Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seats on A318 CW LCY - JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Very interesting to note about the windows in rows 2 and 3, but am looking forward to testing them out from seat 2K. I hope I can still get the smoothie and a cereal perhaps in the to go bag (does it come in some sort of box or something that I can take with me?)...love, love, love that BA has this option! LH does as well...highly appreciated by business travelers!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just arrived in New York on BA1, in 2k. Seat was fine - the missing window is really half a window - there is not a window blacked out, just a bigger gap than usual between two windows. However, the window directly to your side is fine.

I wouldn't take 3k, you are right over the wing and the view down will be restricted.

Had some great views of the Olympic Village on the way out. Fantastic (for BA) food as well, far better than CW from Heathrow. Today is the first anniversary of the service and there was an extra round of champagne cocktails on board, plus hot Irish Coffees served during the Shannon stop (which was remarkably quick).

All in all, I'd recommend it. Time taken from the steps of the plane (hand baggage) to the new InterCon in Times Square - 65 minutes by public transport.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've booked 2k. I'll miss some bits like seeing the airport terminal during take-off, but there's always the YouTube videos for that

Still 10 seats booked on my flight, 2 solos and 4 pairs including 1a and 1b.
If it stays that way, should be quick service on and off the ground
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I was in row 6 a few weeks ago JFK - LCY. The seats were fine, the flight about half to two-thirds full which is for having an empty seat next to you but for the long term viability of the service if that is common (depending on the support I understand some of the banks are giving the service!).

The greatest advantage, as Raffles suggested, is at the NYC end being a domestic passenger, and at the LCY end it was 35 minutes from the wheels touching the ground to me being through my front door! Clearly it depends where you live in London, but I've driven around for longer than that at LHR to get to the gate.... (OK, a slight exaggeration!).
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say, I would absolutely do it again. Even getting to City from Chelsea, which is geographically good for Heathrow, was just an hour - the same as it takes on the tube to LHR.

The 180 tier points instead of 120 is an extra bonus (although these haven't posted yet, albeit it did show in MMB).
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
My point posted and I loved the flight,
Row 2 is in my view the best, you miss part of a window but there is a window right next to your seat. Row 3 is is also missing a window but this is right next to your seat so your window is a little more inconvenient to watch out of at it is more forward.

Other rows I guess are fine, but later in the meal service, but then how late can it be with 20 somethig seats?

Globalist
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Globalist
My point posted and I loved the flight,
Row 2 is in my view the best... Row 3 is is also missing a window but this is right next to your seat so your window is a little more inconvenient to watch out of at it is more forward.

Other rows I guess are fine, but later in the meal service,
Errm, that's not actually quite true. Row 1 is earlier in the meal service.
I've already explained why I think 1A and 1K are the best seats - why don't you like them? I think proximity to the galley or loo is not remotely bothersome in the window seats - it could be a minor issue in the aisles.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just arrived in New York on BA1, in 2k. Seat was fine - the missing window is really half a window - there is not a window blacked out, just a bigger gap than usual between two windows. However, the window directly to your side is fine.

I wouldn't take 3k, you are right over the wing and the view down will be restricted.
3b, 3j and 3k have all been booked now on my flight so either some people want to be near the front but everything else suitable has gone (could be a party of 3?), or don't know about or aren't bothered by the window situation.

Should anyone want any information and/or pictures from my flight next month, I'll try and get as much info as possible on the flight. Will attempt to get a good photo of row 3 should it's occupants not mind too much. Makes things easier to picture when you have knowledge of the little things rather than a limited selection of photos generally from the same couple of rows.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 6, 2010 at 8:16 am
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
Will attempt to get a good photo of row 3
No need to hold your breath...

3J & 3K:

3A & 3B:

and 2K:

Palmer
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:58 pm

Nice pictures.
Gives the impression that 3J & K have a window next to the seat and 3A & 3B have a window positioned slightly more forward.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
I have to say, I would absolutely do it again. Even getting to City from Chelsea, which is geographically good for Heathrow, was just an hour - the same as it takes on the tube to LHR.

The 180 tier points instead of 120 is an extra bonus (although these haven't posted yet, albeit it did show in MMB).
1h from T5 to Chelsea? What stop in SW London, just out of curiosity? If Piccadilly (the horror) is running fine then T5 to South Ken is 35 min tops.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Petrus
What stop in SW London, just out of curiosity? If Piccadilly (the horror) is running fine then T5 to South Ken is 35 min tops.
I don't quite get it either. The thing about Chelsea is there aren't really any tube stops in Chelsea at all. South Kensington, Sloane Square, West Brompton and Imperial Wharf (the last not a tube stop, I know) all border Chelsea, but none is really in it. It's a tube desert, served by buses, taxis and Chelsea Tractors.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
It's a tube desert
Allegedly because the residents didn't want the riff-raff to be able to invade en masse. Having wandered down the King's Road recently I am sceptical about the success of this.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Petrus
1h from T5 to Chelsea? What stop in SW London, just out of curiosity? If Piccadilly (the horror) is running fine then T5 to South Ken is 35 min tops.
The 1hr I quoted was door to door, so includes my stroll from Chelsea to South Ken or (for City) Sloane Square.

It is actually 43 minutes (officially) to T5 from South Ken, and the walk is c 12 minutes.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:27 am

Up to 12 people on my flight now. 1B and 1J + K have been booked so someone likes sitting at the front.

I'll probably arrive an hour or so before my flight. No rush and it will make a change from a 747.
All I need to do now if find out the menu - every one I've seen is a year out of date, although it could still be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.