Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I would take 5F and 5K.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
OK, looking at seats on ba.com I was confused, but checking here I'm somewhat less confused. I think.

PHL-LHR in F. BA is saying a 777. The seats on the booking engine don't match any of the seat maps on ba.com or seatguru, but they do match the 17F 777.236 posted on here so I figure that's what it currently planned.

Assuming it stays the same plane, 2K or 3K look likely the quietest options, yes? Anything I should know about F on that config?

And just as a secondary question - LHR-PRG on a 320 in J. They're pretty much just taking the piss when they call it J, right? I shouldn't have any real expectations of anything other than budget carrier on that leg? 2A as good as anything else? It doesn't look like I have many choices anyway, but what a waste of AA F points.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes, I would take 2K or 3K.

Your flight to PRG in Club Europe will not exactly be budget-like. There's a 34" pitch, the middle seat is not sold, and on many aircraft the seats are wider than in Euro Traveller.

Depending on the time of day, you'll be served breakfast (choice of hot or continental), brunch, lunch (choice of hot dish or salad with dessert), afternoon tea, or dinner (choice of hot dish or salad with cheese). A full bar service including champagne is available throughout the flight regardless of the time of day.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
OK, looking at seats on ba.com I was confused, but checking here I'm somewhat less confused. I think.

PHL-LHR in F. BA is saying a 777. The seats on the booking engine don't match any of the seat maps on ba.com or seatguru, but they do match the 17F 777.236 posted on here so I figure that's what it currently planned.

Assuming it stays the same plane, 2K or 3K look likely the quietest options, yes? Anything I should know about F on that config?

And just as a secondary question - LHR-PRG on a 320 in J. They're pretty much just taking the piss when they call it J, right? I shouldn't have any real expectations of anything other than budget carrier on that leg? 2A as good as anything else? It doesn't look like I have many choices anyway, but what a waste of AA F points.
2K and 3K are my favourite seats on a 777, either on my own or as a couple. If you get lucky, the adjacent F seats might be empty and you can dine there then retire to the window seats.

J in an A320 is far better than a budget carrier, not that I've ever flown one in Europe, although I suffered JetStar once not realising that they used to use QF flight numbers as well as Qantas, I didn't make that mistake again. On BA J short haul the middle B and E seats are blocked off so you never have to sit next to anyone. If you're on your own, the right side is slightly better, because in the standard BA J setup the right side is expanded and the left side pushed in to give a couple of inches extra seat width in J, squeezing the unused B seat and widening the unused E seat with it. Hence, the gap in B is much smaller than that in E. As a couple I'd choose the left side, as the A/C seats are therefore closer than D/F slightly aiding conversation.

You will also be offered a full food and beverage service in J, although it's not exactly haute cuisine. It's reasonable enough though. Champagne is offered gratis for example. I wouldn't call that budget.

Personally, I take 1D as my seat of choice but some might say I'm a bit weird. You can stretch your legs into the aisle into the area towards the galley. The downside is that you do get knocked by passing traffic. I prefer the aisle seats as the window seats feel more cramped, but for more privacy and an attempt at sleeping I'd probably choose 2F followed by 2A. 1A/1F are to be avoided due to the bulkhead and the cramped window position IMHO. Also note that row 1 is sometimes a minor chore getting your carry on stored, especially if some idiot from down the back of the plane has boarded before you and pinched the overhead locker space.

Last edited by Howard Long; Nov 10, 2013 at 3:06 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
BA7 to Tokyo in First... can't wait!

Considering that we'd like to see next to each other (I think!), what's best? Row 2 or 4? Do 3E, 3F, 3K, 4K not even exist? This seating map is different from anything I've found on SeatGuru.

I imagine row 2 would be a bit quieter than 4?

Lastly, I'm struggling to find good pictures of the new 777 first cabin? Could anyone point me at some good pictures or videos?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:17 am

I've read this entire thread, and I have a couple of specific questions about the 772 that I don't think have been answered.

1. Looking at pictures of the cabin, it looks like the window seats have a sort of wall by your side, while the middle seats are missing that and look more "open", along with having more shelf/ledge space. Does one or the other truly feel more open?

2. How well can you actually see out the windows when you're seated?

3. BA has said our flight next July will be a 772, but the LHR-IAH route seems to have switched to being operated by a 744 over the past week or so. In the case of an aircraft change, if a friend and I are booked into 2EF, do we have a greater chance of losing our seats than if we were in 2K/3K? Or am I reading too much into the fact they've been using a different aircraft lately?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Genius1
Yes, I would take 2K or 3K.

Your flight to PRG in Club Europe will not exactly be budget-like. There's a 34" pitch, the middle seat is not sold, and on many aircraft the seats are wider than in Euro Traveller.

Depending on the time of day, you'll be served breakfast (choice of hot or continental), brunch, lunch (choice of hot dish or salad with dessert), afternoon tea, or dinner (choice of hot dish or salad with cheese). A full bar service including champagne is available throughout the flight regardless of the time of day.
Oh good -much better than I was expecting/fearing then. I've clearly been conditioned by US carriers to expect the worst. Glad I asked, and thank you to both of you that replied.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by AggieTraveler
3. BA has said our flight next July will be a 772, but the LHR-IAH route seems to have switched to being operated by a 744 over the past week or so. In the case of an aircraft change, if a friend and I are booked into 2EF, do we have a greater chance of losing our seats than if we were in 2K/3K? Or am I reading too much into the fact they've been using a different aircraft lately?
Short notice substitutions aside, aircraft types do switch route seasonally as the demand fluctuates across the various routes.

For instance, some of the Indian routes which were on the 777 for the UK Summer have switched to the 744 for the Winter timetable, and the IAH rotation you mention has also switched to the 744.

BA will move capacity around the network to match the forecast demand for each market.

If the summer 2014 TT is saying 777-200, it's very likely that's what you'll get.

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Oh good -much better than I was expecting/fearing then. I've clearly been conditioned by US carriers to expect the worst. Glad I asked, and thank you to both of you that replied.
This should give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...pe-w-pics.html

I also have many other CE trip reports in the link below.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mjh0
Short notice substitutions aside, aircraft types do switch route seasonally as the demand fluctuates across the various routes.

For instance, some of the Indian routes which were on the 777 for the UK Summer have switched to the 744 for the Winter timetable, and the IAH rotation you mention has also switched to the 744.

BA will move capacity around the network to match the forecast demand for each market.

If the summer 2014 TT is saying 777-200, it's very likely that's what you'll get.

Mike
I wondered if it might be a seasonal thing, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the reassurance.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Genius1
This should give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...pe-w-pics.html
Excellent, thank you.

Also reminds me that I should be writing up my Easter Island TR.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
First cabin on 777 - advice please

I am flying with my partner to Grenada in F and have been placed in 4E/F. Seats 1E/F are available but not sure whether to change to these. Advice on the pros/cons of 1E/F compared to 4E/F most welcome.
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would take 4E/F because:

i) further from F operating galley - crew entering the cabin from behind likely to be less frequent than from the front
ii) back to the wall, which is my personal preference.

Neither are ideal. I would take 2E/F, 2A/E or 2F/K if you can.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I did have 2E/F originally, but then flight was cancelled and have been moved to 4E/F on new booking.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Not much other than being in row 1 and generally being served first. My personal preference as a couple on a 777 is 2K/3K or 2A/3A. But if you're recently loved up or have never travelled as a couple in F before I can see the attraction of the middle seats, I've been there. Remember that there are ottoman seats opposite available at all seats so you can dine together across the table, which practically speaking is far better than being adjacent to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.