Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
I just used our voucher to book for later this year. It was a pretty simply process - the voucher we'd earned appeared in the page that starts the booking process and all one had to do was click on the radio button to apply it to that booking.

However, if one went in the other way (where you check redempton availability over a range of dates) the booking engine did not realize I had a voucher to use and, in my case, gave me a fail on not having enough miles. This is one thing I would want to see the folks at ba.com change. I mean, it was simple enough to work around - after you've checked availability over the date range, you simply start over with the booking engine that shows your voucher being available and book the actual dates you want, but doing so felt a bit "klunky".

Anyhow, LAX-CDG r/t in J for 2, with a nice long layover in the UK = 100k miles, the voucher, and a total of $750 in taxes and fees! Nice!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:48 am

Companion ticket with paid or award ticket?

Hello all,

Sorry for my confusion, and yes I have read the six pages of posts on this thread. I will admit to being new to BA after successfully signing up for the 100K visa offer in January.

From this link on the companion offer details, it seems they are iron clad that one must actually buy at least a World Traveler Plus ticket in order to use the companion ticket.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_us

"4. The full fare revenue passenger and companion MUST travel together with no exceptions."

Still it seems some have been able to book a companion ticket when using an award ticket. Might this be for folks who received their companion voucher before the 100K visa? As the World Traveler Plus ticket added to the taxes and charges for a companion are about the same as buying two economy trans-Atlantic tickets, it seems it is not worth the $30K spend.

Again sorry for any confusion on my part and I appreciate any and all advice others may offer.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:11 am

You are confusing (1) the companion ticket you get with a full-fare revenue ticket (which isn't very valuable), and (2) the companion voucher you get for an award flight if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year.

These are two completely different animals.

Go here for the details on the latter offer (the award voucher):
www.ba.com/redeemfor1travelfor2
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:43 pm

Thumbs up THANK YOU!

Steve, thanks so very much. This is why I live for flyertalk. I am a totally new to BA, so sage advice from those wise elders is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
You are confusing (1) the companion ticket you get with a full-fare revenue ticket (which isn't very valuable), and (2) the companion voucher you get for an award flight if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year.

These are two completely different animals.

Go here for the details on the latter offer (the award voucher):
www.ba.com/redeemfor1travelfor2
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Quick question. If I live in a city (CLT) where BA doesn't fly, can I use an AA segment to get to a city (IAD) where BA flies and still use the voucher? The rest of the segments would be on BA. Or would I need to drive to IAD or book a separate positioning flight?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by 4Health
Quick question. If I live in a city (CLT) where BA doesn't fly, can I use an AA segment to get to a city (IAD) where BA flies and still use the voucher? The rest of the segments would be on BA. Or would I need to drive to IAD or book a separate positioning flight?
You'd have to get yourself to a BA gateway city. The terms and conditions of the offer make it clear that only BA-operated mainline flights qualify for the coupon redemption.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, CO, JB
Does this offer only apply to BA metal?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by krazedtrader
Does this offer only apply to BA metal?
Yes
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by NICEDUDE66
Steve, thanks so very much. This is why I live for flyertalk. I am a totally new to BA, so sage advice from those wise elders is much appreciated.

Yes, there are many wise folks on this board but not every wise person is an elder.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:44 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Wow -- what a great surprise. I had no idea the promotion was even running, and I just logged on to my BA account to find the voucher! Since Mrs. BLG and I have about 230,000 in our HH account, I guess the world is our CW oyster!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by BLG
Wow -- what a great surprise. I had no idea the promotion was even running, and I just logged on to my BA account to find the voucher! Since Mrs. BLG and I have about 230,000 in our HH account, I guess the world is our CW oyster!

LOL! Which is rather what I was hoping would happen with many of the "thousands of vouchers" that had to be issued for last year's spend. But I've used mine now, so I'm happy enough.

I am wondering how easy it will be to use them in the future though, with everyone clued in and expecting them!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:53 am

are they still issuing voucher?

Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't make any mistakes!

I know that I qualify for the Chase 30,000 voucher, but I cannot see it when I log into the EC. I log on and see the page with my mileage, future bookings etc., but I do not see anything about this offer.

Are they still issuing the vouchers? Am I being impatient? Am I looking in the wrong place? Is it obvious?

Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I have never gotten a definitive answer re open jaw trips using the award companion voucher. At one point Dilly said those would have to be booked by phone but the T&C's indicate all travel must be booked on ba.com

Is it possible to use the voucher for an open jaw trip?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by W-B
... I know that I qualify for the Chase 30,000 voucher, but I cannot see it when I log into the EC. I log on and see the page with my mileage, future bookings etc., but I do not see anything about this offer.
Are they still issuing the vouchers? Am I being impatient? Am I looking in the wrong place? Is it obvious?
Welcome to FT!

There is a lag time before the electronic certificate posts to your account page, presumably based on your billing cycle. I charged $30K by my 2/19 billing cycle date and about 30 days later, the electronic certificate magically and prominently appeared (highlighted in blue) on my EC account page. So unless you similarly charged your $30K by February, and you don't see your cert, I wouldn't be concerned.

The OL booking process is relatively easy, but finding (desirable) availability as we get into spring/summer might be a challenge depending on where you're going. SFO-LHR-SFO in First was easy with availability on one or both daily non-stops most days until June. I booked SFO-LHR for late May, but finding a convenient BA connection to IST was impossible. In the end, I just bought a RT ticket on TK for LHR-IST. Their J was reasonably priced, and I get real J class with sleeper seats, not the crappy Y seat with an open middle that BA calls J.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:23 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
At one point Dilly said those would have to be booked by phone but the T&C's indicate all travel must be booked on ba.com

Is it possible to use the voucher for an open jaw trip?
Don't know the answer to your question but from the t&c linked to the voucher in the BAEC account it says:

"Redemption Vouchers must be booked via BA channels only, these being the BA Call Centres and online at ba.com."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.