is WT+ really that much better than Wt?

Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage
is WT+ really that much better than Wt?

As i sit here preparing to purchase my first ever ticket on BA... and comparing the pros/and cons between the different classes i find myself asking this question. Considering that WT+ is a 600 dollar difference between WT i am now wondering is it REALLY worth it.

Maybe some of you that have flown the different classes can inform me?

Right now the only difference i am seeing is an inch of seat (and really its an inch...not like 5 inches or something) and more leg room (i'm short sooo i dont think that will bother me).. and more baggage allowance (which in it self is not a deal breaker if i am only taking 2 bags). considering that i will be flying for almost 9 hours maybe the extra "preks" would be worth it but i am starting to doubt it lol.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
I thought it was more like 5-7 inches more.
Which would make quite a difference.

Whether that is worth the extra cost only you can decide.
If you have the cash to pay for it and won't miss that money on vacation go for it... if that cash would get you some fantastic extra experiences which would make a long haul flight in Economy worth it, then don't.

I'd have posted quicker... but I've been self-moderating the 'extra inches make all the difference' comments I was going to make.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by nmanda
As i sit here preparing to purchase my first ever ticket on BA... and comparing the pros/and cons between the different classes i find myself asking this question. Considering that WT+ is a 600 dollar difference between WT i am now wondering is it REALLY worth it.

Maybe some of you that have flown the different classes can inform me?

Right now the only difference i am seeing is an inch of seat (and really its an inch...not like 5 inches or something) and more leg room (i'm short sooo i dont think that will bother me).. and more baggage allowance (which in it self is not a deal breaker if i am only taking 2 bags). considering that i will be flying for almost 9 hours maybe the extra "preks" would be worth it but i am starting to doubt it lol.

I don't know where you're getting the numbers from but WT+ is 6-7" more pitch, plus it's only 8 wide instead of 9 on a 777 or 10 on a 747. Plus you get a DC power outlet to run a PC.

What is your $600 on top of? If you do the math you rent something like 35-40% more real estate for your dollars so IMO it's basically worth in the region of 50% more than regular coach / economy because the service is essentially the same.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If WT is completely packed, then the respite of the five or so rows of segregated WTP may well be worth it alone.

Seat pitch is 38" compared to 31" in WT, the seats have slightly more recline and are slightly wider with a footrest, you get a newspaper, wine in a real glass and get served before the WT lot (although the food is the same). Seating configuration is 2-4-2, as opposed to 3-4-3 on the 747 and 3-3-3 on the 777.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bernardd
I don't know where you're getting the numbers from but WT+ is 6-7" more pitch, plus it's only 8 wide instead of 9 on a 777 or 10 on a 747.
Regarding her mention of 'an inch', I believe she is talking about the seat width, not seat pitch, as she mentions "and more leg room".

Plus you get a DC power outlet to run a PC.
But don't you usually need an EmPower adapter in WT+?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

i don't know anymore lol...

this is a move to another country so i am sure the extra cash will come in handy while i get things set up..but also i will admit the seats in WT+ does look a bit more comfy... so i am at an stand still lol which i will be making a decision in the next few hours

i never fly... so i wouldnt know if an inch or two makes all the difference.. but i guess i am about to find out

oh i was getting my numbers from seatguru.com

which says seat width is 17.5 inches on WT and 18.5 inches on WT+ (hence the one inch more)

i know pitch is 6 or 7 inches

and 600 more is from the quote that BA.com gave me when i prices my tickets
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The main reason to book WT+ is to upgrade via MFU to CW !
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
i never fly... so i wouldnt know if an inch or two makes all the difference.. but i guess i am about to find out
On a 9 hour flight, then the extra 7" of legroom makes all the difference (it is not merely a couple more inches) - if you fly infrequently, spend the cash on WTP if you have it. Plus, there is the slim chance that if you're in WTP you may get upgraded to Club World if the flight is overbooked.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
No, not really worth it. The seat cushioning (very important wrt comfort) is still lousy and the recline is very limited. It is really WT+, not J--. IMHO only worth it if you are very tall.

Originally Posted by Rambuster
And what he said...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
i don't know anymore lol...

this is a move to another country so i am sure the extra cash will come in handy while i get things set up..but also i will admit the seats in WT+ does look a bit more comfy... so i am at an stand still lol which i will be making a decision in the next few hours

If you are really short and narrow, then it might not make a lot of difference in terms of the space into which to fit in, but extra recline and extra baggage allowance may come in handy.

However, whether that is worth $600 is something only you can decide.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster

since this will be my first flight ever with BA i dont have any Miles to upgrade... i am just a lonely blue member lol
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:27 pm

nmanda -

Belated welcome to FT!

I think WTP is worth it if it is either (a) only slightly more expensive than WT (the last WTP ticket I bought was actually cheaper than the cheapest available WT!), or (b) I know that I will be able to MFU. That said, I am 6'3" and the 31" pitch of BA's Y is tight for me for any significant amount of time.

If you want an upgraded experience but definitely cannot afford to upgrade to business class (either through cash or miles), may I suggest trying Virgin Atlantic's Premium Economy? It's often priced identical to WTP (though not always, so make sure you shop), and offers a better seat IMHO as well as a more differentiated catering service. Depending on where you are headed, NZ and QF also offer premium economy products.

Bottom line: if you think you will be comfortable in a standard economy seat for 9 hours (based on other flights you have taken), save the money as the only real perk of WTP is the additional space. I know that for 9 hours I would struggle in economy so would seriously consider WTP or PE. That said, $600 extra is probably more than I would pay for the added benefit of WTP unless I could absolutely upgrade to Club.

Edited to add: you can also save a good amount of money by instead of booking WTP, paying (I think it's $75 now?) to select an exit or bulkhead seat in standard economy.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:45 pm

Is that $600 for the entire return trip? If not, forget it completely!

Assuming its for a two way trip, I still probably wouldn't bother. Thats a lot of money for not very much. Depends if you've got money to burn.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
WT+ is also great if you're on a 747 with the individual seats right at the front of the WT+ section and by the exit row where you have more leg room than anywhere else on the plane. If only those seats could lie flat, they would be the best seats on the plane.

Unfortunately, I believe BA don't have many of these 747 70 Bus.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't pay $600 extra for a extra few inches and the chance of raiding the CW kitchen........

Nine hours in economy is survivable if prepared properly, comfy clothes,take along some of your favourite nibbles and a small camping pillow.
Book economy and you may be offered a cheap upgrade to WT+ nearer the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.