HKG-LHR-FRA Leave Airport in transit

Old Jan 11, 10, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
HKG-LHR-FRA Leave Airport in transit

Just a quick question regarding a scenario which I'm going to be travelling in couple of days.

I'll be flying HKG-LHR on BA32 arriving LHR at 0500, and connecting to FRA same day on BA914 departing at 1905.

I intend to check my bags in HKG thru to FRA, but want to go into the city in London during the day.

So when I arrive LHR, what is the correct way to go about leaving the airport? Do I need to clear immigration & customs and then dump my bags into an EU transfer queue?

Or do I not see my bags at all at LHR and then when I land in FRA I go through immigration and customs as if I am coming off an international (non-EU origin) flight?

I'm a bit confused as I've never done this before.
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Your bags will be checked through to FRA and you'll be issued the LHR-FRA bp in HKG.
On arrival at LHR just follow signs to baggage claim and exit and have a nice day in London. There is no need for you to collect your bags at LHR.
Return to the airport in good time to get through security etc.
On arrival in FRA you'll need to go through immigration the same as everyone else from the LHR flight.
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks. So basically, when I arrive in FRA, I'll go through normal immigration and then go through the international customs channel rather than the EU one, as my bags are tagged from HKG and don't have the striped EU baggage tag.

Is that correct?
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

You will be given a BP for LHR-FRA at HKG. Hold on to this.

You may have to get the BP revalidated at LHR T5 before you clear BP check and security. Its a T5 thing. I tend to go landside when connecting in the morning at T5 to avoid the transfer queues.

Just forget about your bags until FRA. Be careful not to buy any liquids at HKG duty free or in London as these will have to be checked in at LHR.
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm now clear on everything. I assume on the way back, things are the same, check in bags in FRA and forget about them till HKG (though on the way back, I don't need to go landside).

Search this Thread