Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

It's Official: LGW staff are much much nicer than T5 staff !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's offficial, because I say so.

But seriously, another trip through LGW yesterday convinced me yet again how much nicer the experience is, mainly due to the friendly and helpful attitude of the staff. It's a much much nicer airport to pass through on your way to your BA flight.

I arrived at the Orange Terminal with PYOBP in hand, expecting no fast track and long queues for security. Check-in desks were empty with no queues by the way. No queue at security either, with the t-shirted-plastic-bag-dispensing-people smiling and asking if I need a bag for my liquids. I always find the T5 equivalents have a hidden agenda, getting bonuses for how many carry-on bags they can force us to check in for being 2mm over regulation size.

Security had 4 lanes open, with noone waiting at any of them. I was directed to one by a friendly chap, who clearly never went to the gestapo training school used by his T5 counterparts.

The BAA staff at the security scanners were all friendly, chatty and charming. No tutting, no barking, no shouting like at T5. On my way, and I was in the departures lounge, relaxed and feeling good, just 3 minutes after entering the terminal.

To the lounge, where the reception staff greeted me by name, and advised me (without asking) which gate it was (58) and how to get there.

The staff in the lounge were friendly, and tables were cleared immediately once people had left the lounge (same cannot be said for the T5 Flounge).

Gate 58 was manned by two gate agents, who were chatty, welcoming, greeted me by name, and looked very comfortable in their CS roles.

Onto the plane, welcomed by the lovely purser. Service was without fault and the smoked salmon sandwiches and scones adequate enough, drinks were plentiful, and service was very attentive. I have never felt so relaxed throughout the whole airport experience as I do when I travel through LGW. Why can't T5 be like this? Anyway, congratulations to everyone at LGW for continuing to be so service-orientated, so welcoming and making this a pleasant and enjoyable experience.

Last edited by Smirnoff; Jan 28, 2010 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

You might want to remove the name of your purser.

However, other than that, thanks for this lovely, warm, positive post!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
I haven't been thru T5 for a couple of months so it wouldn't be fair for me to compare - I've been flying PS recently which uses LGW South - but even in LGW South the experience has been very good and just as Smirnoff describes - so again well done LGW and keep up the good work!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ps - This isn't a dig at the excellent T5 staff, obviously T5 has it's problems - the much larger customer volumes, the BAA gestapo, the silly design of the airport, and there are some great staff at T5. But LGW somehow seems to come up with a formula which consistently makes the experience a real pleasure, which in the current environment is quite unusual, and I think this has a lot to do with the customer-focussed attittude of the staff throughout the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
While I'm not doubting your statement I've never had issues at T5, but haven't been but a few times. The two things most that stood out to me were at fast track securiy a older woman working for baa was barking orders at some young asian man who deciding to take of his pants instead of his belt. The other was a young woman about my age (low 20's) working at CW check-in. I wish I knew how to spell her name (Gerogina?) cause she got me 63K due to my seat being moved cause config change. If anyone knows a way to find out or write BA to thank this woman let me know. I want to make sure its the right person so idk if I can :/
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
The BAA staff at the security scanners
Not BAA anymore.

GAL is the accepted acronym for "Gatwick Airport Limited" now.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
If anyone knows a way to find out or write BA to thank this woman let me know. I want to make sure its the right person so idk if I can :/
www.ba.com/welldone
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By the sound of it LGW must be overstaffed and underpaxed.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
I have never felt so relaxed throughout the whole airport experience as I do when I travel through LGW .
Yes I miss LGW North now that the TLS flights have gone to T5... doesn't make me prefer EZ over BA however as that goes into the South Terminal which is

EZ really has to be a lot cheaper for me to want to head into LGW South on a regular basis.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
By the sound of it LGW must be overstaffed and underpaxed.
Or the staff are just trained to smile and keep the passenger flow moving more efficiently
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HighLife
Yes I miss LGW North now that the TLS flights have gone to T5... doesn't make me prefer EZ over BA however as that goes into the South Terminal which is

EZ really has to be a lot cheaper for me to want to head into LGW South on a regular basis.
Same here. Although I welcomed the fact that the TLS flights had moved to LHR which is much closer to home, the last time I open-jawed with the outbound to BOD (the outlaws live near Agen) as it was a mid afternoon flight and Gatwick is easier to get to from the West End.

I too found myself missing the LGW experience even though the terminal is not as shiny and the planes are falling apart. All due to the friendly staff there. ^
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Same here. Although I welcomed the fact that the TLS flights had moved to LHR which is much closer to home,
And for those many trips on which my final destination is not London, inevitably, LHR is better for T5 connections... or any other airline out of any other terminal for that matter ^

The only times I can remember connecting at LGW were to KEF and PSA ... the rest of the time I was straight on the National Express to LHR.. and in that case I'd rather be spending time in GF with the Lanson (and occasional private concert )
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Or the staff are just trained to smile and keep the passenger flow moving more efficiently
Maybe they're naturally just a happier bunch.....especially the ones who are given little presents now and again from their favourite passengers.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There must be something in the LHR water to which some staff are allergic. It's not just a BA thing. I have often found bmi staff at UK stations other than LHR more pleasant and friendly that their LHR colleagues. I mean, staff at LHR are usually fine and some are outstanding but people elsewhere seem, on the whole, less blasé and happier to work than at LHR. As with all generalisations, though, YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
It's offficial, because I say so.
And maybe because certain FT'ers buy them their favorite chocolates from Amsterdam... but I am not saying nothing about nowt I am not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.