Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TP Run without Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by thadocta
Why? As long as everyone on board is properly screened prior to boarding, I don't care if they are flying under their real name or not. I NEVER show photo ID prior to Australian domestic flights, I check in on line, PYOBP, show, do a bag drop, go through screening, show BP (no card needed) to get into the lounge, then board the plane, all very civilised, no ID needed.

OBL could be on the flight for all I care, as long as he has been properly screened.
Sometimes countries (and their citizens) like to know who's getting on a plane and arriving into their country. Fugitives from justice and all that sort of thing. Domestically - perhaps a different story.

And whilst you can fly without showing ID domestically within Aus, it can be demanded of you.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Sometimes countries (and their citizens) like to know who's getting on a plane and arriving into their country. Fugitives from justice and all that sort of thing.
That is what passports are for. The OP was asking for a TP run that didn't require a passport. Countries need passports, airlines do NOT need photo ID, except to prevent fraud in cases where passengers sell the return legs to other passengers in order to circumvent fare rules.

The post I was replying to said that it was scary that photo ID was not required, I still state that it was not in the least bit scary for the airline to accept the passenger without photo ID, security of the flight was in no way compromised.

It might have been scary as far as C&I stuff goes, but then, they normally require passports or national identity cards.

And whilst you can fly without showing ID domestically within Aus, it can be demanded of you.
Never had it happen, and that is with six domestic flights this year (and we are only ten days into it) and 27 last year.

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:36 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
I flew TXL-CDG in Sept and required my passport at both ends.
How funny. I have flown dozens of intra-Schengen flights in the past several years and have (almost?) never been asked to show it.

Who checked it when you landed in CDG?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist
It won't help the OP for their urgent TP run, but it is not uncommon to have 2 British passports in you are a British frequent traveller and if you passport spends lots of time in embassies getting visas for here, there & everywhere.

I got mine by providing a short letter from my employer stating the case, and then submitted with a normal UK passport application form. UKPA followed up with a 5 min phone call to me and a separate 5 min phone call to my employer and 2nd passport was issued in a few days. (The 2 passports have different numbers.)

Each time I need to re-new (either due to 10 year expiry, or more likely since it's full) we repeat the above process.

My employer is a multi-national with good reputation, 1000+ staff, blah, blah which may have been relevent.

It's never caused any prob for me when travelling. I once entered the US on consecutive days with different UK passports - same name, DOB, address, fingerprints etc. but nothing happened (their computers are not well linked together...)
You have rallied me into action to finally do the same! Question though: do you have two ESTAs, one for each passport?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by ajax
How funny. I have flown dozens of intra-Schengen flights in the past several years and have (almost?) never been asked to show it.

Who checked it when you landed in CDG?
Are you referring to ID checks or passport checks?

I've always had ID checked at the gate on intra-schengen, but that might just be my choice of airlines (most intra-schengen flights were taken when I used AF-KLM as my primary airline). Even on a MST-AMS domestic flight they were checking ID.

For UK domestics. I've only flown BA with hand luggage and have never been asked for ID at the gate. I regularly check bags on BD domestics and can check-in at a desk with just my diamond club card.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by browserden
Are you referring to ID checks or passport checks?

I've always had ID checked at the gate on intra-schengen, but that might just be my choice of airlines (most intra-schengen flights were taken when I used AF-KLM as my primary airline). Even on a MST-AMS domestic flight they were checking ID.

For UK domestics. I've only flown BA with hand luggage and have never been asked for ID at the gate. I regularly check bags on BD domestics and can check-in at a desk with just my diamond club card.
Well, either really. Or neither.

It has been several years since my ID has been checked by anyone when flying intra-Schengen. If I get my BP from a machine, I don't need to prove my ID to anyone. This includes KLM, LH, LX and AF.

Markie said that his passport was required upon landing in CDG (ex-TXL) so I
was having difficulties picturing who would have checked it - he certainly wouldn't go through passport control in France if arriving from Germany.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you don't mind me asking, how long is it taking to process your visa? I really should get one (B1/B2) but trying to tie it in with their processing times looked iffy.

I have never been to Jersey with my passport on principle. Bergerac and all his mates can get knotted ! Part of the UK so we do not need to show a passport.
I was applying for an H1B visa, it took about 10 days to get the approval notice. Then 2 hours at the embassy to drop off my stuff, I think I spent 45 seconds in total talking to the person.

Passport should be back Tuesday morning
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You have rallied me into action to finally do the same! Question though: do you have two ESTAs, one for each passport?
Yes, I have two ESTA, one for each passport.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have two ESTA, one for each passport.
Ta...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an update. Got (well when the courier arrives) my second passport and it was 99% smooth sailing. I rang the Passport people twice just to double check the docs that I needed to take to the Passport office, and also to make an appointment. The 1% that did not go as smoothly was the supporting letter containing the reason for needing a second passport. Both calls had resulted in the same kind of wording suggestions - when I spoke to the passport examiner (I think that is what he called himself) he said that I should have put the countries on there that I intended to visit, explained to him that I was just following the advice given, he checked with his supervisor and it all went through ok. HTH someone at some stage.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
It won't help the OP for their urgent TP run, but it is not uncommon to have 2 British passports in you are a British frequent traveller and if you passport spends lots of time in embassies getting visas for here, there & everywhere.
Someone I know at one point had three valid passports concurrently. Two with a nationality of "British Citizen" and the third with "British National (Overseas)".
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Do you have that wording more specifically? I need to do the same...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midlevels
Someone I know at one point had three valid passports concurrently. Two with a nationality of "British Citizen" and the third with "British National (Overseas)".
Someone I know has three different passports: UK, NZ, USA.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Do you have that wording more specifically? I need to do the same...
I do, I will shoot it in a PM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by midlevels
I'm not entirely sure how someone could actually concurrently be a British citizen and a BNO (although holding documents that say this is a different matter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.