"discounted" WT+ can be MFU'd, right?

Old Jan 10, 10, 5:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,209
"discounted" WT+ can be MFU'd, right?

There is currently a $150 discount offer right now for BAEC members (link once you log on to your account under "offers for you"). These are not "published" fares, but it is my understanding that these fares can still be upgraded?
AGSF is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Posts: 1,057
I've upgraded these in the past without issue.
MorganB is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,209
Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?
AGSF is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wild Wiltshire
Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Posts: 3,371
Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?
either
pinkcat is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: DL DM/MM/360; AA EP
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?
I recall that a few years ago I booked WT+ and did the upgrade to CW in a single online transaction. You sure you can't do that?
map724 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 6:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mostly AUS or rural England
Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Posts: 6,526
Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?
The last I heard BA was now applying change fees if you MFU an existing reservation. If that's the case, then the change fee on a typical 'T' fare is greater than the saving you make from the $150 discount.

Also, the $150 discount appears only to apply if you book online and not over the phone.

Putting all those pieces together, I came to the conclusion that while the discounted fares may technically be capable of MFU, in practice I couldn't find a way to make them work, UNLESS you happen to get an agent who didn't apply the change fee.
bernardd is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 6:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mostly AUS or rural England
Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Posts: 6,526
Originally Posted by map724 View Post
I recall that a few years ago I booked WT+ and did the upgrade to CW in a single online transaction. You sure you can't do that?
The problem is the 'Book & Upgrade' feature normally shows you the regular fare, not the fare after the log-in discount.
bernardd is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 7:31 pm
  #8  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,394
i have a trip planned for MArch. thinking about booking one of these discounted WT+ fares, multi- city.. Will I be able to MFU them? Or should I just swallow the $150 and book the open-jaw and MFU via the call centre all at once(though I wonder if I can get them waive the fee)

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Jan 10, 10, 8:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I know these can't be booked and upgraded at the same time, but were you able to upgrade in MMB, or did you have to call in?
I had to call in to get the big red D fares upgraded and have never paid a change fee. It took AGES to get it done however. Both times I have done this it took 45 minutes on the telephone. I think the agent in New Jersey has to contact the ticket desk in Jacksonville, FL to actually have the change made. It never cost me a dime beyond the points however. The last time I did this was one year ago however.

Last edited by MorganB; Jan 10, 10 at 8:54 pm
MorganB is offline  
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:54 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
I had to call in to get the big red D fares upgraded and have never paid a change fee. It took AGES to get it done however. Both times I have done this it took 45 minutes on the telephone. I think the agent in New Jersey has to contact the ticket desk in Jacksonville, FL to actually have the change made. It never cost me a dime beyond the points however. The last time I did this was one year ago however.
I think you may have been lucky on this as the Big D (Sale fares) are normally cannot be upgraded either with cash or miles. Same applies to P booking class (which is an upgrade from WT).

I thought OP was referring to using a promo code to get discount (i.e. on normal or non-big D sale fare) then using miles to upgrade.
FrancisA is offline  
Old Jan 11, 10, 1:18 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
I think you may have been lucky on this as the Big D (Sale fares) are normally cannot be upgraded either with cash or miles. Same applies to P booking class (which is an upgrade from WT).

I thought OP was referring to using a promo code to get discount (i.e. on normal or non-big D sale fare) then using miles to upgrade.
I've done it on two separate occasions with two of us traveling each time (MFU from WT+ to CW). Last time I did it there was discussion on this board about it and the official BA poster (BA ExecutiveClub) confirmed that it was possible. Both times I had to call in and it took forever but I didn't get any resistance from the agent.
MorganB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread