Search

CE Seating on A320 - waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
CE Seating on A320 - waste of money?

Hi BA Forum!

During an upcoming AONE4 in September I will take a separate flight between LHR-VIE return. I was interested to see that the current sale fare has reduced the price by about 40% for CE, however it is still £155 Euro Traveller v £408 Club Europe (263% more). When I reviewed the A320 seat map on Seatguru and Seatexpert they both state that CE only offers an extra 3" of seat pitch (no mention of additional recline). Ignoring the fact you might get slightly better food in CE and some lush bevvies, how can CE cost that much more!?? And that's in a sale as well!

I'm seriously considering just buying an economy fare since I already have status which will allows me to frequent Lounges at either end and access priority checkin. But I just can't see anywhere near enough value in the price differential.

The other thing I noticed was that depending on the biz cabin occupancy, rows 1-8 all have the extra 3" seat pitch (34" total). If I booked well in advance would I have access to request these seats? From memory only BA elites and or biz/first pax are entitled to advance seat selection on BA?

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't know for sure if OWS (I assume you are QF Gold from your name?) are entitled to pre-seat selection, but I think you are. OWEs certainly are. However, bear in mind the seats such as the one just behind CE (A and C, the row without B) are usually not released until around 48 hours (in my experience) prior to the actual flight and so you can't really pre-book them well in advance. If you want that seat, you need to keep your eye on the seating nearer the time of the flight. I don't know if they are available to OWS for pre-booking, either.

I would personally not bother paying £408 for CE for LHR-VIE even though I really don't like travelling in economy class. You do not have anyone sitting in the middle seat in CE, and you get something edible instead of 'birdseed' (which literally looks and tastes like birdseed) but that's about the main benefit for a short flight.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless the cash difference is small change to you (or whoever pays for your flights) or the space is utterly essential, I'd agree the extra is a waste on that route.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Don't forget the CE seat is 2 inches wider than the Economy seat once converted......................
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold
That's an absolutely ridiculous difference on a flight that will be over before you know it!
The only reason I do pay for CE on short-haul European flights is if I need the points to top up my long-haul flying (or if you can find a WAY cheaper connecting fare)
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Buy the economy ticket and then pay the extra £129 or whatever it is each way for the CE upgrade

Alternatively buy the BA Miles and book a return in CE using miles - will be the cheapest option of any and I can't believe there are availability issues for 09/10.

As you have status for lounge access, though, the value of CE is marginal. I would only do it if flying during the breakfast or evening meal periods as the food at other times is a joke anyway.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold_Member
I was interested to see that the current sale fare has reduced the price by about 40% for CE, however it is still £155 Euro Traveller v £408 Club Europe (263% more).
It's not a sale fare, it's the regular R-class fare to VIE.

In answer to your question, is it worth it, it depends entirely on how you value the £251 price difference.

£251 buys you priority check-in, fast track security and lounge access (if you don't have OW status). More importantly, £251 buys you spacious 2-2 seating, a meal, champagne, possibly priority boarding, first off the plane on arrival, TPs and miles. You lose flexibility, as the R class is use-it-or-lose-it, whereas the O class in ET is changeable/upgraedabve for £60. In my book, it's completely worth it. But it depends on whether you can afford to lose the flexibility and it depends on the value to you of £251.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Don't forget the CE seat is 2 inches wider than the Economy seat once converted......................
Yes, you get extra width. No extra pitch though - all the convertible seats are 34" pitch (so you get 34" also in ET as long as you sit far enough forward).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.