Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
I sure hope they continue to use the 747 out of PHX.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:25 pm
McG

I'm just back from Vegas. Flight both ways was rammed, with only a few empty seats - I could definitely see a chance for this to be upgraded to a larger aircraft.

I was in WT+ both ways. I found the Immigration process at Vegas to be quick and painless, and I was out the airport, collected my hire car and checked into the Tropicana all within 1hr of arrival.

The current International terminal at Vegas is small - it reminds me a bit of Sanford in Florida. For the departing flight there was the following facilities:

Burger King
Pizza Hut
Bar
Newsagents
Duty Free
Lounge - there is only 1 lounge here and it is used by all international airlines.

So not a great selection if you are there well in advance. There is a car park directly opposite this terminal. It cost me $2 to park for around 20mins while I went to drop off my luggage - I did this when the airport check in / bag drop opened 4hrs before departure. This then left me with a couple of hours to take the hire car back and also to go and get something to eat. It certainly saved trying to cart the luggage on the bus from the rental car centre. I arrived back at the airport around 1hr 45mins before departure. Security took less than 5 mins to clear.

I did hear during my time in Vegas that the new terminal 3 that is being built there will have 6 international gates, and that the international flights will be moving there. If this is the case, then the range of facilities should improve - however the security queues might end up like those in terminal 1 where you can wait up to an hour in line. At 18:30 for a Southwest flight it took over 30mins to clear security.

Hope this is of interest to some considering using the Vegas flight.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 am
BMK

Programs: British Airways Blue, Virgin Flying Club Silver, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
Yeah the airside facilities at LAS are pretty poor to say the least. I've been delayed there a couple of hours and it was painful!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Continental OnePass
I was out the airport, collected my hire car and checked into the Tropicana all within 1hr of arrival.
Thanks for the info, going on Saturday, very useful. If I get out of McCarran in 1 hour I'll be very happy, doubtful though as I'm about 20 rows further back than you were

Last edited by lozza1974; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:16 am
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by McG
Lounge - there is only 1 lounge here and it is used by all international airlines.
Thanks for the info McG, I'm going next week.

Do you know, is the lounge open to BAEC Gold's?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold, VS Silver, EK Silver, BA Blue
Originally Posted by drewaz
I sure hope they continue to use the 747 out of PHX.
Paging JumboDriver

Is there a technical issue using 777's at PHX? i.e. it gets very hot there and it is 2000ft up. Similar scenario to JNB???
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA & VS
Originally Posted by Long JB
Paging JumboDriver

Is there a technical issue using 777's at PHX? i.e. it gets very hot there and it is 2000ft up. Similar scenario to JNB???
BA started PHX with the DC10, then 747, 777 and finally back to 747. Concorde has also been to PHX as well
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by Gil Grissom
Do you know, is the lounge open to BAEC Gold's?
Upthread (post #72) I wrote:

Originally Posted by larryflyer
I'm in the 'VIP lounge' at LAS right now...

Slightly worryingly for BA status pax travelling WT or WT+, admittance seems to be based solely on class of travel (stated as 'First' but in practice including BA's CW). There was initially a prominent sign at the lounge desk when we entered stating that 'airline cards' would not be accepted. Curiously, I checked just now while writing this, and the sign is no longer visible - maybe they make an exception for BA pax (and remove the sign during relevant timeframe)?
Not really a definitive answer I'm afraid; has anyone flying BA WT or WT+ tried (or failed) to gain admittance?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by Long JB
Paging JumboDriver

PHX is 1117ft vs 5751 for JNB- a pretty significant difference.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Beany
BA started PHX with the DC10, then 747, 777 and finally back to 747. Concorde has also been to PHX as well
I really enjoy the prospect of an UD seat for that wonderful evening flight to LHR!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Does anyone have an update? Hoping to get F for award flight to LAS next august
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
It's gonna be difficult to predict next summers timetable, say when you book it is a 747, by the time of the flight it'll be changed....

we booked SYD flights 7 months in advance last year, 777 originally scheduled .. within 3 months all change, cancellations ended up on a 747
Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I would have thought a move to LGW was more likely. I thought the LHR departure was possible because of poor business demand and a temp shift to leisure markets at LHR to keep slots and planes occupied.

We know that the JFK departures are being restored. If by next Summer we get the NRT and HKG schedules restored, I can see the LAS moving to LGW. That likely means a 777 and a 3 class one at that. It's primarily a leisure route and can see keeping Y capacity winning over introducing F.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:49 am

Whilst LAS may be a leisure route, I recall reading somewhere that it is one of BA's most profitable routes - with a huge amount of transit business on it. So to move to LGW would hinder more than benefit the route..
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Beany
In the early 1990s BA specifically requested Boeing increase the planned MTOW for the 777-200IGW/ER in order to cater for departures from PHX and DEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.