Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: Club World

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Hello,

Looking for some advice please. Flying LHR to HKG (BA27) and returning BKK to LHR (BA10). I’m a blue so no pre-booking seats until T-24. In the midst of buying a house so feeling rather poor and would rather not dish out any more than we already have if I could avoid it and not lessen the flight experience!

We’re flying as a couple.

As the HKG flight is quite a popular business and leisure route, the seats have been snapped up pretty fast. The only two aisle seats left are 16 AB which are beside the bassinet middle seats which I’m not keen on in case it is noisy. We will probably try out EF. Any views on (a) whether two would still be available together at T-24, and (b) any preferred rows for EF?

On the BKK flight, as more of a leisure route there are still quite a lot of seats available. As we’ll be flying EF we’d maybe quite like to try sitting at the sides. 3AB, 4JK, 5JK and 10AB and JK are still available. Any views on (a) the likelihood of these still being available at T-24, and (b) which are better?

Cheers
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:45 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Questions on CW seating on 777 4 Class

I’ve read through quite a few threads on CW seating, and I still have a few questions regarding seating on the 777 4-Class configuration. I used to travel between LAX and LHR on a semi-regular basis in the previous version of CW, and dearly loved the UD, but this will be my first flight in the newer CW (how many years has it been since the upgrade?), and unfortunately LHR-DEN is not a 747.

This will be a daytime flight, so sleeping considerations are not a big deal. I’m flying with Mrs. BLG, but we don’t necessarily have to sit next to each other (those interior E/F) seats look kind of claustrophobic. Mrs. BLG prefers a window, but she’s flexible.

Since Mrs. BLG and I are both lowly Blues, and I only have Lifetime Gold status on AA, I’m trying to decide whether we should spend a couple hundred bucks to reserve seats, or just take our chances at T-24. My biggest issue is aisle access – I hate having to climb over someone if I need to go to the toilet or just want to stretch my legs – do the window seats have easy aisle access? The same question would apply to the E and F seats as well? Or do you have to clamber over people?

If windows and E/F do not have easy aisle access, should I worry about getting two aisle seats (or one window and one aisle) at T-24? What would be the best guess?

Right now it’s a month out so most of the cabin is available.

If aisle access is an issue, and I should be worried about getting an aisle seat at T-24, then if we reserve my sense is that we would be best off with an A/B or J/K combo. I would guess that by T-24 the chances of getting an A/B combo or a J/K combo won’t be good so if we decide to pay to reserve, are there any advantages to 10JK vs. 12AB or 12JK or 13 or 14 AB+JK?

(Our LAX-LHR the night flight is in AA’s new J-Class where we’ve taken two window seats, one behind the other. Love that new configuration. Hope BA goes that route some day.)

My understanding is that fees paid for seat reservations are refundable if the flight is changed or cancelled -- is that correct?

I’ve always been a fan of the BA board. You guys are always informative and entertaining ☺

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
You may want to go for a window and adjacent aisle seat at the rear end of the cabin, as the window seats there have aisle access without having to step over another seat. The EF seats are quite nice as a couple although I personally dislike not seeing out of the window, and some people do find them claustrophobic. Also, they do not have direct aisle access except for (again) the last row in the cabin.

I believe as a OW Ruby you'll be able to select seats seven days out like BA Bronze, not just 24 hours, although if you see seats you want the only way to guarantee them is to pay up. I can never remember the exact refund rules but they're displayed very clearly before you are made to pay up.

Can't deliver on the entertaining part I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to take care of that
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BLG
I’ve read through quite a few threads on CW seating, and I still have a few questions regarding seating on the 777 4-Class configuration.
Here's a good thread in which to ask them: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html
Originally Posted by BLG
My biggest issue is aisle access – I hate having to climb over someone if I need to go to the toilet or just want to stretch my legs – do the window seats have easy aisle access? The same question would apply to the E and F seats as well? Or do you have to clamber over people?
It's the same on the current CW as on the previous generation of yin-yang CW.
Originally Posted by BLG
My understanding is that fees paid for seat reservations are refundable if the flight is changed or cancelled -- is that correct?
Not if you change or cancel the flight.
Originally Posted by csutter
You may want to go for a window and adjacent aisle seat at the rear end of the cabin, as the window seats there have aisle access without having to step over another seat. The EF seats are quite nice as a couple although I personally dislike not seeing out of the window, and some people do find them claustrophobic. Also, they do not have direct aisle access except for (again) the last row in the cabin.
ISTR, though, that these "last row" seats are often released only at the T-3d (edited seat map) point.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:03 pm
BLG

I believe as a OW Ruby you'll be able to select seats seven days out like BA Bronze, not just 24 hours, although if you see seats you want the only way to guarantee them is to pay up. I can never remember the exact refund rules but they're displayed very clearly before you are made to pay up.

Can't deliver on the entertaining part I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to take care of that
Thank you for reminding me that my OW Ruby status will allow me to reserve for free 7 days out! It's been a while since flying BA and I have forgotten all your rules!

I presume your reference to aisle access from the rear of the cabin for window seats refers to 15A or K and those are taken, so that's not an option.

Now, knowing that I can reserve 7 days out (and I can monitor the seating map) would you see much of a problem with getting a couple of aisle seats, or a window and an aisle? If we do decide to spend the money to reserve, is there anything in it between the other rows?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
My wife and I really enjoy the last row EF pair... you get a lot of shared space, and direct aisle access. I've also really liked EF when I've managed to get a pair of seats without someone next to me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:08 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Isn't the Denver route a three class 777? It was last year when I did that route. I had 5A rear facing window no step over. Or you could try 11 A/B
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:09 pm

I believe 15A and K may be unavailable as they are bassinet seats so not released for selection yet, but I could well be wrong.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
ISTR, though, that these "last row" seats are often released only at the T-3d (edited seat map) point.
Originally Posted by loftus1961
I believe 15A and K may be unavailable as they are bassinet seats so not released for selection yet, but I could well be wrong.
I think 15E is a cot position, but AB/JK should be fine. I tend to avoid the 777 though so will happily be proven wrong
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
Now, knowing that I can reserve 7 days out (and I can monitor the seating map) would you see much of a problem with getting a couple of aisle seats, or a window and an aisle? If we do decide to spend the money to reserve, is there anything in it between the other rows?
Apart from 15A/K I think there aren't really any outstanding seats in the cabin, they're pretty much all the same. I probably wouldn't spend the money and keep checking the map, and if lots of seats disappear before then you can always reserve them later.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:16 pm
BLG

I just re-read the BA rules on payments for seat reservations. You do lose your money if you cancel, but if you change flights, you can apply the payment for another seat reservation. So I guess you sort of take your chances if you pay up and then have to cancel or change.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:18 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Isn't the Denver route a three class 777? It was last year when I did that route. I had 5A rear facing window no step over. Or you could try 11 A/B
According to the Seat Map in Manage My Booking it is the configuration with rows 10-15 (4 class). Maybe they changed it or maybe it varies. I'm simply going by the seat my they're showing me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:25 pm
BLG

Apart from 15A/K I think there aren't really any outstanding seats in the cabin, they're pretty much all the same. I probably wouldn't spend the money and keep checking the map, and if lots of seats disappear before then you can always reserve them later.
I'm sorry it isn't a 747 (if I could have I would have routed through LAX).

What's important to me in terms of information is that (unfortunately) this version of CW is the same as the previous version in that inner seats require climbing over the neighbors. Knowing that, it sounds like I should just keep checking the seat map, as you suggest, and with a little luck at T-7 I should be able to do OK. It's a shame that the money is not refundable on a cancellation. That's not a very kind rule!

If we don't sit together, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the probability of one window and one aisle being available at T-7? Is it more likely that all the windows or all the aisles will be gone by then, or about equal probabilities?

Really appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited by BLG; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:05 pm

Need help on CW seating both 380 and 744

Please help this overwhelmed newbie. I've flown the AF380 J class (felt like I was in a sarcophagus) but the seating was much different than BA.

Sorry--read through pages and pages of Wikis on the seats and the more I read, the more confused I become. All I have is a headache and the knowledge to avoid rows 15 and 59 on the 380.

It's hubby and myself. He sleeps very well and will never notice me climbing over his legs. We are trying to avoid paying extra and will just be ready to push the button at the T-24hour. Since I will not have access to a computer during the T24 time I will have someone on the ground ready to select our seats--I just need to tell her what to pick for us! Although, if it's worth it, we will pay for the UD on the 744.

Flt #0055 LHR>JNB 8 October anything the extra cost? What surprises me most is the UD is already booked up, so far in advance. Are these seats blocked or upgraded by status flyers or those paying cash?

Flt #0209 LHR>MIA 5 Nov on a 744 now, this matters a bit more than the A380 as the 744s won't be flying too much longer, and that UD experience is unique. There appear to be only 2 seats--63A and B--left on the UD, what has happened to all the others? Should I purchase those two seats, or is BA holding back inventory?

We will be flying F on a 777 from the USA to LHR, and F coming back from JNB in the 380, so no worries there.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:13 pm

Quick question re: CW center seats on 744

Looking at SeatGuru and BA chart, appears center seats on LD of 744, that is, seats EF rear facing, means 2 people can be together AND it also appears that climbing over the other pax legs i.e. those in seats D and G is not a problem. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.