First timer : Concorde room question(s)

Old Oct 26, 09, 4:29 pm
sew
Original Poster

First timer : Concorde room question(s)

Hi

Shortly going to be flying First (for the first time) and had a couple of questions....

1. Can one access the shops/retail areas from the Concorde room? (wife does like to see what's what!)
2. The food offer seems very formal...is the food complimentary or is there a charge?

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 26, 09, 4:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF Club 2000
Originally Posted by sew View Post
is the food complimentary or is there a charge?
Please, lets not go that far

You can easily get in and out of the CCR to the T5 shops.

The dining room is as formal as it gets, and that's hardly what I would call 'formal', but if you want to lounge on a sofa inside or on the terrace, or in a Cabana, you can choose to have things from the menu brought to you there.

Enjoy ^
Old Oct 26, 09, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Keep your First ticket with you and you can walk in and out as much as you want if you're visiting shops.

Food is free, the burger is very nice. Actually, I quite like all the dishes I had at the dining area of the Concorde lounge.
Old Oct 26, 09, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by sew View Post
Hi
1. Can one access the shops/retail areas from the Concorde room? (wife does like to see what's what!)
2. The food offer seems very formal...is the food complimentary or is there a charge?
The Concorde Room is located airside within the Southern Galleries lounge complex. Take the 'magic white door' to the right after passing through Fast Track security south, which will bring you straight into the CCR. To the left is the main lounge, to the right are the washrooms and cabanas. Straight ahead is the exit out to the other two southern lounges (Galleries First on the same level and Galleries Club up one level). You can exit and enter as many times as you like into the public area of the terminal.

You have paid to fly F, so of course everything in the lounge is free. Well, you can't take the furniture away, but everything consumable is free! The Concorde Dining area is not particularly formal, it has quite a relaxed atmosphere (mainly due to the slowness of the waiting staff).

Enjoy your first First, and in the meantime take a read of some trip reports to get you in the mood, starting off with this one; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-part-1-a.html

Don't expect too much, and you will enjoy it immensely. ^

Last edited by Genius1; Oct 26, 09 at 4:53 pm Reason: Spelling.
Old Oct 26, 09, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Keep your First ticket with you and you can walk in and out as much as you want if you're visiting shops.

Food is free, the burger is very nice. Actually, I quite like all the dishes I had at the dining area of the Concorde lounge.
Agreed, although somewhat on the small side, so i ordered 2.

Old Oct 26, 09, 5:06 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post

The dining room is as formal as it gets, and that's hardly what I would call 'formal', but if you want to lounge on a sofa inside or on the terrace, or in a Cabana, you can choose to have things from the menu brought to you there.
I don't really like the dining room, the walls around each table are too high so it's too private and you don't see other people dining. The NY CR dining area is more open.
Old Oct 26, 09, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I don't really like the dining room, the walls around each table are too high so it's too private and you don't see other people dining. The NY CR dining area is more open.
I actually like the privacy the high walls give....especially with the wife's eating habits. It does add a touch of something to the place unlike the QF F lounge which resembles a works canteen.
Old Oct 26, 09, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I actually like the privacy the high walls give
It must help, especially when the raw sausage comes out.
Old Oct 26, 09, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Go early enough to enjoy the experience. Try out the different areas (restaurant, bar, terrace etc). It truly is a great experience within a tranquil setting and sets the scene for a first time in FIRST flight.

We also visited GF - though we had to argue our way in as the lady checking tickets insisted that the Concorde Lounge would be much nicer for us! In hindsight it was worth the visit though we should not have stayed there for lunch when we could have had better next door.
Old Oct 27, 09, 12:49 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
A good and helpful summary, Genius1.

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
The Concorde Dining area is not particularly formal, it has quite a relaxed atmosphere (mainly due to the slowness of the waiting staff).
Made me laugh, although not sure why as this is often true!

I have found the secluded nature means that one may be forgotten by the staff, which is frustrating when another glass of Bollinger is required. Perhaps they should have those buzzers on the table that I have seen in one or two places.
Old Oct 27, 09, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
It does add a touch of something to the place unlike the QF F lounge which resembles a works canteen.
But the food certainly doesn't,I like sitting at the bar in SYD watching the action in a real kitchen.
Old Oct 27, 09, 5:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by lancefan View Post
Agreed, although somewhat on the small side, so i ordered 2.

Wot no chips?!
Old Oct 27, 09, 8:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jaguarpig View Post
But the food certainly doesn't,I like sitting at the bar in SYD watching the action in a real kitchen.
The menu actually did resembles a works canteen (although much less nice than some work canteen I've seen!) for a bit, but they seem to have gone back to being good again. I don't think rabbit and quail terrine would be on the menu at most canteens.
Old Oct 27, 09, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Wot no chips?!
My thoughts exactly. How one can have a burger with no chips I do not know. Is there some safety rule which forbids deep frying in kitchens airside?
Old Oct 27, 09, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
My thoughts exactly. How one can have a burger with no chips I do not know. Is there some safety rule which forbids deep frying in kitchens airside?
Sadly, yes. No naked fames (i.e. electric cookers only) or fryers allowed at T5 - mad, but true!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: