Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it a problem to padlock your suitcase flying to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it a problem to padlock your suitcase flying to USA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by matthewuk
... (although then you have the chicken and egg situation of where to carry something to snip them open at your destination!!)
I find a nail clipper works well - plus it is small and not a security issue.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I've been using TSA approved locks for years and never had a problem (in either direction - touch wood). I've had one occasion where they inspected my bag, as they left a note, but it was left pretty much exactly as I had packed it. I've heard stories that the TSA can be pretty brutal with bags that are locked with anything other than a TSA approved lock.

I've also avoided expensive (looking or actual) luggage, on the basis that it's less likely to be targeted by the casual thief.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I find a nail clipper works well - plus it is small and not a security issue.
I use cable-ties as well, they can also be opened with a lighter/matches .
Just be careful where you do it .

When customs want to search your luggage, and you ask for tools to cut the ties, it's also interesting what serious knives all the agents seem to carrry .
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
OK, I have a question that has bugged me over Christmas. I have an old suitcase with two built in combination locks. This pre-dates TSA approved locks (which were introduced in 2003) by at least five years. Each of the two locks is set to a different combination.

I flew out of San Francisco just before Christmas but accidentally locked my case. The case took a week to catch up with me (weather issues at Heathrow), but when I opened it the TSA search paper was inside. The locks were intact and the combinations unchanged. The search paper was dated and timed for about 30 mins after I checked in.

How did they get it open without breaking the locks?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I have it on good authority that UK customs have some very clever techniques for getting into locked luggage, even with combinations and zips. The person I spoke to couldn't elaborate more (strangely enough), but they thought that the TSA would just take whatever instrument was closest to open the bag (including a Stanley knife by all accounts).

Obviously some of these techniques have made it across the pond.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
OK, I have a question that has bugged me over Christmas. I have an old suitcase with two built in combination locks. This pre-dates TSA approved locks (which were introduced in 2003) by at least five years. Each of the two locks is set to a different combination.

I flew out of San Francisco just before Christmas but accidentally locked my case. The case took a week to catch up with me (weather issues at Heathrow), but when I opened it the TSA search paper was inside. The locks were intact and the combinations unchanged. The search paper was dated and timed for about 30 mins after I checked in.

How did they get it open without breaking the locks?
Flying back from the States, the TSA lock on one of my parents' cases had been removed and replaced with a similar (but different) TSA lock. However the combination was the same as it had been on the missing lock!!! WIERD!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:26 am

Hi,

videos like these show why it really isnt worth locking your case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqO6HkKHqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvSWN3rbSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z87FcZ_Rges

Cheers,
Karen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.