Row 5 on a 777 [three class]

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Row 5 on a 777 [three class]

I am booked LHR-EWR 24 March and the seat map makes it look like a 3-class 777 in that has Row 1-5 and 10-12 in a 2x4x2 configuration. The strange thing is on seatguru, seatexpert and the BA seating guide here on FT as well as on BA.com I can't find a 777 that features a CW Row 5. They all seem to show Row 1-4 for CW in a 3 Class 777 configuration.

I wanted Row 5A as it appears that this would face the back bulkhead of the first cabin and therefore have access to the aisle without stepover (a.k.a. 14A/K on the 744 Hi J configuration).

My thought is this was one of the new three-class 777s and maybe the maps and guide here at FT haven't been updated.

Or is this a BA.com mistake?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It isn't a mistake - there is one 3 class 777 with row 5 in the fleet (or more than one? Sunrisegirl would know)

I have sat in 5A; I'd always choose it (or 5K, they are much of a muchness) over any other for the reason you mentioned.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilesCollector
It isn't a mistake - there is one 3 class 777 with row 5 in the fleet (or more than one? Sunrisegirl would know)

I have sat in 5A; I'd always choose it (or 5K, they are much of a muchness) over any other for the reason you mentioned.
Thanks ^
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You guessed correctly you are on one of the 3 class 777's bases at LHR. These aircraft have NGCW and row 5 has aisle access. LGW have two of these aircraft.
CIHY
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You guessed correctly you are on one of the 3 class 777's bases at LHR. These aircraft have NGCW and row 5 has aisle access. LGW have two of these aircraft.
CIHY
Thanks. Is there any reason BA.com doesn't show a seat map for this configuration that features Row 5 in CW?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Thanks. Is there any reason BA.com doesn't show a seat map for this configuration that features Row 5 in CW?
I had one of these 777's the other week from lgw-ssh.

Row 5 is indeed the row that you need to be in if you want a window seat that means you don't step over anyone getting out.
In my case it was showing as row 4 untill olci though which was annoying as when it became row 5,one ran the risk of losing that seat if you didn't olci promptly.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it’s because they are waiting for all aircraft to be converted. There are only two more aircraft to be fitted and one of them is already in the hanger. As the converted aircraft have 12 extra seats in the same amount of space it is easier to keep the seat maps at 36 seats until all aircraft are flying with 48 seats. If you have travelled on a 3 class aircraft before I think you will find the new seats and configuration is much better, well the crew prefer it.
CIHY
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
I had one of these 777's the other week from lgw-ssh.

Row 5 is indeed the row that you need to be in if you want a window seat that means you don't step over anyone getting out.
In my case it was showing as row 4 untill olci though which was annoying as when it became row 5,one ran the risk of losing that seat if you didn't olci promptly.
I don't think you would loose the seat but you wouldn't be in the back row as expected. The extra 12 seats are 4FG JK and 5AB DEFG JK.
CIHY
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Exclamation critical question

Do 5A and 5K have extra legroom for sleeping (i.e. space between the footrest and the bulkhead to stick you feet out)?

I really couldn't care less about stepping over someone, but the extra space is essential to my comfort on a night flight. The previous generation CW has plenty of extra space in 4A (around 4 inches) and slightly less but still sufficient (2-3 inches) in 3K - there being no 4K. In fact in the old config these seats were better than 62K/A on a 747 where there was a shield thingy blocking your feet beyond the footrest.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Do 5A and 5K have extra legroom for sleeping (i.e. space between the footrest and the bulkhead to stick you feet out)?

I really couldn't care less about stepping over someone, but the extra space is essential to my comfort on a night flight. The previous generation CW has plenty of extra space in 4A (around 4 inches) and slightly less but still sufficient (2-3 inches) in 3K - there being no 4K. In fact in the old config these seats were better than 62K/A on a 747 where there was a shield thingy blocking your feet beyond the footrest.
I can't be certain but I remember being able to stretch out fully with no problems and I'm around 6'3
The downside is they are [as are all the 777 window seats] noticeably narrower than window seats upstairs on a 747.

@CIHY -yes thats what I meant-if you were in row 4 and then a row 5 appeared that you weren't expecting,it's the row 5 that you mightn't get as someone else may have it before you get to olci.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Great news, as I appear to have the same aircraft coming back from GIG to LHR in April and have bagged 5A and B/C which ever it is for the flight...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone, I have a EWR-LHR flight coming up with a row 5 as well and I was confused by seatguru et al also. This clears it up!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA
5A does have extra space, and no one to climb over, but does suffer from light from the galley, and in the gap between the bulkhead and the side of the plane.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; SPG Platinum
I seem to recall a thread (which I can't find) that indicated that you didn't get the full complement of windows if sat in 5A/K. i.e. the window nearest your head is missing - I think I have sat in this seat previously I just can't remember...

Can anyone confirm that's the case?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Deep Vein Eddie
I seem to recall a thread (which I can't find) that indicated that you didn't get the full complement of windows if sat in 5A/K. i.e. the window nearest your head is missing - I think I have sat in this seat previously I just can't remember...

Can anyone confirm that's the case?

Thanks!
That is indeed the case for the two 777's we have at LGW (MMB and MMF). There are three windows at 5AK and you can see out of two of them, but the one you'd use most, ie. by your head, is the one which isn't there. Had 5K on the way back from the US and it was very annoying having to strain yourself to see out.

Sorry I'm not as familiar with those used out of LHR but I think the same thing applies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.