Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is Willie Walsh???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Where is Willie Walsh???

With so many people at British Airways working so hard during the past few days and with more snow arriving this weekend I wonder why ww has not been seen at the front of the operation? Has he come out and thanked his staff for the work they are doing?

From a passanger point of view with the long delays and problems in the baggage hall l would have liked to heard from the leader of the company explaining what they are doing.

It is clear to see why so few people like him.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That's a very good question actually.

While he does have an airline to run, he doesn't seem to have been very visible. Any sightings?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
That's a very good question actually.

While he does have an airline to run, he doesn't seem to have been very visible. Any sightings?
He was sighted eventually during the T5 opening debacle which then protracted itself. He is probably doing us all a favour by not being more visible.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Perhaps he's stranded abroad, and can't get a flight back...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Greg66
Perhaps he's stranded abroad, and can't get a flight back...
That we should be so lucky..................
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Perhaps he's doing what he's paid to do and getting on running the Company and not poncing around in front of the TV Cameras like Sir RB!

As a shareholder I'd rather he stayed in Waterside!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by OPebble
Perhaps he's doing what he's paid to do and getting on running the Company and not poncing around in front of the TV Cameras like Sir RB!

As a shareholder I'd rather he'd stayed at Aer Lingus.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by OPebble

I disagree - and nobody said anything about TV cameras. In my experience good managers are those who muck in with frontline staff in times of crisis. That old principle of 'never ask somebody to do something you're not willing to do yourself' comes to mind.

He doesn't have to make a big deal of it in a Branson-esque sort of way, but I bet if he manned customer services desks or something of that ilk it would generate goodwill from all sides...and might make him appreciate even more what those frontline staff have to do.

BAH
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I disagree - and nobody said anything about TV cameras. In my experience good managers are those who muck in with frontline staff in times of crisis. That old principle of 'never ask somebody to do something you're not willing to do yourself' comes to mind.
I agree entirely. Very little goes further to build loyalty among staff.

He doesn't have to make a big deal of it in a Branson-esque sort of way, but I bet if he manned customer services desks or something of that ilk it would generate goodwill from all sides...and might make him appreciate even more what those frontline staff have to do.
I would be really surprised if he even knows how.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by PAUL PALMER
As a shareholder I'd rather he'd stayed at Aer Lingus.
hahahaha
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat
hahahaha
^
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I suspect he's working his a** off with the current weather issues.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by johnny5a
I suspect he's working his a** off with the current weather issues.
hahahaha
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I bet if he manned customer services desks or something of that ilk it would generate goodwill from all sides
Oh come on! You seriously want someone who (I assume) isn't trained on the required systems or processes dealing with a long line of stressed out customers at a time when efficiency is key? I can't think of anything worse, at any worse time, than this! Actually, yes I can - the "BA's CEO Personally Ruined My Holiday" stories which would result. And the "PR Stunt Turns Sour - What Was He Thinking?!" ones which would follow from them. There's a reason I don't go and do jobs I'm not trained for at my company - much like there's a reason others don't try and do my job for me.

I agree in principle though - it'd be good for him (or, rather, the whole management team) to see in person on the ground the issues that arise in these situations and listen to staff feedback on how processes might be improved. And showing his face to be vented at by customers might not be nice for him, but it might help overall - to be fair, he did that during the T5 opening fiasco IIRC so it has been known?

OTOH, perhaps his union prevents him working in any exceptional or unusual ways during times of disruption, even if it makes sense, saves money and he personally wants to?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I want BBC to bring back "Back to the floor" series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.