FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   5/6 hours to kill in T4 LHR on our way to Syd (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1006561-5-6-hours-kill-t4-lhr-our-way-syd.html)

irish mark Oct 16, 2009 7:57 am

5/6 hours to kill in T4 LHR on our way to Syd

hi guys

havent flown ex lhr in years and have never flown Ba club; flying out of t4 next thursday evening to sydney via bkk. We have 5/6 hours to kill in LHR as our inbound flight from Dub (on EI) is on a seperate PNR and we have to check in etc and wanted to leave ourselves enought time "just in case".

Any suggestions on what to do for 5/6 hours in lhr?; I assume the BA lounges in T4 arent great/quite old? Any nice places to eat etc?

any other usefull hints/tips. I have no status with BA

thanks in advance;

mark

bjorns Oct 16, 2009 8:16 am

Seeing that you're flying just a week before BA/QA finally move from T4 to T3, I'd expect they're probably winding down their opperations at T4.

As far as I know, there is now only one BA lounge left at T4, so don't expect much.

bjorns

awestphal Oct 16, 2009 9:18 am

The T4 OW lounge is quite old; but the champagne is quite fresh. However, I'd think they'd have decent food out. Starting an hour before boarding, it can get rather crowded.

No view of the runways from the lounge, though.

5-6 h in T4 OW lounge would get boring after a while. There really is not a lot to do in T4 entertainment wise. Plus, T4 is - ahem - under construction. It has lost its luster from the old days.

FlyerTalker6245 Oct 16, 2009 9:36 am

Something I would like to point out to the OP is that BA from T4 will be nothing like the experience you would get if you ever come to give BA a go from T5.

But it's still BA:D

xxxxx Oct 16, 2009 9:40 am

Originally Posted by awestphal (Post 12656822)
5-6 h in T4 OW lounge would get boring after a while. There really is not a lot to do in T4 entertainment wise. Plus, T4 is - ahem - under construction. It has lost its luster from the old days.

Construction T4 landside is now nearly complete with all zones open except H I think. It is actually hard to believe that it's the same terminal actually becuase it's beautiful, there's so much space (they've almost doubled the size of check in) and natural light. There's a really nice public space ouside the front of the terminal and a Cafe Rouge in the check in area.

Sixth Freedom Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 12656943)
it's beautiful, there's so much space ... and natural light.

:eek:

So why did BA not demand an improvement to the atmosphere when they were the main tenant? :confused::td:

bjorns Oct 16, 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 12657031)

So why did BA not improve the atmosphere when they were the main tenant? :confused::td:

Because BA don't own the terminal, BAA do and they're the ones doing the LHR refurbs at the moment.

You'll need to ask BAA why they didn't do it sooner.

bjorns

adrianjc32 Oct 16, 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 12656943)
Construction T4 landside is now nearly complete with all zones open except H I think. It is actually hard to believe that it's the same terminal actually becuase it's beautiful, there's so much space (they've almost doubled the size of check in) and natural light. There's a really nice public space ouside the front of the terminal and a Cafe Rouge in the check in area.

It is stunning, however the carriers that are moving across there are the ones that tend to have a passenger profile of people who have not got a clue, so it wont last! No matter how lovely it looks it will soon look like the worst of the old days in T3. Fortunately the carriers that are moving to 4 are vacating 3 so that will improve.

As for several hours to kill, I would seriously consider leaving the airport terminals and either going to a hotel (Sofitel have a great spa/bar etc) or even somewhere like Windsor. The Terraces in T4 is actually very good, but gets seriously too busy towards the end of the evening.

NWA747SNN Oct 16, 2009 10:17 am

If you have never been to T5 then it's worth a visit. Take the train over and walk around for an hour. I did this a couple of weeks ago and T5 is spectacular! Even landside there is alot to see.

xxxxx Oct 16, 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by adrianjc32 (Post 12657068)
It is stunning, however the carriers that are moving across there are the ones that tend to have a passenger profile of people who have not got a clue, so it wont last! No matter how lovely it looks it will soon look like the worst of the old days in T3. Fortunately the carriers that are moving to 4 are vacating 3 so that will improve.

Indeed, 1 person travelling with 101 to see them off. I do think it's a shame that BAA haven't done more with T3 as the refurb there seems a bit half hearted but I suppose T4 was a lot better to start with.

Are there any plans for a BA/QF premium check in area around Zone G, I remember seeing a picture with blue mood lighting in the investor day presentation but haven't heard anything since?

xxxxx Oct 16, 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 12657031)

So why did BA not demand an improvement to the atmosphere when they were the main tenant? :confused::td:

BAA have only been able to do the refurb because BA left the terminal and left with it lots of spare capacity to close 50% of check in at a time. The place has been like a ghost town most of the last 12 months and only now have airlines started to move in.

Sixth Freedom Oct 16, 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN (Post 12657167)
If you have never been to T5 then it's worth a visit. Take the train over and walk around for an hour. I did this a couple of weeks ago and T5 is spectacular! Even landside there is alot to see.

You are right there is a lot to see. The baggage repacking area is quite entertaining.

adrianjc32 Oct 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 12657184)
BAA have only been able to do the refurb because BA left the terminal and left with it lots of spare capacity to close 50% of check in at a time. The place has been like a ghost town most of the last 12 months and only now have airlines started to move in.

Hopefully once more of T3 is vacated the same extra capacity there will allow a few more tweaks to certain areas....

Genius1 Oct 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 12657175)
Are there any plans for a BA/QF premium check in area around Zone G, I remember seeing a picture with blue mood lighting in the investor day presentation but haven't heard anything since?

There will be a BA/QF First enclosed check-in area with seating, like in T5. Separate Club World/Business desks will also be present in Zone G.

I believe Qantas Economy/Premium Economy are using Zone F.

adrianjc32 Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 12658202)
There will be a BA/QF First enclosed check-in area with seating, like in T5. Separate Club World/Business desks will also be present in Zone G.

I believe Qantas Economy/Premium Economy are using Zone F.

Spot on, you have been paying attention. Have a gold star.:-: