Canadians Travelling on BA Points

Old Jan 8, 10, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Red face Canadians Travelling on BA Points

This is my first post, and I have been reading the contributions of others for a few weeks - there are some amazing resources on this forum!

I am based out of Western Canada (Kelowna) and am interested in the experiences of other Canadians in terms of redeeming BA points. We have approximately $750000 points, so plenty to travel somewhere exciting (with my husband and daughters 10 and 12 yrs old).

Specifically I'm curious about the experience of others travelling in two ways:

1. North American - do you book AA or Alaska? Any major differences you've seen? Since we live in Kelowna now (bad choice of username , we either can fly Alaska or fly out of YVR (where we often are). With the weather issues in the UK I haven't been through the BA Call Centre, but certainly will explore availability with them!

2. A major family trip to either the far east or Europe next year - while we have plenty of points, we don't have significant experience travelling to "exotic" locales with our kids, so if anyone has a great family trip they've done, I'd love any ideas!

When you redeem through non-OW partners, is redemption based on that airline's mileage program, or is it always BAs chart?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8, 10, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
When you redeem through non-OW partners, is redemption based on that airline's mileage program, or is it always BAs chart?
!
Latter
Old Jan 8, 10, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Welcome to FT.
Old Jan 8, 10, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Alaska or Cathay on BA

Thanks!

As a follow up - talked to BA about a flight to New York this March - there was lots of space both on AS (economy and first) and CX (all levels) - the AS first class redemption is 75K (but straight out of Kelowna) so I think I might go Kelowna-YVR on Avion (15K) then Cathay business class for 50K.

What I have heard is that Cathay's business class is better than Alaska's first - can anyone comment? (I'm taking my daughter to NYC for the first time and thought she would love the upscale travel!)
Old Jan 8, 10, 4:11 pm
eae

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
What I have heard is that Cathay's business class is better than Alaska's first - can anyone comment? (I'm taking my daughter to NYC for the first time and thought she would love the upscale travel!)
Cathay operates with international (long haul) equipment on this route while Alaska operates domestic (short haul) equipment.

International business class is almost always much nicer than domestic first class. In this case in particular, comparing Cathay's business class with Alaskas first class there really is no comparison. Cathay wins hands down in terms of both service and comfort.
Old Jan 8, 10, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Just be aware te CX flights are over/late night. I do believe 888 YVR-JFK leaves YVR around midnight and arrives at JFK early in the morning. The return 889 arrives in YVR at 1a or thereabouts, well after the last flight to YLW for the night has departed YVR.
Old Jan 9, 10, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Experience flying Alaska on points?

Thanks for that, in checking the return that is a bit nasty to try to get home to Kelowna.

What I may do is leave Cathay business class from Van, return AS all the way to Kelowna (unfortunately kills the idea of using AVION since all flights are return with them).

Using AS first class is 3x the miles (since there is nothing between economy and first), wondering if other FFs would recommend using the extra points for AS first class EWR to SEA (it's coach to connect from SEA to Kelowna (while I have tons of points, funny how I'm still frugal with them!)

Search this Thread