Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
It's the ES8000 series from Samsung; awesome piece of kit. They threw in a wireless sub and sound bar, which does the job pretty well.
I hope you either: 1. Ordered it the weekend there was 10% off via Quidco on Samsung TV's over £1000 at Currys or through the BA store on double miles

And don't forget to claim your £250 back from Samsung - read the small print though - not before 14 days and not more than 28 days after the purchase of the last product!

I bought the next size ES8000 down as my plasma failed after 3 and a half years and those nice people at Marks and Spencers gave me all my money back as they couldn't repair it. The ES8000s don't look that big because they are frameless - very stylish piece of kit.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by RedVee
I bought the next size ES8000 down as my plasma failed after 3 and a half years and those nice people at Marks and Spencers gave me all my money back as they couldn't repair it. The ES8000s don't look that big because they are frameless - very stylish piece of kit.

Do you mean John Lewis? I didn't think M+S did TVs!

I have a 42" vintage 2004/5 Panasonic Viera plasma which cost an astronomical amount of money back in the old days and it isn't even HD!

I've been meaning to change it for a while but things seem to be updating so fast and getting cheaper all the time!. Not to mention the fact that I hardly ever watch TV lately. For the past few years I keep saying, "we'll get one next christmas", then at christmas I'll say, "we'll get one in the january sales", then in January I'll say, "oh, but look, a new one just came out", then I'll say "If we wait a few months this new one will be a lot cheaper" and on and on the story goes

I guess if Tesco have a really good offer and I have a few spend and saves I could use on gift vouchers, a double/triple points voucher and pay using my Amex Gold for double supermarket spend I could be tempted maybe, "in the new year"

Last edited by PanGalactic; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:55 am
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Do you mean John Lewis? I didn't think M+S did TVs!
Yep, it was M&S, and they offered a full, no quibble 5 year warranty at the time (which might be part of the reason they don't do technology products anymore).

My failed one was a HD Viera which developed a vertical blue band, and M&S customer services were fantastic (and I am a huge John Lewis fan, so would measure them by those standards of customer service).

I'd be tempted to say don't replace yours till it breaks but the difference in energy consumption is startling. No longer is the TV an alternative heat source on cold winter evenings Plus the built in functionality in the new Smart TVs is impressive.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by RedVee
I hope you either: 1. Ordered it the weekend there was 10% off via Quidco on Samsung TV's over £1000 at Currys or through the BA store on double miles

And don't forget to claim your £250 back from Samsung - read the small print though - not before 14 days and not more than 28 days after the purchase of the last product!

10% off with the quidco code AND 10% cashback AND £250 Samsung cashback AND the free sound bar for buying two TVs. All in all, a very good price. Though still a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a television, but hey ho.

I moved from the 50" Samsung C6900 plasma. Bought it back when LED TVs couldn't touch plasma for 3D quality. Not an issue now, really.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Wow, I really DO need a new TV!

My xbox arrived today, great!

But my TV is so old it doesn't have HDMI

Need to source a xbox VGA cable which is about £15
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Wow, I really DO need a new TV!

My xbox arrived today, great!

But my TV is so old it doesn't have HDMI

Need to source a xbox VGA cable which is about £15
You forget to mention - you need to do it secretively! If the old ball-and-chain finds out, as I recall, you might be sleeping in the doghouse.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pianoamit
You forget to mention - you need to do it secretively! If the old ball-and-chain finds out, as I recall, you might be sleeping in the doghouse.
I'll take a look for the cable in Tesco and Asda when I go at 2:00am tonight for the last minute xmas shop, if I can't find one there I'll just take the xbox to someone else's house!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'll take a look for the cable in Tesco and Asda when I go at 2:00am tonight for the last minute xmas shop, if I can't find one there I'll just take the xbox to someone else's house!
Just do what I did, order a new 65" tv. She'll be so furious at that she won't even notice the Xbox!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Some very good TV deals lurking on www.hotukdeals.com
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:09 pm

Best deals at the moment are on the Samsung models, but I'm sure there will be some amazing deals on Wednesday.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:30 am

Just did my Knightsbridge run. Only 3 cards but took 2 mins in Gap and about 3 at Harvey Nichols. They were happy at both places to split 1 transaction over 3 cards
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just rang my Mum to remind her to bring her Amex supplementary card down with her today!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
8 cards used in HN's on Saturday, some on xmas booze, some on vouchers and a bit on cocktails in the bar.

3 cards used in tesco so far

and a starbucks

Good times, thanks amex it makes up for the Plat increase

hic
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Did my final Harvey Nichols one today -(the wife lost one of her supplementary card PINs so had to wait for it to be re-sent!) - giving a total of several hundred in vouchers, plus have over £100 loaded on a GAP gift card.

Add on the shop small promotion last month (still munching through the haul obtained from hotel chocolat) and it has been a very good few months to have an amex, or, in this case, several!.
Hopefully there will be more promotions like this next year.l
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Did my final Harvey Nichols one today -(the wife lost one of her supplementary card PINs so had to wait for it to be re-sent!) - giving a total of several hundred in vouchers, plus have over £100 loaded on a GAP gift card.

Add on the shop small promotion last month (still munching through the haul obtained from hotel chocolat) and it has been a very good few months to have an amex, or, in this case, several!.
Hopefully there will be more promotions like this next year.l
You can view your PIN online, no need to get it resent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.