What Happened to BA Flights dep SIN, 12 Jan?

Old Jan 12, 10, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold, BA, CO, Amex
Question What Happened to BA Flights dep SIN, 12 Jan?

Bit of background info: My spouse is (as I write) flying on a Singapore Airlines flight (SQ322 on an A380) from Changi airport, Singapore to LHR and then taking a BA flight to Zurich. He is BA Exec Silver - was Gold until last year when he relocated to Singapore on an expat posting and now usually has to fly with SQ for biz trips.

Not long before his flight was due to depart from SIN, he sent me a text message saying that there were mechanical problems and likely to be delayed by about an hour and he was worried about getting from LHR T3 to T5 for the BA712.

Anyway, I'm in New Jersey and got home this evening to see what time his plane did actually take off. I went onto the flightstats.com website and typed in flights from SIN-LHR dep 12 Jan.

I was very surprised to see that the BA12 (scheduled departure 22.55) was cancelled...and the BA16 (scheduled departure 23.20) actually departed at 17.28.... delayed 878 minutes

(Oddly enough the BA website says that for the BA16 flight: SIN-LHR scheduled time of departure; 12 Jan 23.20 - Actual time of departure; 13 Jan 13:45 (estimated)

Are the severe delays and the BA12 cancellation to do with the recent bad weather in the UK and crews unable to get to LHR?

(BTW the SQ flight departed about 55 mins late)
Old Jan 12, 10, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA gold; bmi silver; Virgin silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I was on that flight

Hi,

The BA0016 that you refer to was actually the flight for the 11th Jan. It should have taken off at 2320 on 11th, but finally took off at 1728 on the 12th – more than 17 hours late.

I was booked on the flight and the first I knew about the problems was when I tried to check in online early on 11th Jan. OLCI was not available, but MMB showed the flight times as the original (departing 2320 on 11th), and the status as confirmed.

I looked at the arrivals / departures section of the BA website, and it showed that the flight was going to leave SYD 16 hours late, and would therefore leave SIN at 1540 on 12th.

No contact from BA at this point.

UK BA offices were closed due to the time difference, so I called the Singapore office. Recorded message, saying high call volumes were being experienced, and the call was then cut off. Pretty much got RSI pressing redial over the next 2 hours, until I managed to speak to someone who told me that the problem was a tech fault, not a snow issue, and that I should make my own arrangements for accommodation in Singapore on the night of 11th, and go to airport on 12th for a 1540 departure. The person also told me that OLCI would become active at T-24 of the new departure time.

Checking throughout the day on 11th showed no change to MMB (still showing status confirmed, and departure of 2320 on 11th), and OLCI did not become enabled at any stage. Then, after 2320 on the 11th, the flight disappeared from my list of bookings.

I was still able to access the record by entering the reference number. Status and times were still as per original booking. OLCI not available.

We went to the airport at noon on 12th, and checked in using the ‘early check in’ area at Changi. Slowest check in experience of my life. Check in agent found the booking no problem, our reserved seats were available, and we had no excess luggage. Quite how it took her 15 minutes to get 2 boarding passes and 4 baggage tags is beyond me, and a serious surprise for Changi, which is usually a great experience.

Home now, and tomorrow's task will be the letter to Customer Services asking for reimbursement and applicable compensation....

Search this Thread