Very poor treatment by BA

Old Jan 6, 10, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Thumbs down Very poor treatment by BA

My flight back from NYC Thurs morning was cancelled on Weds morning and I rebooked straight away onto a Thurs evening flight.

Weds evening I was notified that that flight was also cancelled.

After an hour waiting on the phone (I can excuse them that) I was told that although there are seats in higher cabins available on Thurs, Fri and Sat, BA will neither put me in those available seats nor transfer me to another airline. The best they can offer is that I should wait for WT seats which will not be available until Sunday.

No VS flights have been cancelled and I was able to pick up 3 seats in WT+ on Thurs but am now 3,000 out of pocket.

I think that is pretty disgraceful and is going to make me - probably for the 1st time - seriously reconsider my unwavering allegiance to BA. A bad example of short-sighted inflexibility

Very poor show BA !!!
Old Jan 6, 10, 11:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
My flight back from NYC Thurs morning was cancelled on Weds morning and I rebooked straight away onto a Thurs evening flight.

Weds evening I was notified that that flight was also cancelled.

After an hour waiting on the phone (I can excuse them that) I was told that although there are seats in higher cabins available on Thurs, Fri and Sat, BA will neither put me in those available seats nor transfer me to another airline. The best they can offer is that I should wait for WT seats which will not be available until Sunday.

No VS flights have been cancelled and I was able to pick up 3 seats in WT+ on Thurs but am now 3,000 out of pocket.

I think that is pretty disgraceful and is going to make me - probably for the 1st time - seriously reconsider my unwavering allegiance to BA. A bad example of short-sighted inflexibility

Very poor show BA !!!
Dear fellow FlyerTalker, I hear your pain. Just when I tried to check-in for our Thursday flight from JFK to LHR and got a message that check-in was not available, I got an SMS from BA advising me that the flight was canceled (the message ended with a simple "Apologies"). After 50 minutes on the line, I got to a representative who advised me that although there were seats available in First he could not re-book us into First as we have CW tickets. Me pointing out to the fact that these seats will go out empty had no effect. he said that since the cancelation is due to weather we can only re-book into the same cabin on a later date... It is beyond me why they refuse to upgrade pax to accomodate their needs and get them to where they need to be in time. I know AA will always upgrade disrupted pax is seats are available. I will write a big letter to BA and will seriously consider switching to a different alliance. I am just sick and tired defending every BA's move downgrading service, and this refusal to give us seats was just too much.
Old Jan 7, 10, 1:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Let the games begin...
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Conceivable that WT was already oversold with upgrades planned and that the remaining J/F seats were needed for re-accomodation purposes.
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:31 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
jees, I could image this for us measly blue's but as a GOLD, that's not good at all.

Just shows that BA have very strange ways when it comes to customer service / retention.

Seems to me their CS is turning more like FR every day!

How about voucher.... lol
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:35 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
There aren't many F seats on a plane so how would they decide which J passengers should have them?

Also, I assume they need to keep some F seats free on later flights for disrupted F passengers who just happen to be behind you in the 'phone queue...

Edit: I see that the OP is in WT but the principle still applies.
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdj1 View Post
jees, I could image this for us measly blue's but as a GOLD, that's not good at all.
FWIW Class of service seems much more relevant during disruption than FF card. My experience anyhow.
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:38 am

I'd certainly mention to them that under European rules you should be re-routed. I'd avoid the London airports though, ask to be sent to somewhere like MAN, which has got to grips with the snow. Then get a train back to London, which are just about running ok.

Although, unless I had urgent plans back home, I'd certainly relish a few extra days in NYC at BA's expense.
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:42 am

Programs: BA
I thought one of the perques of Gold was the ability to get seats in WT at 24hours notice ?
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:47 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by Motors View Post
I'd certainly relish a few extra days in NYC at BA's expense.
Is it at BA's expense, if the cancelation was due to weather?
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
I guess its not in the gift of a telesales agent to simply upgrade on the basis of a phone call, despite the cancellations. Are you on the waitlist? I imagine you need to be in the system for a flight for the revenue / service / dispatch people to decide how to allocate the space available.

Its not as though those seats will fly empty, even if they don't have any First revenue pax. You just need to find a way to make sure you are on the list for when the re-jigging starts.

Its a pain - but isn't best to just be in their face at the Airport?
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:53 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Cool

Originally Posted by theaxe View Post
There aren't many F seats on a plane so how would they decide which J passengers should have them?
So rather leave them empty?!
Come on, give them to your Gold's Etc.

Also, I assume they need to keep some F seats free on later flights for disrupted F passengers who just happen to be behind you in the 'phone queue...
With over 10 flights a day from JFK/EWR, and most flights operating Ok, how many firsts are left stranded, that you need 12 flights for 3 days to accomodate them, at least tell the passenger he can come to the airport on a standby ticket for first.

I see that the OP is in WT but the principle still applies.
Very sad principle
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malkie View Post
I thought one of the perques of Gold was the ability to get seats in WT at 24hours notice ?
Reservation Assurance is also for Silvers.

But there's a get-out:
Reservation Assurance cannot be guaranteed, as circumstances beyond our control may mean we are unable to offer this service.

So it's a guaranteed seat, except it's a service that's never guaranteed. So basically it's complete useless.
Old Jan 7, 10, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
Apparently so, see the responses to my thread about my flatmates family who are stuck in the Caribbean.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ggestions.html
Old Jan 7, 10, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
Yes - under EU rules. Any cancelation, no matter the cause, leaves the airline responsible for providing meals and hotel. It's only the actual compensation which is limited by the 'extraordinary circumstances' get out clasuse.

Search this Thread