Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is Industrial action a yearly event at Xmas for BA?

Old Jan 13, 10, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby

Hello.
I'm thinking of flying BA to the UK for this coming Christmas (2010) but would hate to get caught up in what nearly took place again last year.
Is it likely that BA will be threatened with the same call to strike this year?
Thanks for any replies
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Let me look into my crystal ball

Frankly tattikat2, no idea. And I doubt anyone else does either. I suspect not, since this is the first time they've tried for industrial action at this time of year, but I can't say for sure, since it is nearly a year away, and a lot can happen in a year. OTOH, I don't see this particular industrial dispute dragging on that long - BA can't afford it.

If you are going to worry about what might happen to a flight in a years time, I suspect we can assist by giving you a lot more things to worry about, which might have a higher probability of happening? You've only to ask!
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
In general .... BA is susceptible to industrial action. The cabin crew, pilots, catering staff, check-in staff, baggage staff will all say that they only strike once every 10 years, but as you only need 1 of these groups to walk out to ground the airline, strikes do come along with relative frequency.

However, if you book now then you will be fully covered by travel insurance should a strike happen (as no ballots have obviously been announced) and you also pick up BA's generous compensation package as well. Its a win win all round! You'll have missed out if there wasn't a strike - I picked up 25,000 bonus miles from BA last month as compensation for my flight NOT being cancelled due to a strike!
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

However, if you book now then you will be fully covered by travel insurance should a strike happen (as no ballots have obviously been announced) and you also pick up BA's generous compensation package as well. Its a win win all round! You'll have missed out if there wasn't a strike - I picked up 25,000 bonus miles from BA last month as compensation for my flight NOT being cancelled due to a strike!
thanks for the replys Jenbel and Raffles.
what travel insurance are you referring to?
Is it included with BA bookings?
Thanks,
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by tattikat2 View Post
Thanks,
People in Europe often have travel insurance policies to cover ourselves against all sorts of travel mishaps. I get mine as a perk from my job.

This is unusual in the US.

BAH
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:30 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Why is it that Americans haven't taken to buying travel insurance, whereas it is almost taken for granted that you have some sort of travel insurance policy in countries such as the UK?
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by gms View Post
Why is it that Americans haven't taken to buying travel insurance, whereas it is almost taken for granted that you have some sort of travel insurance policy in countries such as the UK?
Because the main reason for having travel insurance (for us anyway) is because we have nationalised healthcare, which means we need stopgap health insurance for when we leave our comfy cosy world of not having to worry about how much falling ill or having an accident is going to cost us and go to someplace where we have to pay for healthcare - when those costs can be way greater than most people would be willing to self insure.

So we took out travel health insurance, and someplace it was realised along the line that a whole load of other extras could be packaged into it - maybe to increase the uptake and make it more attractive as a package, until the end result is that we actually have a rather good insurance product, which is widely available, and due to the competition and wide uptake, relatively reasonably priced. But that product is not that available in other markets, where the people already carry health insurance. As a result, it's not widely taken up, meaning it's niche, tends to cost a lot and is often only used who expect that they might need it - further increasing costs as the hit rate on it may be higher.

Whenever I read tales of woe from those who don't have access to the kind of travel insurance we have here, which would be solved by having travel insurance - I'm grateful I have it.
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by tattikat2 View Post
Thanks,
Travel insurance is something the vast majority of people worldwide (except in the US) purchase to cover themselves for any eventuality on trips they take. It will not be included in the price of the ticket but may be offered as an optional purchase with either your ticket price or a holiday package. (Jenbel has given a very good reason why most people purchase it).

As for strikes who knows. But despite the negative view that some have shown here, BA haven't had any strikes in the last few years. Yes, there was a threat of a cabin crew strike and a pilot's strike over the last 3 years or so, but neither happened. The last strike to have an impact was that of Gate Gourmet. This was not even BA staff but unfortunately had a major impact being the contractors responsible for catering our aircraft at LHR. Other airports, ie. LGW, were not affected as they use different contractors. Of course, I do understand how much anxiety the threat of a strike can cause and appreciate this could have a bearing on your decision.

Now if you're talking about the British railway or underground system, then almost certainly they'll strike. They do every few weeks but people tend to forget that.

Personally, I wouldn't even have a strike thought in my mind when considering my choice of flights. I think you should base your decision on which airline best meets your needs, ie. closest airport, type of service on board, etc.

Disappointing to see the compensation culture already rearing it's ugly head without someone having booked.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jan 13, 10 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
To pedantically answer your question, tattikat2, which was about a call to strike quite possibly there will be a threat of a strike around christmas, though others have noted for one reason or another it very rarely actually happens. None of the TATL carriers are particularly reliable so I would make my choice on who you prefer on the basis of product.
Old Jan 13, 10, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The last actual strike was in 2005 which was a wildcat strike when the loaders walked out on the instruction of the TGWU in sympathy of the sacked Gate Gourmet workers (one of the sacked strikers was given a 50k a year job at the union). In fact, I think there have only been two strikes in the past ten years and both were wildcat strikes which I don't think would ever be repeated, not least with Martin Broughton and WW in charge.

There have of course been recent ballots for IA but these have never resulted in an actual strike.

Meanwhile, AF, AY, AZ, IB, LH, QF and others have all had actual strikes (some repeatedly) over the past 2-3 years.

BA is also often portrayed as an industrial relations pressure cooker and there have also been significant internal changes to the business that don't even result in the threat of IA (LHR cabin crew working practices being the exception), notably significant reform of ground staff working practices before the move to T5 which The Economist predicted could have resulted in the aviation equivalent of Wapping.

Last edited by ian001; Jan 13, 10 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 13, 10, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue; HHonours Silver; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even have a strike thought in my mind when considering my choice of flights. I think you should base your decision on which airline best meets your needs, ie. closest airport, type of service on board, etc.
I'll hold you to that when the strike ruins my forthcoming trip to CPT and my travel insurance refuses to pay out!
Old Jan 13, 10, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
Whenever I read tales of woe from those who don't have access to the kind of travel insurance we have here, which would be solved by having travel insurance - I'm grateful I have it.
Indeed, the UK has very competitive travel insurance rates unfortunately the cheaper ones aren't available to British citizens living abroad like myself.

However it is still possible to get a good deal through the internet. I got my last travel insurance from World Nomads who thankfully offer it to residents of other countries.
Old Jan 13, 10, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Like Hiddy said, travel insurance ain't cheap here. I've been insuring my cruises this last few years, due to Mrs. Walsh getting on a bit and having a couple of health scares, and typically it costs me about $350 to insure as follows:

Insurance Coverages Provided | Benefit Amount (Individual) | Benefit Amount (Maximum)

Trip Cancellation | 1,500.00 | 3,000.00
Trip Interruption | 2,250.00 | 4,500.00
Travel Delay ($150 maximum per day, per person) | 1,000.00 | 2,000.00
Accidental Death and Dismemberment | 50,000.00 | 100,000.00
Baggage Delay | 500.00 | 1,000.00
Baggage and Personal Effects | 1,500.00 | 3,000.00
Rental Car (Not avail. to residents of TX or OR) | 50,000.00 | 50,000.00
Medical or Dental Expense | 250,000.00 | 250,000.00
Air Flight Accident | 200,000.00 | 200,000.00
Emergency Medical Evacuation | 1,000,000.00 | 1,000,000.00
Old Jan 13, 10, 2:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have a policy that costs me approx €250 per year (including the IAPA membership) and provides a similar type of cover to what mwalsh mentioned but to a higher sum, for up to 90 days each trip.

The beauty of this particular policy I have is that it is portable, so if I move country, the policy will move with me without extra costs.
Old Jan 13, 10, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
I wish what I quoted was for the year. It's for a single event, duration of about 3 weeks!

Search this Thread