Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC
The problem arises from NS&I not accepting Visa Electro, which is how the Paypal card presents itself.

When you buy via the Post Office you are ok as they effectively act as an agent and the PO accept Visa Electron.

Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
'Redeem your Membership Rewards points for double BA Miles' promotion

Just received in the post: 'For every one Membership Rewards point you transfer, you'll now receive two BA miles.' In the T&Cs: 'Offer valid until 20 February 2010 and miles will be credited by 26 March 2010. Offer only available to selected cardmembers of American Express' (I have BA Prem Plus Amex and Plat Chargecard).

Has anyone else received this, and do you think it is worth transferring a load of points over? (I already have quite a few spare BA miles).
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by wyvern
Just received in the post: 'For every one Membership Rewards point you transfer, you'll now receive two BA miles.' In the T&Cs: 'Offer valid until 20 February 2010 and miles will be credited by 26 March 2010. Offer only available to selected cardmembers of American Express' (I have BA Prem Plus Amex and Plat Chargecard).

Has anyone else received this, and do you think it is worth transferring a load of points over? (I already have quite a few spare BA miles).
Oooooh good
I was waiting for one of these offers to come along before I transferred my MR points. My post hasn't arrived yet today but I have the same cards as you so here's hoping I am one of the 'selected cardmembers'.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Depends .... you certainly get a better deal from airline transfers than hotel transfers. On the other hand, I tend to use my Amex points to top-off other programmes where I am a little short of what I need for an award. If you were relatively certain you would send them to BA anyway then now is a decent time, of course.

(PS. I have have a Plat Amex and BA PP and no card for me today!)
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/HTC_Touch_Pro2/1.14.161.6 (50207) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

It must be the amex plat chsrge card that triggers it. I have one of those but no BA card and I got the same letter. With about 30k Amex points, this is a nice bonus for me. Will wait until closer and try and earn a few more before 20th Feb.

Thinking about it, Amex and Tesco, BA must be offering very good deals on miles to their partners. Let's hope they don't just fold thereafter - I'll have a nice stash come March.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wyvern

Argggghhh - I transferred 16,500 MR points over to BA last night. Not received that in the post.... C'est la vie...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
I got the offer in the post today. Have a regular Gold Amex (and a BMI Plus Amex), but no platinum nor BA PP card.

It does say the offer is only for selected recipients but their selection criteria seem a little odd...or is that the postal service?

Last edited by adl73x; Jan 22, 2010 at 9:07 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Certainly worth a go. Then go your local PO and try to do a modest purchase, say Ł100, so if the card if refused it doesn't look bad. Once it works once you can go back another day and do a bigger purchase.
Ill give it ago, apply online & keep you posted. It can be my way of giving back some feedback, as im always seeking it. If it works, then in my opinion it is an easier and safer method than the late Zopa route.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
BA Amex customer service drama

Short version: Always question what the BA Amex CSRs tell you, don't be afraid to complain, and the only LHR Amex branches that can do you a temporary card are in T3 and T4.

Long version:

In the words of the great Elle Woods, oh my god you guys. I have just experienced the most dreadful and yet the most excellent customer service from the BA Amex people.

I noticed three days ago there was a crack in it. "Crap," I thought to myself, "I wanted to charge stuff to it so I got BA miles."

So I rang Amex.
Amex: "Hello, Mr That, this is Tom in Leeds, how can I help?"

Me: "Hi Tom, I'm off to New Zealand on Friday and there's a crack in my credit card, any chance I can arrange a new one to be collected out there?"

Tom: "I'm sorry, we don't have any offices that can get you a card in New Zealand, but I can arrange a temporary three month card to be waiting for you at the airport tomorrow."

Me: "Fantastic!"

Tom: "If you'll let me know your travel dates I can let the system know that you'll be in New Zealand so you're less likely to trigger any international charge declines."

Me: "Until the 14th of February."

Tom: "Great. If you want to make any purchases in airports on the way, let me know those too and I'll add them to the list."
So, I was all very happy.

Until my mother (whose house is my permanent address on account of my International Man of Mystery lifestyle) texted me rather panickedly to say that Amex had left an URGENT URGENT URGENT message on the home phone. So I rang them up this afternoon, and apparently there's no embossing machine at LHR T1, only T3 and T4. I don't even know. Anyway, so I arranged to check in (NZ Business Premier, may a plague be on both my lounges) over to T3, and asked the CSR to confirm that everything was in order. Which he did.

Mother dearest (who delights in telling people that she is [i]a senior citizen on two continents) then received another call from Amex (who by now have been advised of my mobile number thricetimes). I ring back. Turns out that the previous CSR put no notes on the file/ ^^^^^ oops no wait

So, I explain it all over again, and things are (apparently) all sorted. I check in with the loveliest checkin agent ever, who actually shares my birthday, which was amusing, and head on over to the T1 Amex desk, to make sure that they can't indeed do it. The agent confirms they can't, then rings over to T3 to ensure everything's in order. It is.

A lovely walk underground in LHR mit gewheeliebag ensues, which is lovely, except smelling faintly of urine (not me, I hasten to add), and I arrive at T3 and find the Amex branch. Who claim to only just have received the fax, and by the way Mr That, the machine is broken and it won't be possible.

Dear reader, I will admit to a slight sense of humour failure at this point. I still feel like a good person because I apologised for being about to go into a little bit of a rant, didn't raise my voice, and then thanked the branch manager for putting up with my rant. She then suggested that, in the circumstances, I go relax in the lounge and they would send a nice man over to T1 airside with the card.

I had a Free and Frank Exchange of Views with a manager in the call centre, and he offered Ł20 for the calls and drama and 1000 BA miles for my trouble. ^ Jesus, I am such a mile slut.

I mentioned the Man With The Golden Amex's imminent arrival to the very friendly dragon in the bmi T1 Great British Lounge (Forgive me, PUCCI, for I have sinned; it has been six months since my last BA flight. My excuse is that I'm going to NZ and got a sinfully cheap fare that will kick my VS FC mileage into a nice space to go to the States next year.), and not an hour and a half later a very nice man from the T3 branch appeared at my chaise-longue-side and hands me the card. This, admittedly, was very VIP and all the Bavarians (LH Munich flight, I suspect) looked on with envy as the nice man handed over my new card in a special envelope.

All's well that ends well, I guess, but it strikes me that this was much more drama than it needed to be.

OT: Goodness me, T1 is so much less of an irredeemable hellmouth with only the *A carriers in it!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Argggghhh - I transferred 16,500 MR points over to BA last night. Not received that in the post.... C'est la vie...
Called Amex today, and was told that my transfer would qualify, and I should receive the extra BA miles.... Anyone got the mailing to hand to give some indication of when they might be posted? They haven't came through with the transfer (which appeared next day on my BA account), and the BA miles cupboard is looking rather bare - we only have 158 BA miles in the household
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
The mailout says they'll post the bonus miles by 26 March, so breath holding is contraindicated.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks adl73x - will note the date in the diary, and continue breathing as normal!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:04 pm

Not confirmed, however it has been mentioned on another thread; 'BA & Tesco', that the paypal top up card can be used to pay off your AMEX balance. Unlikely in my opinion however if it is now possible it would be a great way to 'wash through' money for free in order to trigger the 2-4-1.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by swalwell
I have not tried to buy currency but I use the Paypal card to buy Premium Bonds at the PO without a problem.

Also, if ordering currency at Travelex online and you go via http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ then you get 0.5% cashback on your transaction. It isn't a great deal but only takes 20 seconds longer.
I tried to pay for stamps in the PO using my PayPal card but without any joy -
If buying premium bonds works then this could be ideal.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977
I tried to pay for stamps in the PO using my PayPal card but without any joy -
If buying premium bonds works then this could be ideal.
Regular purchases (stamps etc) should be absolutely fine at the Post Office with the Paypal card. In fact, I'm sure I used it myself last week. They also take Mastercards, they just don't take AmEx credit cards.

Last edited by where2travel; Jan 25, 2010 at 5:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.