Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 227 to Atlanta 16/01 BA get it all wrong - 9 Hours on a plane and went nowhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 227 to Atlanta 16/01 BA get it all wrong - 9 Hours on a plane and went nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
Done and awaiting BA response

Welcome to Flyertalk krischiv hope you find this forum as helpful as I do.

Go to here and fill out the on line form.

I heard the comment I would rather be in bed too I believe I was in the row in front of you that fateful day.

It was a miracle that the passengers remained as calm as they did.
Thanks Dan, will follow. I too was surprised at the patience of all the passengers.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by krischiv
When passengers were held on tarmac for 3hours+ the US govtstepped in quickly and enacted a law. Does UK or EU have any similar statutes?
There was nothing quick about it. These situations had been happening in the US for years and years and they finally passed the law prohibiting it.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
There was nothing quick about it. These situations had been happening in the US for years and years and they finally passed the law prohibiting it.
Actually, they still have NOT passed a law. The DoT has stepped in with a new regulation under their existing authority --which they don't need Congress to pass a law for.

Congress has a proposed law (passenger bill of rights) but hasn't passed it yet.

Last edited by SocietyFlyGirl; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:19 am
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: Executive Club, OnePass, SkyMiles, HH, Marriott Rewards
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, sounds like a total nightmare! I did a 3-4 hrs stint on the same BA227 Atlanta-London that was due to bad weather, no apologies from BA or nothing except from the Captain, this was before the new US law, so I did not expect much. Sorry, if someone else mentioned this, but did BA offer you a refund, voucher or miles, just curious given that they have been dishing this out lately?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:48 am

No word or action to suggest let alone offers. Infact one of the ground staff printed a passenger biil of rights and gave to my wife.
I have tried Dan Dare's link to file a claim with all correct information for reimbursement and repeatedly I get a message saying that the systemis down and I should try later. The surprising part is that, I accidentally put the flt no as BA 277 initially and it came out with a message saying that the flight was not cancelled , but when I pt in the correct details it comes with a system malfunction message ! I will try again and if not successful will file a complaint with customer service.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:53 am

Well I tried again just now and this is the reply :

"We regret that we are unable to proceed with your claim.
Our systems are not responding,we apologise for this inconvenience.

Please check the booking reference and passenger's last name or try again later.

For full details of your rights under the legislation, please click here."
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Just received this email. So no issies with the sytem working apart from a fuller explanation to why the disaster happened to begin with and why BA let it stretch out to nine hours.

BTW sat in the T5N lounge having returned on an uneventful on time BA 226. Service back to its normal standards. I slept the whole flight so cant comment on any part of the food etc.

Originally Posted by BA Customer Relations;

Dear Mr Dare

Thank you for contacting us about your claim for compensation.

You are entitled to compensation for cancellation of your flight BA0227 on 16 January 2010. The distance of your disrupted journey, as calculated in accordance with EU legislation, was over 3500km. Based on this, you are entitled to EUR600 in compensation.

As there was one passenger included in the claim, the total compensation due is EUR600.

We are arranging to send you our cheque, which will be made out to you as the primary claimant, in your local currency. You will receive this under separate cover.

In your letter you also raised some issues regarding our service. This will be dealt with separately and you will hear from us soon.

Thank you for following this up with us and I hope you will fly with us again soon.

Best regards
EU Compensation Claims
Your case reference is:XXXXXXXX
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Just received this email. So no issies with the sytem working apart from a fuller explanation to why the disaster happened to begin with and why BA let it stretch out to nine hours.

BTW sat in the T5N lounge having returned on an uneventful on time BA 226. Service back to its normal standards. I slept the whole flight so cant comment on any part of the food etc.

Hope to receive mine soon. I too have just landed on the BA226 and had an e-mail from BAEC waiting for me advising my account has been creditted with 25,000 miles. If the chqeue does arrive I'll be a happy bunny
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Agent Zigzag
..... had an e-mail from BAEC waiting for me advising my account has been creditted with 25,000 miles.
No offer of miles for me - hopefully this will follow.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by dreamwks
due to bad weather, no apologies from BA or nothing except from the Captain,
the captain is apologising on behalf of BA. I would consider the captain to be the appropriate person in the event of an onboard delay.

With regard to the 227 in question though it clearly was not a good situation for customers and had anyone realised how long it was going to go on for there is simply no way customers would have been left onboard for that long!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Got an email from BA apologising for the delay due to snow. I fired back a reply stating that it was not the weather. Eventually rang customer relations and got miles for inconvenience. Funnily enough got home to find my comp cheque had arrived, GBP 538.

Matter concluded for me.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:18 pm

Got an email from BA apologising for the delay due to snow. I fired back a reply stating that it was not the weather. Eventually rang customer relations and got miles for inconvenience. Funnily enough got home to find my comp cheque had arrived, GBP 538.

Matter concluded for me.
Dan dare...

I was also on the ill faited in luggage class. I note that some persons on the flight were given 25000 miles comp. I was offerd a derisery 10000. does this depend on you BA status...I am a lowley blue card holder. They then offered me a one way cabin upgrade.. This also seems not enough for what we all had to go through... and also when you applied for comp how long did this take to process???

Steve...
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Matter concluded for me.
I'm glad to hear it's been settled, and you have got miles for inconvenience and the compensation cheque. I was starting to wonder if your case may end up being treated similarly to those who were downgraded from CE to ET. Glad BA hasn't lost the plot.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigsteve1874
Dan dare...

I was also on the ill faited in luggage class. I note that some persons on the flight were given 25000 miles comp. I was offerd a derisery 10000. does this depend on you BA status...I am a lowley blue card holder. They then offered me a one way cabin upgrade.. This also seems not enough for what we all had to go through... and also when you applied for comp how long did this take to process???

Steve...
Hi bigsteve1874 and firstky welcome to FT. I was offered 15k miles to begin with and then mentioned others were given 25k. However that was for Gold Card holder in Club World. As a Silver in World Traveller I accepted 20k in the end. I was happy with this as the cancelled flight had also posted miles and Tier Points.

I got my cheque yesterday so in all about a week at most to get compenesation - I did everything on line.

At the end of the day I could agrue for more but I am GBP 500 better off, I manged to avoid hotel and car rental for day one beciause I phoned the parties concerned and BA put me up in the Sofitel as well as giving me 20k miles. In the grand scale of things I lost one day where my buddy and I would have sat in a bar drinking beer watching the NFL playoffs.

There's always next time!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome... yes i guess ur rite... not bad in the curcs...but the thing that ranlkes with me is. the the comp fund is paid by a EU government body not ba... miles mean nothing to them... i guess i just want BA to pay... but the 500 quid will ease the pain... the claim system online was not working had to fax it to the customer relations team may take a while longer no doubt....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.