Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Oh no, not an OpUp..." or "Have I Gone MAD?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

Yesterday when I boarded the BA10 for BKK from SYD the red light came on when they scanned my BP. I was booked in 62K and my instant reaction was "oh no, please no upgrade to F!" fearing I would wind up in one of those middle seats.

So, for me it is now clear. F holds no big attraction anymore. Any medication you could suggest?

By the way, the red light blinked because I had no flight out of BKK booked on BA (but on CX) and they had to check if I intended to stay longer than 30 days.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jan 21, 2010 at 3:10 am Reason: Thanks Mod!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can understand not wanting to swap 62K for 4E. The worst seat in F. Thankfully all of last years op-ups were to decent seats (the 'worst' being 5K).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
You're not going mad... I had a 64K Op-Up to 5A recently at the T5B lounge which I wasn't ecstatic about - partly due to the reduced privacy but also as I hadn't taken my Empower adaptor for my Mac with me. It was marginal but I took the upgrade..

Anyway it could have been worse - 62K was also upgraded right behind me at boarding to 4E... he was really grumbling and asked to keep his original seat... eventually the "new" 62K appeared in F looking somewhat bewildered by his double op-up!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I have never had an op-up to F, and never had the joy of 4E (I've sat in 1K and 2K on a 747 and assorted window seats on a 77, but I really think my tastes are a bit traditional. I think for the better food, wine, service and space I'd prefer any F seat to any J seat, even though certain J seats (like 62K and 64K) are more private. Becomes a bit more marginal on a night flight, but the F bed is still more comfortable than the J bed, especially for a big chap.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
With the quality of the food on my last flight in 62K (served in a foil container + CE plastic charger FFS) I would have gladly taken an OPUP to any seat in F (especially as it was a day flight.)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Power sockets are a pain, but the bed is far bigger.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:26 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Power sockets are a pain, but the bed is far bigger.
That is true - loan of an EmPower has never been a problem for me in F though, as I inevitably won't have mine if I've been upgraded.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:36 am

Food was a great disappointment when I finally did my first F last year ... ended up going with something off the CW menu
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Blue
Mrs DMF and I were op-uped to 5E and F on a very full flight to YVR which was fine for us as a couple travelling together, I could see that 4E and F were less "private" but as the saying goes any first/club seat is a good seat

Even with a full load of 14 we did not feel it was crowded or less private than our booked club seats upstairs 63A/B and with a really good crew we had a great time, I was even told off by Mrs DMF for having a nap and not enjoying all that First could offer for the full flight!

I can see that more frequent travellers than ourselves and if travelling alone might not see the benifit but I can't see myself turning down a seat in First.

The only thing I missed out on, not knowing about it at the time was the small room with a view at the back of the cabin as I must have only used the other room during the flight.

DMF
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Was on a J ticket from ORD in mid Dec, and for some reason I was quite hopeful and even sure I might get an u/g on this sector.

OLCI'd, carry-on only, and went to the First desk for my BP. Lo and behold, the nice lady said "Mr. Cap70 you're seated in 4K tonight". I was quite pleased, mainly because I do enjoy the better food and service in F. Also because my J seat was 11A on a 777, so I was rather chuffed ^

The food didn't disappoint, but on this route, with the short flight time, sleeping time suffered. As well, for some reason, I just couldn't get comfortable with the bed this time around. I didn't catch up on the time difference for 5 days after!

If I'd been in 62 or 64 A/K, I think I might well have had the same feeling as the OP. On a 777 tho I wouldn't hesitate.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have been underwhelmed with F the last few times. I dislike empower and had several flights where they only carried one or even no adapter and I missed out. Food on an airplane is always bad (altitude stuff aso) and I don't drink on board. I find 62A/K or 64K more private than F and I can sleep anywhere as long as it is flat.

What possible reason could I have to fly F?

Edit to add that I agree with the poster before me. On a 777 I would prefer F.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:46 am

Never flown F and never been upgraded, on BA, ever. Sniffle, woe is me.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yesterday when I boarded the BA10 for BKK from SYD the red light came on when they scanned my BP. I was booked in 62K and my instant reaction was "oh no, please no upgrade to F!" fearing I would wind up in one of those middle seats.

So, for me it is now clear. F holds no big attraction anymore. Any medication you could suggest?

By the way, the red light blinked because I had no flight out of BKK booked on BA (but on CX) and they had to check if I intended to stay longer than 30 days.
Henkybaby - How can I improve the F experience for you? Suppose I told you that I am - if flying over Easter and I usually do - will promise to wear my old Playboy Bunny costume (never told you I did that whilst studying - No? I never told my Mother either!) from when I was a young young Pucci. Fortunately the only thing that has sagged with age about it or me are the fishnet tights.

Would the Easter Bunny be able to soothe you back even into 4E? I rather fancied being the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny - and I could feed you chocolates. Now like the Sleeper Suits they never go south of the F galley! I'll let the CW service take care of itself!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Henkybaby - How can I improve the F experience for you? Suppose I told you that I am - if flying over Easter and I usually do - will promise to wear my old Playboy Bunny costume (never told you I did that whilst studying - No? I never told my Mother either!) from when I was a young young Pucci. Fortunately the only thing that has sagged with age about it or me are the fishnet tights.

Would the Easter Bunny be able to soothe you back even into 4E? I rather fancied being the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny - and I could feed you chocolates. Now like the Sleeper Suits they never go south of the F galley! I'll let the CW service take care of itself!
Pucci!!

Goodness you've got Malhoumbeau salivating now! He LOVES chocolate anything!! It's all I can do to restrain him

Happy New Year (belated)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Ooooo - now there is a thought.. I am flying F on April 1st which is nearly Easter so I live in hope

Downside is that I will have the Mrs and my 4 and 5 year-old with me so in fact anyone who wishes to avoid this flight best PM me for details!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.