly because of me ) Varies now from 3 to 4 class. This summer I had 3 outbound and 4 inbound!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Note that row 13 is the only row to be guaranteed to have a full complement of windows on 777. Other rows may suffer misaligned or missing windows.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
The ones with the gold arrows show as Available for purchase to me (non-status). And to a status holder? And what are the green dots? Interesting, what status can get you.
Those seat maps are from expertflyer.com. The green and yellow dots are the ratings for various seats. Green are considered good seats, yellow have some issues, and red are bad seats. I believe the ratings are picked up from seatguru. It is totally subjective - one person's heaven on a plane is the worst seat in the cabin for somebody else.

The 744 UD is very nice, and I'm sure T8191 will explain his iWife's route for getting out of the row 63 window seats with getting over any legs.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:25 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Note that row 13 is the only row to be guaranteed to have a full complement of windows on 777. Other rows may suffer misaligned or missing windows.
Thanks very much -- I'm now leaning towards reserving because I've realized that we have separate PNRs and my wife will not be able to take advantage of my status. I'm pretty sure 13 is available on both sides of the plane, but I'll look again. For me the thought of potentially getting stuck in middle seats half defeats the whole purpose of flying CW. It just annoys me that you don't get a refund if you have to cancel.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
The only window or E&F seats on a 4 class 777 that have aisle access without climbing over legs are 15A&K, and 15E&F. 15A&K and 15E are bassinet positions which are released if not needed for an infant at 3 days before the flight, or when online check in opens.

Although they show as available online at T-72, they become unavailable if you try to put yourself in them. You have to call and ask for them - some agents will do it, some won't. If they are not occupied at T-24, they can be selected at online check in.

Personally, I love 15E&F when travelling with my husband.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.