Wiki Posts
Search

Going SLOW - BA Lounges in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Going SLOW - BA Lounges in South Africa

Bits of this have been touched upon in various previous threads, but not at length, so I thought it might be helpful to have a thread specifically on the recent and significant upgrades to BA lounges in South Africa, particularly as the 2010 World Cup makes this quite topical.

International Lounges

Bad news first - arrivals lounges at JNB has gone. (Was this only non-London arrivals lounge?).

JNB - upgraded to galleries concept with large Galleries Club lounge and (from 4.30pm to departure of last BA LHR flight Galleries First). In same style/theme as LHR T5. Champagne available in club lounge on request (very nice Pol Roger NV at 10:30 in morning when I asked). Usual free Wifi, computers, premium drinks and snacks.

CPT - I don't know what is happening to international lounge - perhaps someone could update. Used to be single none too good terraces style lounge. I'm in there again on Thursday.

Domestic

Biggest changes of all!

JNB - Opened just before New Year as SLOW lounge. Run by Comair and open to BA customers (J/F and SCH/GCH) but also certain SA Private Bank customers. Lounge is large, in three main areas with separate computer area (8 MACs!!!), and Sports Lounge. Large bar with excellent waiter/waitress service. Decor is similar to GF at T5 but in some ways better and service is more like CR. Suffice to say, servce is excellent. I was there in morning so food was breakfast items, but it seemed good. There is even a Spa, but at JNB this is yet to be opened. Told it would be soon. For those familiar with JNB many of old staff remain and are genuinely proud of new lounge.

I would say that this is by far the best domestic lounge I have ever seen anywhere in the world. Indeed it has to be one of the best lounges anywhere full stop.

CPT - Closed for refurnbishment to SLOW lounge (with Spa from day one). [They give you a 50 rand voucher for use at catering outlets at the moment.] I would expect this is going to be like JNB and therefore well worth the wait.

DUR/PLZ - I don't know what's happening to these. They are both domestic lounges, currently in Terraces style. DUR in particular I remember being quite pleasant. Comair Horizons magazine does not say they are being refurbished to SLOW concept.

I am not sure how SLOW concept fits in with overall BA branding. It is neither Terraces nor Galleries and in some ways better that either. Perhaps BA are happy to have a peculiarly South African lounge product. All I can say is I wish that BA had similarly high class prodcts in other markets - the new SA lounges are exceptionally good.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
PLZ doesn't appear to offer anything beyond drinks and crisps, and isn't particularly inspiring. The magazine / news selection and wi-fi are poor among other things.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Is SLOW an acronym? Seems an odd brand name...
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:21 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Is SLOW an acronym? Seems an odd brand name...
I asked the same question but the lady on duty replied it was just branding and the strapline is: SLOW, the lounge for extremely busy people (as I recall).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I asked the same question but the lady on duty replied it was just branding and the strapline is: SLOW, the lounge for extremely busy people (as I recall).
I think it's really cool name, busy people can take it slow for a while^

I regret I missed it on the 28th Dec when I arrived in JNB. I just remember the temp lounge to be substandard and walked pass this SLOW lounge. I noticed it looked very nice, airy and light Some people were inside but I never realized it was a lounge that I could use
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by FrancisA
CPT - I don't know what is happening to international lounge - perhaps someone could update. Used to be single none too good terraces style lounge. I'm in there again on Thursday.
It is still a Terraces (single J/F) and too small. Worse, there are 2 PCs with 'net (one broken, which I had to fix ) and no wireless 'net provided by BA I was sat near reception the other day and dozens of people were coming up to ask the same question (me included at first) about wireless. Drinks/refreshments standard Terraces stuff so can't really complain. Bogs were clean and nice enough, didn't look at the showers. All in all a bit lacklustre though.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
JNB - Opened just before New Year as SLOW lounge. Run by Comair and open to BA customers (J/F and SCH/GCH) but also certain SA Private Bank customers. Lounge is large, in three main areas with separate computer area (8 MACs!!!), and Sports Lounge. Large bar with excellent waiter/waitress service. Decor is similar to GF at T5 but in some ways better and service is more like CR. Suffice to say, servce is excellent. I was there in morning so food was breakfast items, but it seemed good. There is even a Spa, but at JNB this is yet to be opened. Told it would be soon. For those familiar with JNB many of old staff remain and are genuinely proud of new lounge.
I am arriving QF63 from SYD at 16:10 and depart BA56 to LHR at 20:15 in July. Both flights are in F. Although BA56 is an international flight, will I have access to the JNB domestic lounge mentioned above? The idea of a spa is appealing after a 14 hour flight from SYD.

Jase.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Jase76
I am arriving QF63 from SYD at 16:10 and depart BA56 to LHR at 20:15 in July. Both flights are in F. Although BA56 is an international flight, will I have access to the JNB domestic lounge mentioned above?
Sorry Jase76, the International and Domestic Terminii at JNB are separate secure areas - you will however have access to both the BA Galleries First and Club lounges in the International Terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond

The CPT domestic terminal refurb had best get a wriggle on before the World Cup, it was an absolute disgrace when we were there in September - basically a tent with about 4 benches in it and totally disorganised bus service with lots of people getting on the wrong buses delaying all the boarding.

The wacky route to get around the domestic terminal is terrible, and if you're picking up/dropping off a car at Avis, you need to "Use The Force" to find your way in and out as the signage is non-existant amongst all the building and scaffolding randomly placed.

The stadium looked nowhere near finished either, I noticed no hint of urgency as 5 workmen watched one man in a hole with a shovel.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by globalste
The CPT domestic terminal refurb had best get a wriggle on before the World Cup, it was an absolute disgrace when we were there in September - basically a tent with about 4 benches in it and totally disorganised bus service with lots of people getting on the wrong buses delaying all the boarding.

The wacky route to get around the domestic terminal is terrible, and if you're picking up/dropping off a car at Avis, you need to "Use The Force" to find your way in and out as the signage is non-existant amongst all the building and scaffolding randomly placed.

The stadium looked nowhere near finished either, I noticed no hint of urgency as 5 workmen watched one man in a hole with a shovel.
The new domestic terminal at CPT is up and running (apart from the BA lounge, which experienced flooding). The stadium is completed and was handed over to the city in December. Not sure why you thought it was so behind schedule.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:39 pm

The new domestic terminal at CPT is up and running (apart from the BA lounge, which experienced flooding). The stadium is completed and was handed over to the city in December. Not sure why you thought it was so behind schedule.
I will experience the domestic terminal on Tuesday

But when I arrived from JNB it was very easy to find Avis, just 2 min walk from the terminal. Don't know about the rental return location but will find out soon.

The stadium is indeed almost complete, I was told that there are some minor things left, and it is stunning^
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Bad news first - arrivals lounges at JNB has gone.
Oh, this is not good. Do you mean the Sun Intercontinental lounge (outside the terminal in the hotel)? I'm arriving in a few weeks and would dearly like a shower before taking my JNB-DUR connection on SA.

OT: does the SA domestic lounge have showers? I hope so!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Oh, this is not good. Do you mean the Sun Intercontinental lounge (outside the terminal in the hotel)? I'm arriving in a few weeks and would dearly like a shower before taking my JNB-DUR connection on SA.

OT: does the SA domestic lounge have showers? I hope so!
It has been closed for a year already. The SA domestic lounge does indeed have showers though there have been reports of a lack of towels.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:48 am

I just received this e-mail from Special Services CPT:

Dear Mr Lobengula,

The opening of our SLOW Lounge has been delayed due to substantial water damage during the construction of the new Cape Town International terminal. In this period before the SLOW lounge opens, allow us treat you to a refreshment or snack of your choice to the value of R50 before your flight.

For your convenience, below is your voucher which can be printed before your flight.

If you are unable to print this email, our staff will happily arrange a voucher for you at our check in counters or if you have any further queries please contact our Special Services Team on 082 907 0309.

British Airways would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time and as always, our staff will be on hand during this period to help you resolve any travel queries or issues you have.
It doesn't worry me as I will just access the Premier Lounge instead, perk of my Diners Club card
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GfL
It has been closed for a year already.
Good gracious, I guess it has been a while since I last tried to use it! My last two arrivals into SA were at CPT.

The SA domestic lounge does indeed have showers though there have been reports of a lack of towels.
Thanks for that info. I will make sure to snag a few handfuls of napkins from the buffet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.