FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Connecting from BA in Bridgetown (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1006550-connecting-ba-bridgetown.html)

BlackBerryAddict Oct 16, 2009 7:20 am

Connecting from BA in Bridgetown

I wonder if the regulars to Barbados might help me out here. I'm flying BA to BGI and will have to connect to a Liat flight. BA arrives 15:50, Liat leaves 17:30, 1 hour and 40 minutes later - is there an airside connection option in BGI (I'll only take hand luggage), or failing that is this enough time to clear customs and immigration and check in again land side?

Thanks for your help

BBA

tinkerbell Oct 16, 2009 7:40 am

Hi - we did this just a couple of weeks ago - BA flight to Bridgetown - out through customs etc -checked in for flight to St Vincent - then back in through secuirity etc
Made connection OK

Motors Oct 16, 2009 7:47 am

There should be plenty of time for the connection if you're in First or Club - but being down the back might cause a problem. Chances are the luggage will take longer than immigration. If you want to skip the immigration queue I've used www.platinumservicesbgi.com before who will walk you through the 'home'/crew channel - especially useful if other flights are landing at the same time.

Have a word with Platinum Services, they may be able to collect and transfer the luggage for you while you sit in the lounge drinking rum punch!

BlackBerryAddict Oct 16, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks tinkerbell. By the time I go we will have gone back to wintertime, so the BA arrives one hour later in BGI - but the local flight of course still leaves at the same time. Would you say you made it comfortably - ie with an hour to spare?
Thanks

tinkerbell Oct 16, 2009 8:11 am

We had plenty of time as BA flight was early
But if you are travelling to St Vincent there is a later flight -which we have used in the past but hated hanging around in the airport

malcolmcampbell Oct 16, 2009 10:23 am

my experience of LIAT is that they often leave late but sometimes early - their timetable is a little bit like Italian traffic lights - advisory rather than compulsory. What we do on such trips is take a 1 hr drive to cobbler's cove on the west coast, have dinner and a good sleep, and them connect with LIAT the following day. Amd the same on the way home. If time isn't a major issue would highly recommend that aproach.

CatchThePigeon Oct 16, 2009 11:09 am

LIAT....stands for - Late If At All; Luggage In Any Territory. I quite like them :cool:

where next Oct 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Also Leave Island Any Time, or Luggage In Any Terminal. But a good airline.

Connected through BGI recently, onto Caribbean airlines, luggage checked through and transit area in bgi, no immigration/customs. If only hand luggage you should be fine

Cyba Oct 16, 2009 4:32 pm

IIRC you dont even have to clear customs. There's a turn off before entering the main terminal building for flight connections. There they'll check you in for your onward flight and if you have any luggage they'll go searching for it. The risk is that they won't find it on time but with 1:40 there should be plenty of time to do so.

tinkerbell Oct 16, 2009 4:41 pm

How does that work without a boarding card ?
You can not check in for Liat flights online

Cyba Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tinkerbell (Post 12659087)
How does that work without a boarding card ?
You can not check in for Liat flights online

There are check in desks in the transfer area.

They're quite used to people transferring in BGI and the process is reasonably efficient, if with a Caribbean twist/ feel.

where next Oct 17, 2009 2:35 pm

You still have to fill in the bgi landing cards, they keep them at the transfer desk

tinkerbell Oct 17, 2009 3:45 pm

BA give you the landing cards on the plane -so that you can fill them in before you arrive

BlackBerryAddict Oct 19, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks everyone - I'll go ahead and book my connecting flights. It almost seems a shame to fly to Barbados and not spend some time there - but I can't complain about work sending me to the Caribbean. :cool: