Wiki Posts
Search

BA diversion Feb 17

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
BA diversion Feb 17

I just googled "Warsaw airport power" and read two news articles about the tower's power outage today. Says 8 flights diverted (ours, 846, not mentioned), and that they were up and running by noon. My flight was due in at 1140, we circled quite a while, pilot came on and said fuel constraints mandated diversion to Krakow. This was well after noon. Held on plane just a few minutes, pilot says no way will there be timely resolution, so 6 hour bus ride back to WAW. What the hey? Who's lying here, and why? Did BA decide cheaper to use the plane elsewhere? I'm sure we could have flown back and arrived WAW much sooner than the bus--when we got back to the airport, flights were arriving. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:14 pm

The article I read said power was restored around 1200 GMT, which is going to be around 1300 in Poland, isn't it?

And there may have been further delays once the power came back, as things take time to get back to normal. There would probably also be knock-on slot delays which might explain the decision to bus passengers.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I highly doubt that the decision to divert was taken lightly.

After the safety consideration of the aircraft and passengers, the flight crew also have a commercial consideration to make and by diverting, this in no way saves, or lessens expenses for BA, it has quite the oposite effect and makes things a heck of a lot more expensive. Having aircraft and crew out of position creates a chain of events that can cause havoc to the operation.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Yeah, I'm sure BA not thrilled about situation, and both of you probably right, but I wonder if the uncertainty of a crew hanging around waiting to take us to WAW was economically less desirable than getting them out of KRK and back in service, poor pax be damned. And, if no slot available at WAW, they could have bussed us from somewhere out on the tarmac, like they did in KRK. Or landed at the other airport (maybe no customs there?) Huge hassle, less so for me than some others whose time was critical. Arriving 8 hours and 20 minutes late after 6 hours in toilet-less bus not fun. What made me question the whole thing were the inaccuracies in the news story--coulda been the reporter, I know.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:57 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by JamieT
The article I read said power was restored around 1200 GMT, which is going to be around 1300 in Poland, isn't it?
Indeed. And given the departure delay, BA 846 was estimated to arrive at WAW at 12:50 local time, which would have been before the power got restored.

Having said that, the OP could have insisted on being re-routed on the closest LO flight KRK-WAW (failing which, (s)he could have purchased a ticket him/herself and claimed the reimbursement later).

[KVS Availability Tool 5.2.0/Diamond - Amadeus Operational Info: BA 846/17 Feb 2010]
Code:
BRITISH AIRWAYS - BA 846

[Planned Flight Info]
LHR-WAW         08:15/Wed - 11:40/Wed  02:25

[Flight Notes]
                KRK DIV WAW KRK
                KRK AA 1303 AIRCRAFT LANDED
                KRK AA 1311 ARRIVED
                KRK EA 1310 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL
LHR-WAW         MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
LHR-WAW         DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
LHR-WAW         ARRIVES TERMINAL I
LHR-WAW         9/ NON-SMOKING
LHR-WAW         ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
LHR-WAW         BA CLUB EUROPE JCD FARES NOW FULLY FLEX

[Operational Info]
LHR      08:30  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE
LHR      08:34  LEFT THE GATE
LHR      08:52  TOOK OFF
LHR      -      DELAY OPERATIONAL REASON
WAW      12:50  ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by skipaway
Yeah, I'm sure BA not thrilled about situation, and both of you probably right, but I wonder if the uncertainty of a crew hanging around waiting to take us to WAW was economically less desirable than getting them out of KRK and back in service, poor pax be damned. And, if no slot available at WAW, they could have bussed us from somewhere out on the tarmac, like they did in KRK. Or landed at the other airport (maybe no customs there?) Huge hassle, less so for me than some others whose time was critical. Arriving 8 hours and 20 minutes late after 6 hours in toilet-less bus not fun. What made me question the whole thing were the inaccuracies in the news story--coulda been the reporter, I know.

In terms of cabin crew, by the time thez returned from Poland, they would not be doing another duty anyway, so the commercial side of in that sense bares no influence on the decision. Flight crew maybe different.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by skipaway
And, if no slot available at WAW, they could have bussed us from somewhere out on the tarmac, like they did in KRK.
Slot doesn't necessarily mean a gate/aerobridge. More likely an air traffic-related slot.

Also, I should add that I'm afraid aviation-related news reports are almost never very accurate.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Also, I should add that I'm afraid aviation-related news reports are almost never very accurate.
And I assume that's likely to be the case here as the OP has pointed out an omission from the article regarding the diverted flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.