A wild and whacky way to burn miles

Old Oct 16, 09, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Talking A wild and whacky way to burn miles

Ok, "hypothetically" if one wished to use up miles with the sole purpose of spending as much time at the pointy end of the plane and in the CCR, but not actually stopping off at the destination and just heading straight back on the next flight - apart from needing to be quite, quite mad - would there be a better routing than one of the two following:

GLA-LHR-SFO-LHR-GLA or GLA-LHR-LAX-LHR-GLA?

Both these routings would allow a 2 day round trip - leaving Glasgow about 7am on one day and returning by around 7pm the following day, with around 20 hours in the air in First, and between 6-9 hours in the CCR. I had thought on LHR to JNB or CPT, but with the timing of these it would mean significant time in the airport (or an overnight stay at the destination), and i had also looked at LAX-HON-LAX on the routings above to add in the "experience" of some hours in First on AA (but i dont imagine the service would be anything special) and this would also require either an overnight stay, or about 8-10 hours in LAX airport waiting for the BA flight.

This is all a bit of fun (with the slightest outside chance i might be crazy enough to consider doing it) - so i'm curious if anyone can suggest any other valid routes for a 150,000 BA mile redemption booking for one person. Any takers?

Efin
Old Oct 16, 09, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by efincomputer View Post
... i had also looked at LAX-HON-LAX on the routings above ...
I was intrigued both here and from your thread on the QF forum.

Why do you want to go to HON, specifically?
Old Oct 16, 09, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
What counts, surely, is daylight flying time, since there is not much fun in overnight F legs when the cabin is in darkness. Not sure if there are any routes where you could do10-12 hour flights on both legs in daylight.

Anyway, for pure sheer flying experience, you can't do much better than LHR-FRA-DXB-LHR with LHR-FRA-DXB in Lufthansa F (with a good few hours in the First Class Terminal or First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, including those chauffeur transfers to/from the plane) and then EK back on the A380 in F which will knock anything else you've ever tried into the water.

Obviously you could a similar LHR-FRA-SIN-LHR routing with SQ A380 F but this would be far more expensive!
Old Oct 16, 09, 10:12 am

Programs: BD,BA
Probably the Whackiest trip I did was MAN-LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR-MAN and I only spent 1 night in Sydney...! I know its not quite the same as what the OP was getting at - but it still felt like i'd spent a week on a plane...!
Old Oct 16, 09, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
What counts, surely, is daylight flying time, since there is not much fun in overnight F legs when the cabin is in darkness. Not sure if there are any routes where you could do10-12 hour flights on both legs in daylight.
QF or CX on LHR-HKG is or can be daylight in both directions.

Would require more than 150k miles of course.
Old Oct 16, 09, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
QF or CX on LHR-HKG is or can be daylight in both directions.

Would require more than 150k miles of course.
All CX's LHR-HKG are overnight to some extent. Given the 12hr flight time and 8hr time difference that'd be impossible to achieve in optimal conditions.

HKG-LHR in daylight, sure, as with many other SE Asian destinations.
Old Oct 16, 09, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by 1A4me View Post
Probably the Whackiest trip I did was MAN-LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR-MAN and I only spent 1 night in Sydney...! I know its not quite the same as what the OP was getting at - but it still felt like i'd spent a week on a plane...!
May I ask why? Please don't say a mileage run.....
Old Oct 16, 09, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by 1A4me View Post
BRU-ORD-DFW-JFK-EZE-JFK-DFW-ORD-BRU-MUC

Morning arrival in EZE, next day evening departure

All F/C, very comfortable
Old Oct 16, 09, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
May I ask why? Please don't say a mileage run.....
Trying to emulate this guy?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-help-me.html

One of the reasons I spend so little time in the United forum!
Old Oct 16, 09, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Seated in First View Post
I'd far rather spend time in the United forum than on their flights.
Old Oct 16, 09, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I was intrigued both here and from your thread on the QF forum.

Why do you want to go to HON, specifically?
Sorry - typo there - should have been HNL - Honolulu

Efin
Old Oct 16, 09, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

Anyway, for pure sheer flying experience, you can't do much better than LHR-FRA-DXB-LHR with LHR-FRA-DXB in Lufthansa F (with a good few hours in the First Class Terminal or First Class Lounge in Frankfurt, including those chauffeur transfers to/from the plane) and then EK back on the A380 in F which will knock anything else you've ever tried into the water.

Obviously you could a similar LHR-FRA-SIN-LHR routing with SQ A380 F but this would be far more expensive!
Sadly, unless LH become a Oneworld member, that'll be a LONG time coming .

Efin
Old Oct 16, 09, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
What about LHR-MRU-LHR? The flights are a little longer than those to SFO, 12 hours vs. 10. Overnight outbound, daytime return, relatively little time on the ground at MRU, but just enough time for a shower in the lounge. I've done it.
Old Oct 17, 09, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Trying to emulate this guy?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-help-me.html

Wasnt intentionally copying the guy, but can see the clear similarities. That said - my idea was just a bit of crazyness - wishing to travel on UA that much is simply insanity. Werent the USA using that as a new interrogation technique? - forcing suspects to endure flights on UA until they cracked under the strain?

Efin
Old Oct 17, 09, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
All CX's LHR-HKG are overnight to some extent. Given the 12hr flight time and 8hr time difference that'd be impossible to achieve in optimal conditions.
They may be dark outside but if your body clock is set to UK time you can enjoy them as a daylight flight. That is what I meant.

Search this Thread