Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Master Thread: UNITE Ballot result is YES to strike action - general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread: UNITE Ballot result is YES to strike action - general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
[QUOTE=

It's like waching a chess world championship match between Bobby Fischer and Bubbles from AbFab.:[/QUOTE]

Which is which?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:22 am

What happens to the Unite members who have the courage to vote no? Do they get sent to concentration, er I mean training camps. Or is a no vote equal to your membership being terminated for not adhering to T&C's?

I will be surprised if this materializes into a major disruption.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:24 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Did I hear right on Sky News when they said there would be a reps meeting tomorrow to decide dates, and then a further members meeting on Thursday.

Are they likely to announce dates after their reps meeting tomorrow, or wait till the members meeting?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:25 am

Frankly I wouldn't be too worried yet.
The strike result wasn't really a surprise (75 % was a given anyway).
What needs to be seen is :
1. If a strike will happen
2. If it does, how many people will really be on strike
3. What plan "b" BA has.

Apparently, the union isn't really keen to go the hard route, knowing too well that given the loss of travel allowance etc. most people won't really strike anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I would be very surprised if they announced dates any time soon. I would expect they would use this at the bargaining table first. But hey, it is BASSA and anything can basically happen...
Surely they'll announce their plans to the whooping masses on Thursday
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
On a more positive note:

Now that a lot of strikers lose their travel perks, will this mean more award availability in J and F?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Petrus
What happens to the Unite members who have the courage to vote no? Do they sent to concentration, er I mean training camps. Or is a no vote equal to your membership being terminated for not adhering to T&C's?
Since it's a secret ballot it will presumably be hard to identify the candidates for the the camps.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Go on Willy. Crush USHITE once and for all. Pound them to dust and toss them into oblivion.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well if you are union crew they want to know how long you want to strike for
with one option being 12+ days

Originally Posted by McG
Did I hear right on Sky News when they said there would be a reps meeting tomorrow to decide dates, and then a further members meeting on Thursday.

Are they likely to announce dates after their reps meeting tomorrow, or wait till the members meeting?
Unite's website mentions that the actions will be decided on Thursday.
But it could of course change.

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Not voting (basically abstaining) is the cowards way of voting no.
Not true. The ballot papers were not numbered/identifiable, and therefore cc could not be identified.

It's either a demonstration of
  1. lack of information from BASSA
  2. lack of information from BA
  3. both the above
  4. resignation that the strike will get a yes vote
  5. resignation that they wouldn't be heard, so why bother voting
  6. both the above
  7. lack of availability (unlikely)
  8. laziness (possible)
  9. all or part of the above!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Go on Willy. Crush USHITE once and for all. Pound them to dust and toss them into oblivion.
Unless he's got 8-10,000 replacements hidden in a camp somewhere, fully trained and ready to go, that could be one heck of an "enhancement" for BA branded service. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Surely they'll announce their plans to the whooping masses on Thursday
I can only hope that a 65% backing is not enough to call for strikes of the magnitude they need. They cannot go under 12 days (too easy to break and it loses face) so they need to announce something big. I am not sure they can do that with this result. Not only is the turnout much lower but the result too. Effectively a large number of cabin crew have come to their senses.

I expect Unite to have a long hard talk with BASSA to try and get them to return (or rather get) to the negotiating table.

Although I am still 100% unsure of what the actual issue is and what they demand of BA. But hey...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:30 am

Ukgooner...sorry.

Just being facetious as heck. And anybody can pick either side--guess it depends on whether you are BA or CC.

But quite honestly I see BASSA as Bubbles. (With apologies to the ever perky Bubbles.)

But then I'm still smarting from the b*ggering i got over the entire Christmas holiday due to this situation--a story which is waaaay too long to go into here.

But for 4 weeks it was a total nightmare at every juncture, due entirely to the cc unrest situation. Expensive too. I was out an extra $2000 because of it by the end of the nightmare.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
I am so very disappointed with the result.

I just can't believe how naive the CC are in voting for strike action, especially after the Christmas debacle and BA's latest financial results, which actually showed that the new arrangements had improved profitability and the chances of BAs survival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.