Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by StevieJ
Unions make me angry; why are they so stupid as to look to strike when their company, and the economy, are both in a fragile state? All I care about is my own travel plans and possible disruption. I don't care about BA or their staff in respect of what they do - only if it affects me personally and my plans.
Unions are not necessarily stupid but they have a duty to protect the interests of their members. I think people forget that if it wasn't for unions then employers would ride roughshod all over their workers given half a chance. Unions allow workers to have a collective voice and bargain as an equal with their employer.

I speak as a non-union member.

I agree some unions aren't ideal but, as others have said, if you're already living on the breadline and being asked to take (in effect) a cut in salary then the view may well be 'what have I got to lose ?'. For most people on FT I'd suggest they may not understand this but cabin crew are not that well paid. Whether the salary is a fair one is not really relevant - if they can't afford a basic standard of living then something, somewhere, is wrong.

I loved this quote from StevieJ who berates (indirectly) the union and staff for their apparently selfish behaviour and then goes on to demonstrate a totally selfish view of his own. Priceless.

BAH
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:56 am

1) Take bird feed off European Flights
2) Long Haul flights cut backs are beyond a joke. Soon no food will be left

Biggest one:: Get rid of Willie Walsh. Majority of people in BA have no time for this clown. He killed one airline and now wants to do it to BA.

Where is Walsh today? In Las Vegas. Why should he have had 1st class on the service yesterday?? Is he to important for CW?? Maybe I should call him and ask if he will provide 1st for my Vegas flight and I pay CW.

Put a real people person as the CEO and the staff would be happy. You also have to look at the agreement which the flight deck got which included shares for a cut back and what the crew are getting.

Remember 3 1st class returns a year is more than what alot of the people earn in a year who serve us!!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
For those of us keeping score, but not quite getting the intricacies of BA union politics, who is balloting here?

BASSA or the other lot?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
According to this site it is Unite.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091026...t-6323e80.html

Edited to add: And although it doesn't mention it in the body of the BBC article it does mention a quote from a Unite offical in the photo credit.

Excellent journalism.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
For those of us keeping score, but not quite getting the intricacies of BA union politics, who is balloting here?

BASSA or the other lot?
It is my understanding that it is both CC unions who are balloting members.
(I stand to be corrected though).
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Moomba
According to this site it is Unite.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091026...t-6323e80.html
Who represent both BASSA and CC89
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Unions are not necessarily stupid but they have a duty to protect the interests of their members. I think people forget that if it wasn't for unions then employers would ride roughshod all over their workers given half a chance. Unions allow workers to have a collective voice and bargain as an equal with their employer.

I speak as a non-union member.

I agree some unions aren't ideal but, as others have said, if you're already living on the breadline and being asked to take (in effect) a cut in salary then the view may well be 'what have I got to lose ?'. For most people on FT I'd suggest they may not understand this but cabin crew are not that well paid. Whether the salary is a fair one is not really relevant - if they can't afford a basic standard of living then something, somewhere, is wrong.

I loved this quote from StevieJ who berates (indirectly) the union and staff for their apparently selfish behaviour and then goes on to demonstrate a totally selfish view of his own. Priceless.

BAH
Well put. ^
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Jenbel
... who is balloting here?
Unite, according to the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8325917.stm

ETA: Gulp! Overtaken on the home stretch.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

BAH
To be fair to him, I don't think he was calling them selfish, just stupid and while he could have perhaps phrased it in a more elegant manner, his views will be similar to those held by 99% of the people who will be buying BA tickets, including me.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA's problem, fundamentally, is not their fault. Its long history, and the mergers that put it together, have brought together a large number of people under different contracts and conditions, most of which were drawn up in a different time.

(I am actually a beneficiary of this in my own job. I get £20k a year paid into my pension scheme because it is an inherited right from my old employer when we got absorbed into a new company. A new employee doing my job would get £0 paid into their pension by the company.)

Unfortunately for BA, there are now large numbers of new airlines in the UK (VS, EZ, FR etc etc) who hired their staff in different economic times and do not have massive pension liabilities or staff on contracts with overtly-generous (by current norms) pay schemes or perks. And, until their is a massive movement towards those levels, the company will continue to struggle. No-one likes it, but there it is.

Some of the more extreme stories you hear about union issues also make you think that the crew do not help themselves. Is it really true that the reason there are no hot towels in WT+ is that the union told BA it wouldn't be acceptable as it resulted in extra work for the crew? I imagine there are 100 more stories like this.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
To be fair to him, I don't think he was calling them selfish, just stupid and while he could have perhaps phrased it in a more elegant manner, his views will be similar to those held by 99% of the people who will be buying BA tickets, including me.
In other words

"I'm alright Jack" ?

BAH
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

BAH
I disagree with your assessment. Surely this is the normal reaction of any customer to the failure of a supplier to deliver an agreed service?

If the staff in a supplier of services I am considering buying goes on strike, I am far more likely to be concerned about the impact is has on me than the reasons for the strike being called.

If an alternative supplier can be found, then I will use them. What's so wrong with that?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:22 am

[Mod hat]
Can we remember to address the post, not the poster?

Ta
[/mod hat]
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I disagree with your assessment. Surely this is the normal reaction of any customer to the failure of a supplier to deliver an agreed service?

If the staff in a supplier of services I am considering buying goes on strike, I am far more likely to be concerned about the impact is has on me than the reasons for the strike being called.

If an alternative supplier can be found, then I will use them. What's so wrong with that?
Because I would hope (foolishly, it seems) that people MIGHT be willing to look beyond what affects them personally and see what might be called 'the bigger picture'.

I agree that if your chosen supplier is likely to fail to deliver your chosen service you should make alternatives (and nowhere did I say you shouldn't), but to berate the people who supply the service and call them 'stupid' just because they aren't doing what you, personally, want ? Even though they might have a perfectly good reason for doing it ? The logical extension of not doing this (ie never taking any form of industrial action or protest) is that any worker will accept anything that their employer asks (or tells) them to do.

BAH

Last edited by BAHumbug; Oct 26, 2009 at 10:27 am Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
(I am actually a beneficiary of this in my own job. I get £20k a year paid into my pension scheme because it is an inherited right from my old employer when we got absorbed into a new company. A new employee doing my job would get £0 paid into their pension by the company.)

Unfortunately for BA, there are now large numbers of new airlines in the UK (VS, EZ, FR etc etc) who hired their staff in different economic times and do not have massive pension liabilities or staff on contracts with overtly-generous (by current norms) pay schemes or perks. And, until their is a massive movement towards those levels, the company will continue to struggle. No-one likes it, but there it is.

Some of the more extreme stories you hear about union issues also make you think that the crew do not help themselves. Is it really true that the reason there are no hot towels in WT+ is that the union told BA it wouldn't be acceptable as it resulted in extra work for the crew? I imagine there are 100 more stories like this.
You've been extremely lucky then . IIRC under present TUPE you could have kissed goodbye to the £20k a Year going into your pension pot.
I would hate to comment on the eroding of T&C's of someone earning £20k a Year , when in reality my own pension fund is being topped up by that amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.