Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 178 JFK - LHR dep 0855 arr 2040

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Oh yes, the crucial point re jetlag is don't go to sleep on the flight of course!
Absolutely agree. Which is why I was both surprised and a bit narked the last time I took this flight, when the crew came round lowering the window blinds after the main meal service. I didn't let them do it to the windows by me, but lo and behold, when I returned from a 2 minute visit to the lavatory, down they had gone. All because one passenger wanted to sleep. Utterly absurd, in my view. With so many red-eyes to choose from why would anyone want to sleep throughout a day flight
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Fab tips - thanks everyone!^

Am now actively considering overnighting in NYC - any Starwood hotel (e.g. Sheraton) at JFK easy for getting to T7 around 630am?

The last time I used JFK was yonks ago - what are the ground transportation options now to get to Manhattan? Cab, airport shuttle and the subway are the ones I've used before. Since I'm likely to overnight twice for this trip, I may stay in town too.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:40 am

Having done this flight a few times, I reckon there's no great need to stay at the airport overnight. The taxi ride at that hour of the morning only takes 30 minutes from midtown or downtown Manhattan, and it saves the hassle of having to pack, move, pack, fly. You also get a full night in NYC, even if you do have to be up at the crack of dawn.

Cabs from the airport are $45 plus toll plus tip; to the airport, they vary, but not much difference (total around $65). You cab always use a car service, which you can book, and which is aorund the same price. Subway still works, as does Super Shuttle and its competitors.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Zamoyska
I always forget school holidays. There are plenty of seats the day before & the day after ... It's just the Fri that there is absolutely nothing the entire day. I need to be in London on the Thurs night & home in NYC on the Saturday morning so I can only really travel on the Fri. I was even willing to go to EWR
Maybe it isn't just school holidays if there's space on the Saturday, as possibly more families would want to fly out on Saturday morning than on Friday. Can't think of another reason offhand. You could always slum it in CW...
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by nyjoe4

Cabs from the airport are $45 plus toll plus tip; to the airport, they vary, but not much difference (total around $65). You cab always use a car service, which you can book, and which is aorund the same price. Subway still works, as does Super Shuttle and its competitors.
Cabs from Manhattan to JFK now also have the $45 fixed rate.
If you want to save some money on the way into town, take the Airtrain ($5) and then either the subway or the LIRR into Manhattan, but depending on when and where you are traveling, one may be a much better choice than the other. If you want to discuss this option, PM me.
I would not recommend SuperShuttle in New York. There are also buses that go to Port Authority and Grand Central, but I wouldn't recommend them, either.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just going OT slightly, but the EWR day flight seems to have been stopped recently.

Is this permanent, or is it just for the winter schedule?

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CCayley
Absolutely agree. Which is why I was both surprised and a bit narked the last time I took this flight, when the crew came round lowering the window blinds after the main meal service. I didn't let them do it to the windows by me, but lo and behold, when I returned from a 2 minute visit to the lavatory, down they had gone. All because one passenger wanted to sleep. Utterly absurd, in my view. With so many red-eyes to choose from why would anyone want to sleep throughout a day flight
This seems to happen on all long haul flights whether they be day flights or overnight ones. I can't stand it - feels as if one is being treated as a nursery group child.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I love the day flights, as long as I can spare the day I "lose" en route. The key things I find are:

1. Get up very early - 5am if you can.

2. Get a cab from Manhattan / Downtown DC / Boston to the airport. No need for an airport hotel as this basically cuts your trip down by an evening. Also, for JFK especially the airport hotels take almost as long to get to the terminal from as it would take to cab it from Manhattan.

3. Do not sleep on the flight! I refuse to allow my window blinds to be taken down (though I always make sure I sit on the less sunny, northern side of the plane)

4. Stay up until Midnight on arrival.

The early start is jarring, but by the time you're on the plane it feels fine.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Maybe it isn't just school holidays if there's space on the Saturday, as possibly more families would want to fly out on Saturday morning than on Friday. Can't think of another reason offhand. You could always slum it in CW...
Nothing in CW either! Only options are BA1 or BA3 ... It's very strange that there is absolutely nothing ex LHR given the amount of daily flights ...

Anyway, the seat angels must be looking down on me because a seat in F has just appeared on the 183 but my girlfriend has now decided to come back to NY with me so I need 2 & there is absolutely nothing else in any class. Looks like we're going to have to trek across London on Fri morning to LCY & try the new service ...
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by House
If you are on the east coast for only a few days before heading back to Blighty this should not be too much hardship. I like to think of it as 10am UK time when I am there.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by House

3. Do not sleep on the flight! I refuse to allow my window blinds to be taken down (though I always make sure I sit on the less sunny, northern side of the plane)

4. Stay up until Midnight on arrival.

The early start is jarring, but by the time you're on the plane it feels fine.
1. Not jarring at all if you're already up at 530 every week day!

3. If I end up doing this I'll want to MFU to F both ways to get the most out of the day flights - you can't sleep AND have bubbly at the same time (morning hours be d*mned)!! (Great tip on sitting on the port side tho - 1A it is! And woe be unto those who dare touch my window screens!!)

4. will most likely be moot by the time I'm done quaffing for 6 hrs! ^

Now all I need to do is have my PTA book me a 1-way u/g to A with a CW ticket (not sure what bucket that'll be tho - C, D, I? - anyone?), then I'll only need to MFU once... (am already seeing the A fare quadrillion-times cabin bonus miles WOOHOO!)

One more time: What has FT (you lot!) turned me into??!?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If you are on the east coast for only a few days before heading back to Blighty this should not be too much hardship. I like to think of it as 10am UK time when I am there.
Very true - and often the case when I've done this in the past. Though it seems 5am isn't actually all that early for the OP

Forgot to add something else I like about the day flights, which is the uncrowded terminals. T7 with priority security is never too bad I know, but the lounges get nice and full and the main gate areas are rammed. Not a problem for the BA178 or indeed the BA186 (I think) that used to do the same run from EWR and hopefully will get resumed at some point.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
3. If I end up doing this I'll want to MFU to F both ways to get the most out of the day flights - you can't sleep AND have bubbly at the same time (morning hours be d*mned)!! (Great tip on sitting on the port side tho - 1A it is! And woe be unto those who dare touch my window screens!!)

Now all I need to do is have my PTA book me a 1-way u/g to A with a CW ticket (not sure what bucket that'll be tho - C, D, I? - anyone?), then I'll only need to MFU once... (am already seeing the A fare quadrillion-times cabin bonus miles WOOHOO!)

One more time: What has FT (you lot!) turned me into??!?

I am doing just what you suggested, using the ex CAI fare sale to get a weekend in Egypt plus a short break in the big Apple fvery cheaply along with 480 TPs.

I have 1K booked on the way out to JFK and 1A on the way back. My challenge now is to balance the champers consumption so that it doesn't render me totally comatose.

And your final point is perfect. What has FT turned me into as well.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I am on this flight on Sunday...anyone care to post a J menu? I'll be getting a cab from the IC Times Square at about 6am which should mean an early enough start to destroy jet lag.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I am on this flight on Sunday...anyone care to post a J menu? I'll be getting a cab from the IC Times Square at about 6am which should mean an early enough start to destroy jet lag.
Shouldn't be much more than a 30 min cab ride, even better on a Sunday morning. It's a great flight for avoiding the jet lag. I've taken it three times now and, for me, it works far better than the overnight flights.

Happy flightings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.