FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   "discounted" WT+ can be MFU'd, right? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1038066-discounted-wt-can-mfud-right.html)

AGSF Jan 10, 10 5:27 pm

"discounted" WT+ can be MFU'd, right?
 
There is currently a $150 discount offer right now for BAEC members (link once you log on to your account under "offers for you"). These are not "published" fares, but it is my understanding that these fares can still be upgraded?

MorganB Jan 10, 10 5:29 pm

I've upgraded these in the past without issue.

AGSF Jan 10, 10 5:44 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?

pinkcat Jan 10, 10 5:46 pm


Originally Posted by AGSF (Post 13154112)
Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?

either

map724 Jan 10, 10 5:48 pm


Originally Posted by AGSF (Post 13154112)
I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?

I recall that a few years ago I booked WT+ and did the upgrade to CW in a single online transaction. You sure you can't do that?

bernardd Jan 10, 10 6:24 pm


Originally Posted by AGSF (Post 13154112)
I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?

The last I heard BA was now applying change fees if you MFU an existing reservation. If that's the case, then the change fee on a typical 'T' fare is greater than the saving you make from the $150 discount.

Also, the $150 discount appears only to apply if you book online and not over the phone.

Putting all those pieces together, I came to the conclusion that while the discounted fares may technically be capable of MFU, in practice I couldn't find a way to make them work, UNLESS you happen to get an agent who didn't apply the change fee.

bernardd Jan 10, 10 6:28 pm


Originally Posted by map724 (Post 13154128)
I recall that a few years ago I booked WT+ and did the upgrade to CW in a single online transaction. You sure you can't do that?

The problem is the 'Book & Upgrade' feature normally shows you the regular fare, not the fare after the log-in discount.

FlyingDoctorwu Jan 10, 10 7:31 pm

i have a trip planned for MArch. thinking about booking one of these discounted WT+ fares, multi- city.. Will I be able to MFU them? Or should I just swallow the $150 and book the open-jaw and MFU via the call centre all at once(though I wonder if I can get them waive the fee)

FDW

MorganB Jan 10, 10 8:46 pm


Originally Posted by AGSF (Post 13154112)
Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?

I had to call in to get the big red D fares upgraded and have never paid a change fee. It took AGES to get it done however. Both times I have done this it took 45 minutes on the telephone. I think the agent in New Jersey has to contact the ticket desk in Jacksonville, FL to actually have the change made. It never cost me a dime beyond the points however. The last time I did this was one year ago however.

FrancisA Jan 11, 10 2:54 am


Originally Posted by MorganB (Post 13155059)
I had to call in to get the big red D fares upgraded and have never paid a change fee. It took AGES to get it done however. Both times I have done this it took 45 minutes on the telephone. I think the agent in New Jersey has to contact the ticket desk in Jacksonville, FL to actually have the change made. It never cost me a dime beyond the points however. The last time I did this was one year ago however.

I think you may have been lucky on this as the Big D (Sale fares) are normally cannot be upgraded either with cash or miles. Same applies to P booking class (which is an upgrade from WT).

I thought OP was referring to using a promo code to get discount (i.e. on normal or non-big D sale fare) then using miles to upgrade.

MorganB Jan 11, 10 1:18 pm


Originally Posted by FrancisA (Post 13156483)
I think you may have been lucky on this as the Big D (Sale fares) are normally cannot be upgraded either with cash or miles. Same applies to P booking class (which is an upgrade from WT).

I thought OP was referring to using a promo code to get discount (i.e. on normal or non-big D sale fare) then using miles to upgrade.

I've done it on two separate occasions with two of us traveling each time (MFU from WT+ to CW). Last time I did it there was discussion on this board about it and the official BA poster (BA ExecutiveClub) confirmed that it was possible. Both times I had to call in and it took forever but I didn't get any resistance from the agent.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:16 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.