Business redemption flight HKG-WestCoast

Old Oct 17, 09, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Iberia+
Business redemption flight HKG-WestCoast

I am trying to find a direct one-way redemption flight in Business on any CX metal, from HKG to any west-coast America hub (SFO, LAX or YVR) anytime between 19-30 July 2010. Quite a broad search, right?

Well, I didn't think it would be this hard, but it seems the broader the search criteria the longer it takes... (not to state the obvious or anything, but normally with these things, since I'm not being particularly fussy about what flight I take, where or when, I thought it would help... but alas!)

I have spent ages on BA's search facility and have got, errr, nowhere. Is there any better way of searching for redemption availability other than the arduous process of different screens: enter origin/destination, stopovers?, BA doesn't fly - try partners, partners have no availability, search 7 days in advance, only flight available via Timbuktu, blah blah...

...And can anyone help me find a flight? PPpplllease!

Jas starts singing... "Help, somebody; Help, anybody...!"

Ps, for a first thing on a Saturday morning, singing in my home is a sign of severe desperation

Last edited by jaslocombe; Oct 17, 09 at 4:04 am
Old Oct 17, 09, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Perhaps the problem is as simple as there just isn't any current availability on what you're looking for.

If you're a bit more flexible on carrier or don't mind a connection, it looks to me like the problem goes away.
Old Oct 17, 09, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You might also find that there is availability in first when there is no availability in business. Assuming you have the miles of course.
Old Oct 17, 09, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Use the Cathay Pacific site, the award they show at AsiaMiles will match the availability that BA has. I find the BA.com partner search functionality really clunky...
Old Oct 17, 09, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Wow. Nothing. I imagine seats will open up, but no business or first HKG-LAX/SFO/YVR July 19-30. In fact, there's only a smattering of coach award seats open on the later afternoon HKG-SFO flight.
Old Oct 17, 09, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff View Post
Use the Cathay Pacific site, the award they show at AsiaMiles will match the availability that BA has.
How do I do this? Do I need to join The Marco Polo Club and pay the 50$fee? I have an Asia Miles account... do you have a link to search for availability?
Old Oct 17, 09, 1:59 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Wow. Nothing. I imagine seats will open up, but no business or first HKG-LAX/SFO/YVR July 19-30. In fact, there's only a smattering of coach award seats open on the later afternoon HKG-SFO flight.
Indeed, this is pretty much the best award availability scenario across the date range in question:

[KVS Availability Tool 5.1.2/Diamond - CUPID: Awards-Upgrades/CX/Awards]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Int'l HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
TUE  20 Jul 2010 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
CX         870     HKG   14:10     SFO   11:35     744  0   FS- CS- YS-
CX         872     HKG   16:25     SFO   13:50     744  0   FS- CS- YS+
Old Oct 17, 09, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaslocombe View Post
How do I do this? Do I need to join The Marco Polo Club and pay the 50$fee? I have an Asia Miles account... do you have a link to search for availability?
just go to the asiamiles website and search for availability, no marco polo club membershp required
Old Oct 17, 09, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Nothing. I imagine seats will open up, but no business or first HKG-LAX/SFO/YVR July 19-30. In fact, there's only a smattering of coach award seats open on the later afternoon HKG-SFO flight
So this is unusual then? I did think 9 months ahead was a good amount of time to get some reward flights... or should I have booked these 11 months ahead?
Old Oct 17, 09, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaslocombe View Post
So this is unusual then? I did think 9 months ahead was a good amount of time to get some reward flights... or should I have booked these 11 months ahead?
It's a myth that the farther in advance you book the better your shot at an award.

Airlines don't just load award inventory when they load the schedule and let it ride. Some flights have inventory at beginning of schedule for awards, some do not. And each airline has their own approach to releasing seats at time progresses.

Roughly speaking airlines want to give for points those seats they won't otherwise sell for money. And their knowledge of which seats those are gets better as time progresses towards the actual flight, so they make continuous decisions about releasing seats as the flight approaches. Some airlines release seats at 6 months or 3 months or 2 weeks or any time in between.

The flights in question may never have had first class or business class award inventory, or they may have had a couple of seats and those are gone -- either because someone took them or because the airline pulled the inventory, hoping to sell the seats.

But that doesn't mean there won't be award seats available in the future!

Just keep checking..

Search this Thread