Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS aircraft [possible change to 747]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by BOH
There are lots of big conferences and major trade shows in Vegas. And quite a few defence contractors with joint ventures / partnerships with European companies.
Also corporate entertainment trips. I know this equity salesman at a US investment bank in London who took some of his fund manager clients to Vegas just for the weekend (flying out of LHR Friday afternoon and back from LAS Sunday night - pretty brutal )
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:47 am
Original Poster

How anyone could even consider the thought of comparing Blackpool to Vegas is totally beyond me!!!!!!

Vegas has some of the best hotels, restaurants and most definately shopping in the world. It is clean in the hotels.....no chewing gum or cigarette butts on the floor....all slot machines always working....everyone is having a great time with a smile on their faces, the opposite of London or Blackpool!

I could go on and on, but basically Blackpool is pointless and Vegas is fantastic!^
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Abstract1
How anyone could even consider the thought of comparing Blackpool to Vegas is totally beyond me!!!!!!

Vegas has some of the best hotels, restaurants and most definately shopping in the world. It is clean in the hotels.....no chewing gum or cigarette butts on the floor....all slot machines always working....everyone is having a great time with a smile on their faces, the opposite of London or Blackpool!

I could go on and on, but basically Blackpool is pointless and Vegas is fantastic!^
^I agree, there are some great restaurants in vegas^
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
Quite, some of the ironic "Blackpool is better than Vegas" comments can only be seen as some bizarre form of inverted snobbery.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:35 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatbedfan
Quite, some of the ironic "Blackpool is better than Vegas" comments can only be seen as some bizarre form of inverted snobbery.
Well apart from a decent pint, another good thing about Blackpool compared to Vegas is that Blackpool is alot closer. I would only have to travel about 4 hours to get to an awful tacky, smutty hell-hole packed with loud locals. So why travel to Vegas when the same is available on my doorstep? (relatively speaking).

In reality I wouldn't go to either place. But if I was forced to choose one it would have to be Blackpool....because at least I could have a decent pint and a curry and (thankfully) can get there and back in a day. That has to make Blackpool the winner
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Well apart from a decent pint, another good thing about Blackpool compared to Vegas is that Blackpool is alot closer. I would only have to travel about 4 hours to get to an awful tacky, smutty hell-hole packed with loud locals. So why travel to Vegas when the same is available on my doorstep? (relatively speaking).

In reality I wouldn't go to either place. But if I was forced to choose one it would have to be Blackpool....because at least I could have a decent pint and a curry and (thankfully) can get there and back in a day. That has to make Blackpool the winner
Hmm, Grand Canyon, good shows, some nice places to eat! Good weather for at least some of the year! Even some decent shopping oh and pools to swim in, please dont even suggest the sea at Blackpool!!

Sorry cant see why anyone could compare the two!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:05 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by toddml

Sorry cant see why anyone could compare the two!
They both have load locals. There's one excellent comparison
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
..... another good thing about Blackpool compared to Vegas is that Blackpool is alot closer. I would only have to travel about 4 hours .....can get there and back in a day. That has to make Blackpool the winner
Ah, but as any fule kno, a place's relative geographic location to your current location is not a quality of that place itself
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:35 pm

Of course, one of our in house pedants will now be along to point out its "fool" and "know" and that I should be purged, preferably to AAnother Board
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by genovese
In the Caribbean sometimes a 4 class 777 is used and the forward cabin used for club if needed. Would the extra capacity in W (not sure there's much difference in WT+ or Club) plus perhaps the option to use the F cabin if Club were full (possibly due to other cabins being overfull) be worthwhile ?
Anytime a carrier adds capacity to a city, it has a ripple effect throughout the rest of the industry. At best, other carriers have to kick their FC up a notch; at worst, there's more capacity. There's no downside.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I reckon there might be a few first passengers in the waiting to LAS? Ok its never gona be a JFK but then again it one flight a day. Perhaps with more 744 availability could make sense.

Slightly OT: What is ground service like now that its been up and running for a few months?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by BizBuzzBee
Slightly OT: What is ground service like now that its been up and running for a few months?
I'm in the 'VIP lounge' at LAS right now, waiting for tonight's BA274 departure. Checked in on-line, then used SSCI machines (I think there were about 4 available) to print our boarding passes. No queues at machines (but we were early, about 3 hrs before departure). Most pax seemed to be ignoring the SSCI machines and going straight to manned desks. There was a separate line for 'Club World Check-in assistance'. Also a separate line for Fast Bag Drop' that had no queue, but was slightly less than fast because the (helpful) agent there was offering to switch a party of 3 into better seats. Very kind of him, but against the spirit of OLCI, SSCI etc!

The lounge (3rd party, not BA's of course) is quite pleasant. Self service hot drinks, a bar for cold drinks (no pressure to tip), and a few nibbles. Not really any food, as such.

Slightly worryingly for BA status pax travelling WT or WT+, admittance seems to be based solely on class of travel (stated as 'First' but in practice including BA's CW). There was initially a prominent sign at the lounge desk when we entered stating that 'airline cards' would not be accepted. Curiously, I checked just now while writing this, and the sign is no longer visible - maybe they make an exception for BA pax (and remove the sign during relevant timeframe)?

Will try to update on boarding procedures later.

Last edited by larryflyer; Mar 2, 2010 at 10:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by BOH
Tier Points.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:13 am
BOH

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Tier Points.
Yes, there is that
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Has anyone heard any update to the rumour(s)...

BA to operate 744 to LAS

Also, burried in this thread, BA to start flights to HNL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.