FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   YVR MFU Redux (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1038397-yvr-mfu-redux.html)

Deckard Jan 11, 2010 2:37 pm

YVR MFU Redux

Greetings,

I've been FAQing away like mad but would still appreciate input from more knowledgeable BAers as I'm a bit of a BA neophyte.

I'm currently due to return from YVR on Thursday with my GF in WT+. We couldn't get on the same PNR as she's flying YVR-LHR-YVR and I'm flying LHR-YVR-LHR. The PNRs are however linked on the system. So currently I have 11J and she has 12J. 11K is blocked as it's a bassinet position but I'm hoping we can change that at the airport so that we can sit together.

The thing is, when I log into manage my booking I am offered a reasonable £399 CW upgrade (much better than the £2300+ requested last week) and there's no opportunity to MFU. When she logs into her booking neither upgrade optionm is available - maybe because she isn't a member of BAEC?

In a perfect world I'd like to MFU us both - there is reward availability but I understand from CS that once you've started the trip you can't MFU the return. Seems strange to me but heighho. So I'd appreciate pointers on

MFUing us both before getting to the airport
MFUing us both at the airport - can it be done? Some FAQs would seem to indicate not but some posts would see to indicate that this might not be true?
Paying for upgrades for us both before or at the airport.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

itsmeitisss Jan 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 13160258)
Greetings,

I've been FAQing away like mad but would still appreciate input from more knowledgeable BAers as I'm a bit of a BA neophyte.

I'm currently due to return from YVR on Thursday with my GF in WT+. We couldn't get on the same PNR as she's flying YVR-LHR-YVR and I'm flying LHR-YVR-LHR. The PNRs are however linked on the system. So currently I have 11J and she has 12J. 11K is blocked as it's a bassinet position but I'm hoping we can change that at the airport so that we can sit together.

The thing is, when I log into manage my booking I am offered a reasonable £399 CW upgrade (much better than the £2300+ requested last week) and there's no opportunity to MFU. When she logs into her booking neither upgrade optionm is available - maybe because she isn't a member of BAEC?

In a perfect world I'd like to MFU us both - there is reward availability but I understand from CS that once you've started the trip you can't MFU the return. Seems strange to me but heighho. So I'd appreciate pointers on

MFUing us both before getting to the airport
MFUing us both at the airport - can it be done? Some FAQs would seem to indicate not but some posts would see to indicate that this might not be true?
Paying for upgrades for us both before or at the airport.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong, but I thought that I had read on here that you can now MFU the return after flying the outbound. I may remember wrong, but I thought that this had changed a few months ago....sometimes CS aren't aware

RayG Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm

That is correct, itsmeitisss. You can mfu the return after having flown the outbound. I have done it myself on the YVR-LHR route, recently.

Deckard Jan 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Thank you both. I leaned towards believing the CS Rep because my Manage My Booking has the upgrade with miles greyed out but the paid upgrade option is there. Guess I'll try calling again tomorrow and hope to get another CS Rep.

frankvb Jan 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 13160258)
MFUing us both at the airport - can it be done?

Can't be done.

BTW: if your booking was directly with BA, and your GF's ticket was booked otherwise, that could explain the difference. However also the fact that your booking is ex-UK and her booking ex-Canada may explain the difference in the offered MMB upgrade.

As well be sure to use OLCI to change your seats - the bassinet position will become available at T-24. At the airport you will likely be too late.

RayG Jan 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb (Post 13162658)
As well be sure to use OLCI to change your seats - the bassinet position will become available at T-24. At the airport you will likely be too late.

If you have status with BA, you could move to the bassinet seat 72(ish) hours prior to departure.

Deckard Jan 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Franky - both bookings were made by my RM at Amex so were both ex-UK. I am GUESSING that the MMB booking discrepancy is either because I flew out as a paid CW or because she's not in BAEC. Who knows. I was able to grab 11J as at the time of booking I was Ag. That lapsed at the end of December (too much VS travel last year) but this return flight will put me at 500+ TPs so I should be back at Ag shortly. I'm just hoping to move her into the bassinet at T-24. I paid £20 to put her in 12J - thinking that if worst came to worst 12K would prefer 11J - forgetting people's preference for Window seats :(.

Thanks again Ray - regretfully I'm a lowly Blue at present. That'll change soon enough. Hopefully my presence in 11J will make 11K unattractive for anyone with status so it'll still be there at T-24.

I'm pulling on my big girl panties and sucking up the concept of WT+ but I would like us to be seated together - she's never been to the UK before so I'm feeling a bit guilty about abandoning her to the "Other Nationals" immigration queue whilst I IRIS. Perhaps I'll have to suck that one up too ;).

Deckard Jan 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Courtesy Update

Our official BA Lurker confirmed that I can MFU mid way through a trip if there is availability but that my flight showed none currently.

At T-24 (in a restaurant with my GF and her mom (Cactus Club - one of the best chains I have ever eaten in FWIW)) I checked her in and tried to move her to 11K next to me. It refused as I had prepaid for 12J and therefore was only eligible to move seats at the airport - go figure... :mad:

So anyways I poked around a bit more and frankly I can't remember what I did - I suspect I accepted this then went into the booking and modified her seat assignment but I couldn't be sure. I ws able to move her to 11K next to me. The check in said she was in 11K, the MMB said she was in 12J. So to be extra safe I printed her boarding pass with her in 11K.

I then went to my own MMB and frustratingly it offered me the same £399 CW upgrade it had withdrawn. It goes without saying that I am far too chivalrous to accept this without being offered it for her so I quickly confirmed my 11J and printed my BP.

At the airport tomorrow I'll query this iniquity :).

Thanks to all involved for their help - I am slowly feeling my way to becoming a more experienced BA flyer. Next flight back to VS next Thursday for another EWR run...

frankvb Jan 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 13177910)
The check in said she was in 11K, the MMB said she was in 12J.

MMB seat allocation becomes irrelevant after OLCI has opened. So you'll be fine.

Deckard Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb (Post 13183542)
MMB seat allocation becomes irrelevant after OLCI has opened. So you'll be fine.

Thank you - we were. Now sat in the Galleries - the very nice check in person added a "Lounge OK" to our PNRs. Unable to upgrade as CW rammed. Regretfully F and WT+ wide open and WT showing 6s so little likelihood of OpUps...