Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Things improving for BA? but 777s proving problematic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I've just had reason to book a LHR->JFK->LHR at 7 days notice for outbound (9 days for inbound). The flights seem busy across the board - with the following evidence

- had to get J class both ways (typically has been "C" at this notice period, I think?)
- waitlisted for inbound
- when waitlisting changed to confirmed, seat selection on the 777 inbound already very limited - could /only/ choose from the dreaded "double bed" seats E/F.

A few colleagues going back and forth across the Atlantic have had busy runs recently too. So, as a shareholder, should I be pleased that things are picking up? Or is this meagre evidence just a localized blip? To phrase things another way, have BA over-done things by putting as many 777s as they have on this route?

Also I see that the LCY flight, which I'd love to take, DOES have C availablity, but my travel policy has blocked me from it on the grounds that it is a higher class than Business!

I am getting the first flight of the evening back - BA112 - does anyone know if this one tends to be early, late or neither?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
777s are much more fuel efficient than the 747 so they make economic sense.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
777s are much more fuel efficient than the 747 so they make economic sense.
Is the ratio of CW/F seats to WT/WTP seats the same or lower on the 777 compared to 747?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by pcb21
Or is this meagre evidence just a localized blip?

If you're looking at Dec 16-20th I'm not surprised - some of the flights look very full during the run up to Christmas.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
For me this is a big issue. Whereas I used to travel on the UD of a 747 on my monthly trip to JFK, I now am looking at the 777 dormitory and, because non-status pax are able to "buy" the best seats I am struggling to get a window seat. For me the experience has been significantly devalued.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Lolbert
For me this is a big issue. Whereas I used to travel on the UD of a 747 on my monthly trip to JFK, I now am looking at the 777 dormitory and, because non-status pax are able to "buy" the best seats I am struggling to get a window seat. For me the experience has been significantly devalued.
How do you know that it is non status pax buying the seats and not just other status pax beating you to them, esp as evidence from those trying to buy the seats suggests that there are very few 'best seats' to buy and that people inside have that very few seats are actually being sold?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:48 am

I booked my ticket 4 weeks out and all window/aisle pairs were booked on the both the outbound and inbound flights. This can't just be status pax.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I booked my ticket 4 weeks out and all window/aisle pairs were booked on the both the outbound and inbound flights. This can't just be status pax.
It could be - I would put money on most (70-80%) pax in J on LON-JFK having some sort of status; and furthermore, the AB JK seats are only half of the cabin.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I wouldn't be surprised, it only takes 24 status pax to do it, really not that many at all, esp around Xmas, when many may be taking a wife over for Xmas shopping too.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:36 am
Original Poster

There are lots of things changing all at once (economic climate, seating policy and aircraft type) it is difficult to determine cause and effect.

However in my case the 747 flight has 32 of 70 CW seats assigned at T-6 days - this will be a "normal" full flight. The 777 flight has 36 of 48 CW seats assigned and is no longer offered for sale on ba.com at T-8 days. This flight will have upgrades, downgrades, bump-offs, the works. Enough to make me be sure to OLCI in good time! The main difference it seemed to me to be the aircraft change, hence my original query.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I booked LHR-EWR JFK-LHR back in September for this week and got one of 3 remaining pairs of window seats on the 777, and the last 2 remaining UD seats returning (61A/B). I bought these pair for Ł900 then MFU'd ^

Both flights are pretty much full as of last week with only a few seats remaining on the seat map. Infact, you cant even buy tickets on BA.com except out of LCY now.

For me, this is great news for BA, and I dont believe it is people forking out for reserving their seats either - the UD fullness shows that.

News released today shows a 13% increase in traffic to London from the middle/far east for BA which providing all seats werent sold through a fire-sale, is also great news.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:50 am

Should I be happy or worried?

Just tried to OLCI for my flight to JFK tomorrow. Despite having previously reserved a seat the system won't let me check in. Travel agent thinks it's because I've been upgraded to F. Hope he's right!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Took a 777 last week in J and there is NO comparison with J on a 747

747 (ud) wins hands down
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:48 am

No consolation when all flights bar one to JFK are 777s now!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Just tried to OLCI for my flight to JFK tomorrow. Despite having previously reserved a seat the system won't let me check in. Travel agent thinks it's because I've been upgraded to F. Hope he's right!
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.