Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-HKG BA or CX?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by atakam
Is it possible as OW Emerald to use the Concorde Room?
No. The CCR is only for passengers ticketed in or upgraded to first class.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by atakam
Thank you everybody for the useful info!^

I am inclined to take BA on this trip...next week will fly CX from HKG-JFK. So since I haven't been able to fly C on BA this will be a good opportunity to compare both airlines.
I booked an upper deck rear facing window seat on BA. Hopefully is not crampy to access the aisle. On CX this is not a problem, since they have only one row on each side in the UD.
Regarding departure time, both depart at almost the same time, so no difference on this variable.

As OW Emerald I always use CX F lounge in HKG, which is quite good. Should I use T5 BA lounge? Is it possible as OW Emerald to use the Concorde Room?
Hi atakam,

The Concorde Room in T5 is for BA First class passengers only ( OW Emerald and BA gold do not get access)

However you CAN use the Galleries First lounge (same level as the CCR) which is excellent with a dining area,( self service and a waitrer/waitress served menu, champagne bar, wine bar, a balcony, a pc area with lots of pc's)

You can also book a spa treatment at the Elemis spa.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AGSF
I believe this is not correct, and that you need status PLUS a oneworld boarding pass to access another OW lounge other than the lounge of the airline you are flying.
There is an ambiguity (possibly deliberate) in the information on the oneworld website that Genius1 has linked to. So you may be technically correct, or Genius1 may be technically correct.

But there are consistent reports that in practice CX allows access to the Wing and the Pier to BA premium cabin passengers without OW status, merely on presentation of a BP.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LH/LX
Many people think lounge is so important in taking a decision on which airline to fly. Sometime I think why we think this way !!! We spend only 1 hour in the lounge prior to departure, howerver, we are stuck up in the air for almost 14 hours on the airline seat
What you quoted from my reply was taken out of context, and I provided several other reasons why I would prefer BA.

I tend to spend a fair amount of time in the lounges, usually 4 hours or so, because I like to. The lounges are part of the experience, and where onboard products are similar, the lounges can be used for differentiation. But sure, the lounges should not be the sole deciding factor.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if I could get one of the preferred Club seats (64K, 14K etc) I'd go BA. If I was stuck with my usual crappy selection of LD aisles and middles the layout on CX would look quite appealing. Recent experience is that there is little to call on the food and drink front between the two. CX service has also become increasingly patchy. Still some utterly fantastic crews, and some less so.

FWIW, CX would be the obvious choice in F.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, CX MPC SL
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
It is a no brainer that the BA NGCW seat wins hands down versus CX's new herringbone. As a matter of fact it is not even close. You'd get superior comfort with better cushion and much less clausterphobia. Of all the new J seats (those introduced within the last 3 years) I have flown in the NGCW ranks 2nd in my favorites just behind SQ's. And among the four herringbone desgins I have flown on (NZ, AC, VS, CX), I find the CX one to be worst. So CX's new J seat doesn't even rank in my top 5 favorites.

CX wins with Chinese food but BA wins with western meals. CX's western meals has been nothing but a disgrace in both J and F the last 2 years that as a regular flyer with the carrier, I have stopped ordering western choices off the menu from them recently. Sevices on CX J used to be top notch. But my last few has been inconsistent that a BA J crew can beat them on several occassions.

So I would take BA J over CX J.

I really would agree with Rejuvenated - trust him, his advice is good. Personally, NGCW wins hands down too - and i've flown your exact route/flight as well from LHR to HKG. The food is much much better than CX any day, and you actually feel like you're travelling in a spacious premium cabin and comfortable seat, unlike the new CX seats. I'm not a big person at all, and I'm quite slim but I find it hard to squeeze into the CX seats. You can't even yawn and stretch without your hands banging on both sides of the wall.

But if you like food in business class, DON'T go with CX.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
if I could get one of the preferred Club seats (64K, 14K etc) I'd go BA. If I was stuck with my usual crappy selection of LD aisles and middles the layout on CX would look quite appealing.
This would be a crucial consideration for me as well. I like both BA and CX, including their C seats. I agree with others that BA is more spacious, or at least feels that way. But with CX you don't have to climb over anyone to access the aisle, or vice versa, from any of its C seats. With BA that's only the case with a handful of seats that are identified on seatguru.com or seatexpert.com. I'd check out those sites and then see if you could bag such seats. If you can't get those choice BA seats, my slight preference would be CX because of the easy aisle access and because I'm comfortable enough in its seats even though I'm a big guy, 6'2", fairly broad-shouldered.

If you're definitely committed to BA, though, and can't get one of the choice seats, I'd recommend a window seat in any event. For either airline, I'd highly recommend upper deck, which has a more private feel to it. And if you end up back on CX (or fly it JFK-HKG), shoot for whichever A seat upstairs (either 80 or 81--I forget) is farthest forward. It has some extra storage. (The furthest forward seat on the other side of the aisle is reserved for pilots as a rest seat.)

One additional consideration is that as others have noted CX food is surprisingly poor. I don't care that much about food on flights generally and it wouldn't affect my choice. But if it's important to you, then you might be better off on BA.

Finally--and again, I don't prioritize this but just in case you do--I believe the IFE on CX is better. But I haven't flown BA C in more than a year so perhaps my recollection of its IFE is wrong.

Either way, in the end, you'll have a good flight. Happy trails!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.