Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Moaning about the crew & do they have anything to really moan about??

Moaning about the crew & do they have anything to really moan about??

Old Jan 7, 10, 8:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 462
Moaning about the crew & do they have anything to really moan about??

There seems to be alot of moaning about crew on here and it seems largely due to BA crews being unhappy in there work.
But im afraid we really need to speak out here most are well paid considering the time off they get and the CSD's are very well paid - FACT!!!

But compare it to this job - paid about 28K, work earlies, lates and nights, up to 16 hour shifts + travelling to and from home, get sworn at, assaulted, abused, have to concentrate at 3 or 4am, no rest bunks (LOL) or even a break or chance to use the loo some shifts..............need i go on

Has anyone guessed what job it is????

So for the crew that get paid a descent wage, piss most of it up against the wall on layovers and cant even be bothered to pick a bit of rubbish up off the cabin floor - well maybe they need to get real!

RANT ENDS
Speedbirdjclass is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 8:48 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,048
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass View Post
But compare it to this job - paid about 28K, work earlies, lates and nights, up to 16 hour shifts + travelling to and from home, get sworn at, assaulted, abused, have to concentrate at 3 or 4am, no rest bunks (LOL) or even a break or chance to use the loo some shifts..............need i go on

Has anyone guessed what job it is????
Graduate trainee at BA?
Graduate trainee solicitor at a City legal firm?
Sixth Freedom is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:06 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: on cloud 9
Programs: my wings are gold
Posts: 196
Policeman?
Nurse ?
tinkerbell is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:11 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Horsham, UK
Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 363
I thought nurse...but fair point, it's like any walk of life - there are always people that moan. I'm a teacher and those that moan the loudest always do the least work IME...
imt24 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 731
I'm guessing nurse / doctor in the NHS, perhaps A&E?

Without wishing to get into the finer details of the dispute, which I feel sure have been covered in lots of other threads.... I'll discuss just one area

Reduction in crew by 1 person, from 13 to 12 : Well, the team I worked for went from 12 to 6, with everyone left expected to pick up the workload. The ones left behind were the lucky ones as they still had a job. I'll leave the reader to calculate the difference between going from 13-12 and going from 12-6.

Then after that I was forced to take a 12% paycut in a 'take it or leave it' ultimatum.

Then I was told the team I worked for was going to be disbanded anyway, putting me out of a job.

Was unemployed for 6 months before fortunately finding a job which isn't as convenient travel wise but is at least a job, but know people who have been out of work for 13-14 months now, who would love to be at work, but the work just isn't out there.

After seeing all this, it has amazed me how some employees from one company believe that they are completely insulated from the real world.
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mostly London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Posts: 1,307
Sounds like my job (md of a small company)
LHR-HUB is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Posts: 3,472
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
Graduate trainee solicitor at a City legal firm?
Are you kidding? Those little darlings wouldn't get out of bed for that sort of cash....
srbrenna is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:20 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by imt24 View Post
I thought nurse...but fair point, it's like any walk of life - there are always people that moan. I'm a teacher and those that moan the loudest always do the least work IME...
If that's what nurses are paid in the UK they need to come over to the states. In the SF Bay Area they can earn over $100K right out of the gate, there's such a shortage here.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:25 am
  #9  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,944
I assume your school hasn't gone back because of the snow?
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:31 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I assume your school hasn't gone back because of the snow?
Teachers don't do night shifts!

I'll also go nurse or paramedic - but I'm bemused by the 16 hour shift. My sister is a nurse and I don't think has ever worked a 16 hour shift - if she had, I'd have heard about it! And could be junior doctor, but the pay seems a bit low for that.
Jenbel is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 3,459
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass View Post
There seems to be alot of moaning about crew on here and it seems largely due to BA crews being unhappy in there work.
But im afraid we really need to speak out here most are well paid considering the time off they get and the CSD's are very well paid - FACT!!!

But compare it to this job - paid about 28K, work earlies, lates and nights, up to 16 hour shifts + travelling to and from home, get sworn at, assaulted, abused, have to concentrate at 3 or 4am, no rest bunks (LOL) or even a break or chance to use the loo some shifts..............need i go on

Has anyone guessed what job it is????

So for the crew that get paid a descent wage, piss most of it up against the wall on layovers and cant even be bothered to pick a bit of rubbish up off the cabin floor - well maybe they need to get real!

RANT ENDS
Illiterate cretin, perhaps
Disco Volante is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Iver
Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Posts: 2,876
Police person
BA5E is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:43 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brick Lane... much better than smelly Shoreditch!
Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Posts: 807
Originally Posted by BA5E View Post
Police person
Ahhh, but they deserve to be shouted at and abused!

Hehehe

*runs and hides*
Gumbieben is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:44 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, SW15
Programs: BMI & BA
Posts: 2,355
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass View Post
There seems to be alot of moaning about crew on here and it seems largely due to BA crews being unhappy in there work.
But im afraid we really need to speak out here most are well paid considering the time off they get and the CSD's are very well paid - FACT!!!

But compare it to this job - paid about 28K, work earlies, lates and nights, up to 16 hour shifts + travelling to and from home, get sworn at, assaulted, abused, have to concentrate at 3 or 4am, no rest bunks (LOL) or even a break or chance to use the loo some shifts..............need i go on

Has anyone guessed what job it is????

So for the crew that get paid a descent wage, piss most of it up against the wall on layovers and cant even be bothered to pick a bit of rubbish up off the cabin floor - well maybe they need to get real!

RANT ENDS
Police Officer / Paramedic / Nurse
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 9:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London WC2/W1
Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Posts: 6,627
Hooker.
LeisureFirst is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread