FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier points on direct flight - JFK-LAX-SYD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1039759-tier-points-direct-flight-jfk-lax-syd.html)

Carl10022 Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Tier points on direct flight - JFK-LAX-SYD

Qantas 107/108 (if I remember the numbers right) fly as noted above - a direct (but not nonstop). Any idea if you earn 240 or 120 points each way in CW? Seem a shame to have to book separate segments just to get the tier points.

ACN Consultant Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Carl10022 (Post 13183549)
Qantas 107/108 (if I remember the numbers right) fly as noted above - a direct (but not nonstop). Any idea if you earn 240 or 120 points each way in CW? Seem a shame to have to book separate segments just to get the tier points.

I've done this route a few times now and if it was booked as a direct I only got 120 TP's, but 240 if booked as two separate segments.

As I travel mostly on OW DONE4's or CIRC26's, my booking are usually dictated by whether I'm restricted by segments (hence I book the JFK-SYD as a single direct flight) or by mileage (where I book it as JFK-LAX & LAX-SYD separately).

Seems a shame to have to do that, but that's been my experience so far.

DFB_london Jan 15, 2010 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ACN Consultant (Post 13183634)
I've done this route a few times now and if it was booked as a direct I only got 120 TP's, but 240 if booked as two separate segments.

As I travel mostly on OW DONE4's or CIRC26's, my booking are usually dictated by whether I'm restricted by segments (hence I book the JFK-SYD as a single direct flight) or by mileage (where I book it as JFK-LAX & LAX-SYD separately).

Seems a shame to have to do that, but that's been my experience so far.

Same in A class. One segment = 180 tp, 2 (JFK-LAX, LAX-SYD) = 360 TP.
You are allowed a stopover in LAX (ie you can sort of do a US domestic on QF) if connecting onwards internationally. In practice this normally means QF will only allow this to be ticketed if going on and out of the US on QF.
But QF F certainly beats AA both in product and speed: Last December we did JFK-LAX in 5h10.

If you are connecting on ex-SYD in Australia, or to NZ, some QF flights have BA codes. These can eanr 120TP too, but you usually need to be ticketed on a BA code into/out SYD.

For pure tier points I'd suggest you look at:
JFK-LAX (QF)
LAX-AKL (QF on a BA code, but no F ont his route)
AKL-SYD (QF, or BA code)
In J that could score you 360 TPs

Carl10022 Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks all for your help!